Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Bruce in Life


Recommended Posts

Yesterday moving dirt around and listening to The Big Muddy.  About the time the lyrics below started I dug up a snake. Luckily not poisonous 

“Well I had a friend, said "You watch what you do
Poison snake bites you and you're poison too"“

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Muddy” is after all a moral tune treading treacherous ground shadowing characters rich in detail. Sticky situations and moral conundrums abound and are expressed effortlessly (“Sooner or later it all comes down to money").

During the Guthrie Prize honoring last week, there was a reference to Pete Seeger. With The Big Muddy, Springsteen offers a nod to Pete Seeger again, a title borrowed from the song that TV network executives tried to stop Seeger from playing on The Smoothers Brothers Show during the Vietnam War.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Big Muddy is probably in my bottom 5 Springsteen songs of all time. Unlistenable to me.

Gee maaaaaaate 

Thats pretty looooooow

There are 13 songs on WS plus Rhinestone cowboy on the live barn album 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Gee maaaaaaate 

Thats pretty looooooow

There are 13 songs on WS plus Rhinestone cowboy on the live barn album 

Great point. I tried to block that monstrosity out of my mind. Bottom 20 then.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Great point. I tried to block that monstrosity out of my mind. Bottom 20 then.

That's more like it

I knew it wasn't that bad :lol:

 

(I still really love it)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That's more like it

I knew it wasn't that bad :lol:

 

(I still really love it)

I don’t get the song. Has absolutely no flow and his singing style on that one is somewhere between disinterested and grating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t get the song. Has absolutely no flow and his singing style on that one is somewhere between disinterested and grating.

I like it in the same vain as hay blue eyes for some reason 

I just feel the heat and mugginess of summer coming off it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Gee maaaaaaate 

Thats pretty looooooow

There are 13 songs on WS plus Rhinestone cowboy on the live barn album 

The worrying thing is that he played those songs to someone & they thought that it was a good idea to release them.

If you turned up about 5pm at a Ladies Lunch when they were all hugging the floor you would probably get a better version of Rhinestone Cowboy.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never liked it on the album or live in 92, but listening to the latest Nugs release, it has grown on me. Don’t think I had listened to it in 20 years or more.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, 65pacecar said:

Yesterday moving dirt around and listening to The Big Muddy.  About the time the lyrics below started I dug up a snake. Luckily not poisonous 

“Well I had a friend, said "You watch what you do
Poison snake bites you and you're poison too"“

That line about poison is a lift to "Paris Trout", a 1988 novel by Pete Dexter. In the novel the reference is to a different animal "Her brothers said when the poison fox bit you, you were poison too"

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just glad the snake wasn't up to Morrison's standard

 

"Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake, he's long, seven miles
Ride the snake
He's old and his skin is cold"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce's real Snake Song is Pink Cadillac (more in the 1984-1985 live versions than in the studio version, obviously).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Referring back to ‘Bruce in Life’: A few years ago I met a guy called Ralph who was looking for employment as he had just lost his job. Ralph was worried he wouldn’t get a job as he had a court case pending. True story.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 10:53 PM, Jertucky said:

I don’t get the song. Has absolutely no flow and his singing style on that one is somewhere between disinterested and grating.

Yeah it does just sort of sit there and stick out like a sore thumb on the record. But I did feel the live versions breathed life (and context) into it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Yeah it does just sort of sit there and stick out like a sore thumb on the record. But I did feel the live versions breathed life (and context) into it

I’ve never heard a live version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

I'm just glad the snake wasn't up to Morrison's standard

 

"Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake, he's long, seven miles
Ride the snake
He's old and his skin is cold"

Wrong thread i know 

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...