Greasy Lake Community

What I Miss Most About Being a Teenager...

...Having a young Bruce Springsteen...

n3fl86u43yfz.jpg

He took me to another place...A place of uninhibited joy. He took me to a place where rock 'n roll was a true celebration of life. He took away my awkwardness, my fear and sadness of dealing with a learning disability and struggling in school. He took away the heartbreak of losing my first girlfriend. He gave me hope...

But as we all know...time waits for no one. When I was 18, I thought I had all the time in the world.

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I miss that music and friends were the center of my life, wherever I was, I knew there was a world out there that was better and that the powers that be (parents, teachers, ...) had no access to. When seminal albums came out we would play them all the time, so it seemed that for a while all life existed WITHIN that music.

Now music is still important to me, but it is also just music, and me and my friends rarely listen to the same thing at the same time, it has become more private, less pivotal somehow...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JustDan said:

...Having a young Bruce Springsteen...

n3fl86u43yfz.jpg

He took me to another place...A place of uninhibited joy. He took me to a place where rock 'n roll was a true celebration of life. He took away my awkwardness, my fear and sadness of dealing with a learning disability and struggling in school. He took away the heartbreak of losing my first girlfriend. He gave me hope...

But as we all know...time waits for no one. When I was 18, I thought I had all the time in the world.

Dude.....!!

17 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Dude.....!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

• Like 1

Great post Dan. I never had that connection with music and I really don't know why. I do get emotional mostly with joy then sadness over some music. Mostly Bruce's. I could on and on here, but I don't want to take away from Dan's great post, because it is very important to some. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I became a teenager when The River was in the charts. Bruce opened the door of possibilities for me and it’s worked out well. I’d love to thank him for that and for being my companion over the past forty or so years. Thanks too to the OP for such a thoughtful post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gus said:

Nothing. Hated it.

We would have been freinds at school :)

You could have come to the cricket with my dad and I (we would have to ask @Jimmy James also ;))

The cricket was so good in the 80's 

The summers just want on for ever and cricket was free to air

My worship of Richard Haddlee (now a Sir) was good practice for when i refound Bruce many years latter

37223.jpg

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

We would have been freinds at school :)

You could have come to the cricket with my dad and I (we would have to ask @Jimmy James also ;))

The cricket was so good in the 80's 

The summers just want on for ever and cricket was free to air

My worship of Richard Haddlee (now a Sir) was good practice for when i refound Bruce many years latter

37223.jpg

house_cricket.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 65pacecar said:

house_cricket.png

:lol:

Ok you can come to the cricket too ! 

My Dad loved American cars

But we walk from our place to the ground because its quicker on match day ! 

Or mum drops us off and we walk home

I had a praying manyas on me last night 

Strange how once its green its not scary

Wish i had taken a picture 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, This is The Way said:

having hair on my head........

That's what I miss most now. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Thank you.  It’s a long drive from here but I’ll make it ;-)  Shame we don’t supply Holden anymore, I could get a free trip for a Design visit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Or just go to Texas

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/sports/cricket-leagues-grow-north-texas-collin-county/287-921a25eb-cb51-47cf-ac20-9e9fca69ca03

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Oh this is wonderful

And i would love up go to Texas

@balboa08 what do you think ?

Ive often wondered how Indian immigrants in the US cope without local cricket

If i win lotto you,  me, @Jimmy James and Balboa08 are ganna go see this on the next Bruce tour !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Thank you.  It’s a long drive from here but I’ll make it ;-)  Shame we don’t supply Holden anymore, I could get a free trip for a Design visit. 

Awsome !

My mother used to make us chicken sandwiches and dad would buy drinks and chocolate bars for lunch but they used to serve Jimny's pies at Carrisbrook - i guess/ hope they still do at the new covered stadium now days - mind you the cricket moved to the university oval - a really lovelly very English looking ground - a bit far too walk to walk from home 

I feel a bit sad about Holden being killed off in Australia, it had a long and proud history 

our new cop cars are going to be Skoda surperbs :(

(Could they not at least be Audis or VW 's)

My Dad loved Chrysler and of course many years latter our Jeep had almost the same motor

I still have a soft spot for ISUZU - no longer any ties to GM but i just love the look of the DMax and  lots of big rigs driving around the place

• Like 1

I was thinking about what @JustDan and @gus said

It can be brutal being a teenager

I was a bit like @Jimmy James said, i just emjoyed the music and didnt think too deeply about it (my political affiliations were already set in stone) 

I remember at intermediate school (like junior high but only two years at about age 12 & 13)

I had so many freinds

Then my best freind went to off a different high school from most of us  but still i had a big group of freinds the next two years 

Then poof - i dpnt know what happened (it wasn't because of the cricket) but my circle of freinds got smaller and smaller

Our High school year was streamed (the brightest kids were in the top class, the not so bright in the bottom class- i was in a less demanding (ie borring) average class compaired to my freinds

I gravitated back to my friends from primary school who were now in my class and a cousin 

The last year (high school is 5 years) was the worst - ir seemed like all my freinds had left to start work or go up polytech (community college?) And they quickly developed new interests

It just gets harder and harder to make friends 

The only freind we had made in Wanganui was the stray  tabby cat dear Tibby who saddly died at the end of summer

If i thoight it was hard to make new freinds at high school that was nothing on now 

Till one day your sitting at home on the internet because it seems like all the people in the world that you know are on a Sprinsteen message board

But its ok :)

• Like 2