Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Bruce kicking Nils ass on BITUSA and TOL tours?


Recommended Posts

Guys i know that after E Street Reunin Bruce stopped practicing guitar so Nils looked like a beast but i was listening to a many live recordings from 1984,1985 and 1988 and i think Nils was not better than Bruce at all.Listen toi Prove It All Night live 1984 after Nils unimpressive short solo Bruce comes with the vengence with great melodical killer solos.in the 80s Bruce still practiced guitar. In the 1988 Bruce was in great guitar form check Cover Me Milano 1988.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nils is a far superior guitar player and always has been. Bruce could never handle the fretboard dexterity of, say, Youngstown. And that is clearly why Bruce gave Nils the Purple Rain solo. Bruce could never have handled that.

Nils has a lot of finesse as a guitar player, whereas Bruce is more meat and potatoes. To me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Prove it all nite81 said:

can we talk about the subject please or should i change the title cause i think you know what i'm talking about .kickin some ass on guitar 

Good heavens, no. Makes it all the more interesting.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prove it all nite81 said:

can we talk about the subject please 

Blimey. I wouldn't recognise the place if we did that!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neil Young said in an interview back in the early 80s that other than Hendrix, Lofgren was the best "axe grinder" he ever played with. Now, Springsteen is definitely a good rhythm guitar player who does have a knack for laying down some tasty string tickling here and there, but as far as technique and finesse, it's Nils hands down.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about other boots, besides the official released downloads. But it seems the mixer of said downloads, mixes Nils guitar so low you can barely here him. I don't get it! Even Steve's solos are louder! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prove it all nite81 said:

can we talk about the subject please or should i change the title cause i think you know what i'm talking about .kickin some ass on guitar 

image.png.c0afb494ad570f58161ac7d07a4db675.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

image.png.c0afb494ad570f58161ac7d07a4db675.png

Lighten up?!?! On the deathly serious subject of guitar playing from 37 years ago?!?! You’ve lost your mind.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No question Nils is one of the finest technically skilled guitarists of our generation.

That being said, comparing Nils' style and Bruce's is like comparing a figure skater and a hockey player. 

Both are skaters, but have developed a different skill set, based on their own abilities and desire. 

Both Bruce and Nils are great, they just do different things - but even Bruce has often praised Nils abilities, calling him one of the best ever

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Prove it all nite81 said:

Guys i know that after E Street Reunin Bruce stopped practicing guitar so Nils looked like a beast but i was listening to a many live recordings from 1984,1985 and 1988 and i think Nils was not better than Bruce at all.Listen toi Prove It All Night live 1984 after Nils unimpressive short solo Bruce comes with the vengence with great melodical killer solos.in the 80s Bruce still practiced guitar. In the 1988 Bruce was in great guitar form check Cover Me Milano 1988.

Without a doubt the guitar playing of Springsteen has technically evolved since 1984. A good example is his acoustic guitar playing: just listen to the Bridge Benefit 1986 (that first alternative BISUA), the Christic Benefit 1990 (slide guitar on Reason To Believe), the 1996 Joad tour (where Elvis Costello was in awe what a many different things Springsteen could with do with a acoustic guitar) and the Devils&Dust 2005 tour (as he told Rolling Stone before the tour began, "Nils and some other folks came in for rehearsals to give me a sense of if I wanted to go with something bigger. But what tends to be dramatic is either the full band or you onstage by yourself. Playing alone creates a sort of drama and intimacy for the audience: They know it's just them and just you." He would further explain his challenge to Esquire during the tour: "I don't have a piano and a sax and drums behind me on this tour. So I had to re-approach the guitar as an instrument of solo accompaniment. It becomes a bit of a new land, and I'll play it in ways I've never played it before. I'm constantly asking myself, How can I wring as much music and meaning as possible out of those six strings? One thing I do know: With the correct playing style, you can summon up an orchestra) (and the acoustic The Rising is to die for)

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

That's what a local reporter said after the concert at the City Hall, '81 ... sort of. I rang him up and rebuked him saying 'How very dare you!' ... sort of. We DID agree that it had been a bloomin' wonderful evening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Nils is a far superior guitar player and always has been. Bruce could never handle the fretboard dexterity of, say, Youngstown. And that is clearly why Bruce gave Nils the Purple Rain solo. Bruce could never have handled that.

Nils has a lot of finesse as a guitar player, whereas Bruce is more meat and potatoes. To me.

Introduction in the Brian Hiatt book: "Sprinsteen's rhytm guitar is more of a driving force behind his recordings than most listeners might realize, for instance: the brillant mix engineer Bob Clearmountain tells me that Springsteen refers to his electric rhythm parts as "the primall scrub"'. And in that book Nils Lofgren is nothing but a small footnote. His most honourable mention is the Tunnel of Love electric guitar solo break

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

No question Nils is one of the finest technically skilled guitarists of our generation.

That being said, comparing Nils' style and Bruce's is like comparing a figure skater and a hockey player. 

Both are skaters, but have developed a different skill set, based on their own abilities and desire. 

Both Bruce and Nils are great, they just do different things - but even Bruce has often praised Nils abilities, calling him one of the best ever

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

Really? Here a direct comparison between Bruce and Nils. When I first heard on bootleg Springsteen playing this song I was immediately struck by his guitar playing. When hearing the Lofgren version, I do not think in a million miles about how Nils might be a skilled guitar player. No sir, I am quite struck by the voice of Nils Lofgren on Man At the Top, not by his guitar playing

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rockaway88 said:

I feel like Nils didn't feel comfortable maybe fully showcasing his full skill set on those tours because he was still new to the band.

 

3 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

No question Nils is one of the finest technically skilled guitarists of our generation.

That being said, comparing Nils' style and Bruce's is like comparing a figure skater and a hockey player. 

Both are skaters, but have developed a different skill set, based on their own abilities and desire. 

Both Bruce and Nils are great, they just do different things - but even Bruce has often praised Nils abilities, calling him one of the best ever

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

 

 

What's the rock 'n roll equivalent of "client golf"? :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JimCT said:

 

What's the rock 'n roll equivalent of "client golf"? :D 

I don't get this fully maybe, unless this is the answer. As "Client Golf" the client always wins! Are you saying Nils was letting Bruce win to keep his job? :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

Well, according to, indeed, legend, it was Bruce's guitar playing which made him world-famous in New Jersey, way back then. Or so it seems.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...