Greasy Lake Community

We farewelled my Mother yesterday. She's gone to join my Dad.  I've been listening to Across the Border quite a lot.   This song works in a number of different contexts.   One of only a handful of songs that can make me cry.   I always liked it, but I've had a whole new appreciation the last few years.  I'm beginning to think it might be the best song on GOTJ.

I like the 90s versions best.  In recent years he's messed around with the melody slightly, and it doesn't work so well for me.  Best version of all is the TV version with Danny.

• Like 1
  • Hug 5

Sorry to hear about the loss of you mother Gretsch.

Agree with you about the song. It’s the best on the album hands down to me. 
On a somewhat related note, we found out this morning that one of my daughters’ classmates died in a car crash last night. Great family, three of their kids were in the same grades as my three oldest. A truly high quality family. This morning while doing the dishes I had Spotify shuffling songs and Warren Zevon’s Keep Me in Your Heart came on. Absolutely crushed me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dear @Gretsch Country Gentleman

Sorry to read about Ma Gretsch

I hope you can  take comfort in the thought  she is now with your dad now

Across the boarder is indeed a beautiful song

I too love the version with Danny the best

Did you ever get your mum to listen to much Bruce ?

I bet there is a huge club in heaven for parents of Bruce fans - Doug Springsteen is the chair 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, and I agree at times like these music has an important part in the coping and healing process, I remember when my dad died the song that brought it all home for me was Independence Day, to this day my favourite Clarence sax solo and right up there as one of my favourite Bruce tracks of all time.

I am probably preaching to the converted here, but I would point you in the direction of another version of Across The Border by Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris with Neil Young on harmonica, just pure gold...just in case you were nor aware of it, in the meantime stay strong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Dear @Gretsch Country Gentleman

Sorry to read about Ma Gretsch

I hope you can  take comfort in the thought  she is now with your dad now

Across the boarder is indeed a beautiful song

I too love the version with Danny the best

Did you ever get your mum to listen to much Bruce ?

I bet there is a huge club in heaven for parents of Bruce fans - Doug Springsteen is the chair 

She wasn't into rock, but when Nebraska came out (my last year of High School) she took a liking to some of that, especially Mansion on the Hill.   I think she was just glad I wasn't into metal.

• Hug 1

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, and I agree at times like these music has an important part in the coping and healing process, I remember when my dad died the song that brought it all home for me was Independence Day, to this day my favourite Clarence sax solo and right up there as one of my favourite Bruce tracks of all time.

I am probably preaching to the converted here, but I would point you in the direction of another version of Across The Border by Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris with Neil Young on harmonica, just pure gold...just in case you were nor aware of it, in the meantime stay strong.

Yes I think a lot of people who've lost their dad are moved by Independence Day and My Father's House.  Thanks, yes I've always liked Emmylou and co's version, but nothing beats Bruce and Phantom Dan.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your loss. This would probably mean nothing/very little to you, but know that I’m listening ‘Across the Border’ for you and your dear ones right now. May God bless you.

• Like 2

I'm sorry for you loss. The Bruce and Danny 1998 version is indeed the one.

"I'd written most of the Tom Joad record and I realized I got to the ending I said I felt I needed something that felt hopefull you know, something that felt hopeful because that's always there, that's always beckon, it always feels possible, it always is possible. It was about somebody crossing over into a world of acceptance, you know, of understanding and compassion, then tollerance into a home place, to a place where there was love given and received, there was work to do ... "

Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stone State of the Union, 1998

But I am highly impressed by the Freehold 1996 version too, especially that eerie harmonica

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Frank said:

Sorry to hear about your loss. This would probably mean nothing/very little to you, but know that I’m listening ‘Across the Border’ for you and your dear ones right now. May God bless you.

Thanks, I appreciate it

16 hours ago, el sergio said:

I'm sorry for you loss. The Bruce and Danny 1998 version is indeed the one.

"I'd written most of the Tom Joad record and I realized I got to the ending I said I felt I needed something that felt hopefull you know, something that felt hopeful because that's always there, that's always beckon, it always feels possible, it always is possible. It was about somebody crossing over into a world of acceptance, you know, of understanding and compassion, then tollerance into a home place, to a place where there was love given and received, there was work to do ... "

Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stone State of the Union, 1998

But I am highly impressed by the Freehold 1996 version too, especially that eerie harmonica

Thanks for the tip. That's a gorgeous version

This song has inspired me a few times when watershed events were going to happen in my personal life being it on a professional or a personal level in my life. 

Found a 4 page interesting article about Cindy Hunter Morgan finding confort in the GOTJ album:

"Last November, in a post about Bruce Springsteen’s “Highway Patrolman,” I wrote of Nebraska’s palliative effects. I listened to that album without moderation during a hard time in high school. Years later, I listened to another Springsteen album during another hard time. It wasn’t vinyl, as Nebraska was, but a CD I played and replayed on continuous loop every night when I went to bed – Springsteen’s voice always in my head, flattening my grief into something almost smooth. This was just after my grandmother died. She was ninety-one. I was thirty. We’d shared a good stretch of life, but grief is not bound by reason".  Border Ballads: Bruce Springsteen as Corridista

• Like 2