Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

The show I went to was half fans and half look at me with my SOB programme in front of stage in my designer clobber types

YES.  We were at Love Rocks NYC last week, and the primary concern of several folks in the balcony was trying to figure out how to Check In on Facebook.  To our 22 y/o's credit, he didn't take a single photo the entire time, he just sat there and listened to the music/artists.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jertucky said:

$500-$850 is a “drop in the bucket” for a very small minority of people. 

it would be a full bucket for me especially times 2. i could have 3 weeks in the canaries or the greek islands for that, and at my age i know which i would pick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to seeing some reviews of these shows when they happen, but curious as to why some people say "seen it once, wouldn't go again". Now I get the ticket/hotel/flights cost etc but would you say the same about a regular Bruce solo show? 

Personally I think (hope) this is a new show and would be very surprised if it is a replica of the first run. There will be some different songs, some surprises, and it won't be all the same stories as the show on Netflix. Why would he do exactly the same show?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andys67 said:

Looking forward to seeing some reviews of these shows when they happen, but curious as to why some people say "seen it once, wouldn't go again". Now I get the ticket/hotel/flights cost etc but would you say the same about a regular Bruce solo show? 

Personally I think (hope) this is a new show and would be very surprised if it is a replica of the first run. There will be some different songs, some surprises, and it won't be all the same stories as the show on Netflix. Why would he do exactly the same show?

Musically the show was brilliant just didn't get on with the spoken stuff which is why I wouldn't want to go again

I'll take this instead for my first post-covid gig....& for only 60 Bucks a ticket vs 850.00, I'll get More music, less pontificating & a first-rate rock 'n roll band...Done! 

1919780796_ScreenShot2021-06-12at10_24_07AM.thumb.png.ad494f23fed6f603ef82c6f3d17f1ddf.png

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

4 hours ago, Andys67 said:

In the recent Sirius interview he said that the show will basically stay the same with very few changes.

As its intended as a "show" rather than a regular concert, changing it would be a bit like the cast of Les Mis freshening things up by throwing in a few songs from Miss Saigon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JustDan said:

I'll take this instead for my first post-covid gig....& for only 60 Bucks a ticket vs 850.00, I'll get More music, less pontificating & a first-rate rock 'n roll band...Done! 

1919780796_ScreenShot2021-06-12at10_24_07AM.thumb.png.ad494f23fed6f603ef82c6f3d17f1ddf.png

That will be a great show Dan, I hope you have a great evening. Saw them at the Ryman a few years back and it was a wonderful show, Jason is a top notch writer and virtuoso on the guitar. His lovely wife is phenomenal on the fiddle, too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, judyg said:

Just out of curiosity, I checked on tickets for Hamilton. I was able to get orchestra tickets for several nights for $350. The same ticket for Bruce’s show was priced at twice that. 

I did the very same thing yesterday:  fifth row center orchestra (I mean dead honkin' center) for Hamilton is $499.

I purposely stayed away from seat prices for The Music Man.  Talk about a license to print money:  we don't have a theater, we don't have a seating chart, but you can either buy tickets to see the show or pay your child's college tuition bill.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judyg said:

The prices for this show are way too high. Other Broadway shows can justify their high prices somewhat because they have huge casts, with a lot of expensive costumes, complicated choreography, multiple set changes, lots of makeup, etc. They have to pay all those costume designers, choreographers, musicians, makeup artists, set designers, and all the cast members. Most Broadway musicals need several months of rehearsals in the theatre before they are ready to open to the public. All of that costs money, which is translated into high ticket prices. 

Bruce is a one man show, with no orchestra, costume changes, extravagant makeup, or choreography. The theatre rental is expensive, and there are some staffing needs, but nothing approaching what is needed by most major Broadway productions.  

The ticket prices are ridiculously high, and I’m sorry but I think it’s pure greed. Sure it will sell out, and the price is what the market will bear, but it’s unreasonable to charge these amounts. 

