Greasy Lake Community

The Only Slightly Official May 26th Part 22 Bruce’s farm SiriusXM SetlistVision thread "Radio, Radio"

• Born To Walk changed the title to The Only Slightly Official May 26th Part 22 Bruce’s farm SiriusXM SetlistVision thread "Radio, Radio"

Some good choices would be:

One more song the radio won't like (Kathleen Edwards).

Video killed the radio star.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Amen! 

I’ve never heard Bruce make any mention of the Replacements. Westerberg is up there with Springsteen for me as a songwriter, though with an entirely style. A master at turning a phrase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

I’ve never heard Bruce make any mention of the Replacements. Westerberg is up there with Springsteen for me as a songwriter, though with an entirely style. A master at turning a phrase.

@Wasted in the heat turned me on to them a handful of years ago. 

• Like 1

the MODERN LOVERS "Roadrunner"

One-two-three-four-five-six!

Roadrunner, roadrunner
Going faster miles an hour
Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop
With the radio on

On 5/21/2021 at 12:16 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

So 1950s girl pop ?

From his mom's kitchen table with tons of  extra sugar 

And what about 1980s girl pop?

• Love Love Love! 1

Here is the similar 'Radio' emission from Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour episode 18, season 1: https://www.themetimeradio.com/episode-18-radio/

Somebody on the lake said that Bruce is forever in the wake of Bob Dylan. I don't think so. The song selection made by Bruce is much much more daring and always risking a separate vision. Bruce might throw in this song in the show next week, don't think Bob will ever will ...

• Love Love Love! 1

Easy to forget Bruce has told over the years how important the radio was to him.

In the early days, when he did not have a record player (anymore) for a few years and all new music he heard was through the radio (I hope I remember this story  correctly; could be in an interview in the Backstreets book).

In stories before Independence Day on The River Tour.

And WOAD was apparently meant to be like listening to the radio for an hour-all different styles of music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Easy to forget Bruce has told over the years how important the radio was to him.

In the early days, when he did not have a record player (anymore) for a few years and all new music he heard was through the radio (I hope I remember this story  correctly; could be in an interview in the Backstreets book).

Springsteen inducts Bob Dylan (1988). In one of the most memorable Rock Hall speeches ever, Bruce Springsteen paid tribute to his hero Bob Dylan:

“Thanks. The first time that I heard Bob Dylan I was in the car with my mother, and we were listening to, I think, maybe WMCA, and on came that snare shot that sounded like somebody kicked open the door to your mind, from ‘Like a Rolling Stone.’ And my mother, who was – she was no stiff with rock and roll, she liked the music, she listened – she sat there for a minute, she looked at me, and she said, ‘That guy can’t sing.’ But I knew she was wrong. I sat there, I didn’t say nothin’, but I knew that I was listening to the toughest voice that I had ever heard. It was lean, and it sounded somehow simultaneously young and adult, and I ran out and I bought the single. And I came home, I ran home, and I put it on my 45, and they must have made a mistake at the factory, because a Lenny Welch song came on. And the label was wrong, so I ran back, and I got it, and I played it, then I went out and I got Highway 61, and it was all I played for weeks. I looked at the cover, with Bob, with that satin blue jacket and the Triumph Motorcycle shirt. And when I was a kid, Bob’s voice somehow – it thrilled and scared me. It made me feel kind of irresponsibly innocent. And it still does. But it reached down and touched what little worldliness I think a 15-year-old kid, in high school, in New Jersey had in him at the time. Dylan was – he was a revolutionary, man, the way that Elvis freed your body, Bob freed your mind.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 2:00 AM, Lampi said:

In stories before Independence Day on The River Tour.

And WOAD was apparently meant to be like listening to the radio for an hour-all different styles of music.

Oh that makes me love WOAD even more

I remember a story similar to the Dylan one about him hearing the Beatles for the first time (love me do ?) In the car with his mom and he had to race down the road to call his girlfriend from a phone box to tell her all about it

I can definatly  relate after hearing prove it from winterland for the first time 

Only a short snatch of The Ramones before Bruce welcomes us. Now talking about listening on a Japanese transistor to two AM stations.

Talking about the importance of his radio.

• Like 1