Greasy Lake Community

Bruce kicking Nils ass on BITUSA and TOL tours?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't get this fully maybe, unless this is the answer. As "Client Golf" the client always wins! Are you saying Nils was letting Bruce win to keep his job? :D

Sometimes you might let them win. Or if they know they're not close, you can let them lose by just a little. It's all about giving them an experience to feel good about themselves.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

No question Nils is one of the finest technically skilled guitarists of our generation.

That being said, comparing Nils' style and Bruce's is like comparing a figure skater and a hockey player. 

Both are skaters, but have developed a different skill set, based on their own abilities and desire. 

Both Bruce and Nils are great, they just do different things - but even Bruce has often praised Nils abilities, calling him one of the best ever

Bruce will be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing entertainer and singer....his guitar playing is not what made him legendary

But the thing is

For me 

Its always this 

Nils may have taught me respect for the guitar, but Bruce gave me true love for it

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, This is The Way said:

What about this fella, can he play....

image.png.45d436d76b917f7a3fd03ca333448dd9.png

Please 

Im eatting breakfast

That man gives me indigestion even when im not eatting 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

But the thing is

For me 

Its always this 

Nils may have taught me respect for the guitar, but Bruce gave me true love for it

And that's not even the best one! 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Sometimes you might let them win. Or if they know they're not close, you can let them lose by just a little. It's all about giving them an experience to feel good about themselves.

And in return Bruce gave Nils permission for his trampoline act?

(Tbh this is probably nonsense, but no one did mention the trampoline yet)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Prove it all nite81 said:

Guys i know that after E Street Reunin Bruce stopped practicing guitar so Nils looked like a beast but i was listening to a many live recordings from 1984,1985 and 1988 and i think Nils was not better than Bruce at all.Listen toi Prove It All Night live 1984 after Nils unimpressive short solo Bruce comes with the vengence with great melodical killer solos.in the 80s Bruce still practiced guitar. In the 1988 Bruce was in great guitar form check Cover Me Milano 1988.

In those days Bruce (mostly) used the same guitar on each song with slight adjustments on what we now see in the Rock/Roll Hall Of Fame. With the exception of Seeds/88; BIUSA solos and so forth - the 1980’s really weren’t his time to shine on guitar. Certainly there were some good one-offs like 'Candy/84’ and 'Adam/88’ sounded terrific too! But his guitar playing picked up TREMENDOUSLY throughout the 90’s and into this century. So, I can understand what your hearing on those older tapes but make no mistake … haha … ain’t nobody topping Nils my friend.

But if you really wanna hear him play - check out some of his pre-E Street music.

Brad

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't know about other boots, besides the official released downloads. But it seems the mixer of said downloads, mixes Nils guitar so low you can barely here him. I don't get it! Even Steve's solos are louder! 

Sort of “revisionist history” in the Nugs world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

From Bruce's own lips, "(Nils) plays ten times better than I do".

And so, this thread comes to an end, can't say fairer than that.......................

2 hours ago, This is The Way said:

And so, this thread comes to an end, can't say fairer than that.......................

Well based on the question posed in the original post, I’d say that the thread would only come to an end depending on when Bruce said that quote… 1988, or current era?

11 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

But if you really wanna hear him play - check out some of his pre-E Street music.

This indeed!

The disclaimer is Steel Mill and the Bruce Springsteen Band are not exactly everyone's type of music. Just like Seeger, acoustic Bruce and the Lopez/Sancious/Carter line up of the ESB; and nothing wrong with that, good that we don't all like the same, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

No bodies mentioned Steve :(

I like Steve's too, but he just doesn't play enough interesting parts anymore. However he still plays more that Patti...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Well based on the question posed in the original post, I’d say that the thread would only come to an end depending on when Bruce said that quote… 1988, or current era?

I think it's in the Reunion Tour programme, and also in a documentary.

• Like 1

Nils is a better technical guitar player than Bruce, but I prefer Bruce’s style and guitar sound.  Nils can flat out smoke a guitar though.  Best I have seen live is Stevie Ray Vaughan, Billy Gibbons, Duane Roland, Gary Rossington among a few others. For me Nils would fall in the group behind Billy Gibbons and SRV, and though I never saw Hendrix live (My MIL did) they all fall behind him. I also love the Blues and place Robert Johnson in that upper echelon of guitar greats with Billy G and SRV, beautiful style and set the tone for many others to follow. 
Back to the intent of the post, I agree, I also liked Bruce’s  guitar better on those tours than Nils.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Nils is a better technical guitar player than Bruce, but I prefer Bruce’s style and guitar sound.  Nils can flat out smoke a guitar though.  Best I have seen live is Stevie Ray Vaughan, Billy Gibbons, Duane Roland, Gary Rossington among a few others. For me Nils would fall in the group behind Billy Gibbons and SRV, and though I never saw Hendrix live (My MIL did) they all fall behind him. I also love the Blues and place Robert Johnson in that upper echelon of guitar greats with Billy G and SRV, beautiful style and set the tone for many others to follow. 
Back to the intent of the post, I agree, I also liked Bruce’s  guitar better on those tours than Nils.  

I always describe Bruce's playing as muddy. Wouldn't that fit with Billy Gibbons more than Nils? 

I always kind of put Nils in with the Jazzy Fusion guitarist, has anyone listen to Al Di Meola! The fastest guitarist ever! 

12 hours ago, Lampi said:

This indeed!

The disclaimer is Steel Mill and the Bruce Springsteen Band are not exactly everyone's type of music. Just like Seeger, acoustic Bruce and the Lopez/Sancious/Carter line up of the ESB; and nothing wrong with that, good that we don't all like the same, etc.

From the small snippets i have heard over the years Steel mill is a thousand times more agreeable to my ears than anything with washboards and banjos

Actually i think Earth would be a fun and enjoyable  listen 

7 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

I like Steve's too, but he just doesn't play enough interesting parts anymore. However he still plays more that Patti...

I have to tell ya … I’ve been listening to Springsteen shows for nearly 40 Years and until I saw Steve play solo in Atlanta a few years ago - I wouldn’t have known he was such a great player!! I was totally taken aback - so if you wanna see/hear how good Little Steven really is then check out his live cds from his last solo tour. 

Brad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

I have to tell ya … I’ve been listening to Springsteen shows for nearly 40 Years and until I saw Steve play solo in Atlanta a few years ago - I wouldn’t have known he was such a great player!! I was totally taken aback - so if you wanna see/hear how good Little Steven really is then check out his live cds from his last solo tour. 

Brad

Brad, recently I saw a performance on YouTube and it was pretty good. From 75-81, for songs like ESS you knew he was pretty damn good, but I wish he brought that out more.

• Like 1

I love all the ESB guitar players*

Give everyone a guitar 

Turn Patti up for once 

*(This love does not extend to you know who with the messy guitar strings) 

de1f4826bef8cbd5b610c356ecfae35f.jpg

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I love all the ESB guitar players*

Give everyone a guitar 

Turn Patti up for once 

*(This love does not extend to you know who with the messy guitar strings) 

de1f4826bef8cbd5b610c356ecfae35f.jpg

What about Tommy, that guy that reuses the GOTJ solo for every song ever?

I've been listening to and watching The Struts after reading a post about them on FB. Very entertaining stuff!

And there's dear Tom, as has been said, regurgitating the same stuff. Heck, and here's me thinking what he did on TGOTJ was a one-off.

• Haha 1