Just out of curiosity, I checked on tickets for Hamilton. I was able to get orchestra tickets for several nights for $350. The same ticket for Bruce’s show was priced at twice that. 

you have answered a lot of questions i had regarding Broadway 

ive never been into the theatre and going to plays so i have no idea about this kind of stuff

thank you 

• Like 1

Just catching up with this.
It's good for practice and a quick buck I guess, but not very exciting to me.

The man from the magazine
Said I was on my way
Somewhere I lost connections
Ran out of new songs to play
I came into town, a one night stand
Looks like my plans fell through
Oh Lord, stuck in Broadway again

;)

Ten years from now you will be able to see Hamilton on Broadway, in twenty years in Chicago, in thirty years at your local high school.  Bruce on Broadway,  probably not. Seeing someone like him doing a few hours like this can't be compared to anything else. All these runs combined are the same number of seats as a few nights in the Meadowlands and the high ticket prices were meant to box out the scalpers who would charge even more.  I get that this type of show, and the expense, is not for everyone.   But if it is for you, make no mistake on this opportunity. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I can see both sides of the argument. It is a very expensive ticket.
For me it was a bucket list trip to see my musical hero in an intimate setting. I’ve never tried for the pit when I’ve gone to a regular Bruce show because my friends who go with me are more casual fans so this was my chance to get up close and personal with Bruce. By the time I added in flights, hotels, etc. the ticket price itself was, in my opinion, a reasonable percentage of the overall trip’s cost. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

11 minutes ago, larf said:

I can see both sides of the argument. It is a very expensive ticket.
For me it was a bucket list trip to see my musical hero in an intimate setting. I’ve never tried for the pit when I’ve gone to a regular Bruce show because my friends who go with me are more casual fans so this was my chance to get up close and personal with Bruce. By the time I added in flights, hotels, etc. the ticket price itself was, in my opinion, a reasonable percentage of the overall trip’s cost. 

When you look back on the whole experience - Bruce, small theater, NYC - was it one of your best trips?  One that you will long remember?

1 hour ago, JoanFontaine said:

When you look back on the whole experience - Bruce, small theater, NYC - was it one of your best trips?  One that you will long remember?

It was amazing. Completely different than an E Street Band show at MSG but amazing nonetheless. 
That said once was enough for me. I like trying new cities/venues so looking forward to something different again on the 2022 tour.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Part of me died during the pandemic. I’m hoping Bruce helps me find that essential part of myself that I’ve lost. That’s worth getting another shot, flying across the ocean, and having an intimate experience with a man who has inspired me, made me think and caused me to act upon my beliefs. I’ll be in a 75 dollar seat one night, a 100 dollar seat the next night to learn from a man who has taught be much about being a man. Now how to get him to play Harry’s Place. This is the mystery and the challenge.

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

Ten years from now you will be able to see Hamilton on Broadway, in twenty years in Chicago, in thirty years at your local high school.  Bruce on Broadway,  probably not. Seeing someone like him doing a few hours like this can't be compared to anything else. All these runs combined are the same number of seats as a few nights in the Meadowlands and the high ticket prices were meant to box out the scalpers who would charge even more.  I get that this type of show, and the expense, is not for everyone.   But if it is for you, make no mistake on this opportunity. 

Sorry, I can't agree that it justifies ripping people off.

the high ticket prices were meant to box out the scalpers who would charge even more

And this is a desperately weak justification. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

He's not selling medicine or food. Nobody needs to buy. I don't get the 'rip off'.  The first night proceeds are going to charity. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

I have no problem with him charging whatever he wants and can get. I do have a problem with him singing songs about shooting bankers and cozying up next to them when it’s time to make some cash. It’s hypocritical of him, but part of him has always been a bit of a sham.

4 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

He's not selling medicine or food. Nobody needs to buy. I don't get the 'rip off'.  The first night proceeds are going to charity. 

It's what judyg said - the prices are not justified for a one-man show with minimal expenses.  So why charge so much?

• Like 5