Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

5 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

The first night proceeds are going to charity. 

Might have been a nice thought to do what Love Rocks NYC did, and make tix available to tri-state essential workers and first responders.

• Love Love Love! 1

I see all angles of this argument

I just wish the tickets were more accesable to regular Joes 

I mean ...someone like an American me who perhaps has never been to Broadway before 

Its a lot of money especially if you want your spouce to accompany you 

Given that this is the first show after the pandemic and that so many people have lost their loved ones, jobs and generally been through such a torrid time, the least he could have done is priced the tickets more sensibly. Or am I living in a different planet to expect this.. Understand that the artist is completely at his liberty to price it whatever he wants especially given the limited seats and high demand but you expect little better from Bruce. He has been honest about money but also pontificates, if that is the right word, a lot.. about his relation with fans and everything else. Given this is a short run, it may not make much of a difference to his wealth but for others it may not be a small amount. 

• Like 9

I always use to say to people that Bruce could charge a lot more for his tickets than he actually did. Up until the Wrecking Ball tour, he kept it reasonable. I paid around £60 for the Leeds show.

For some reason, since then, he's just followed suit with everyone else when it comes to pricing.

I know artists make far less from album sales these days, but still think the massive hike is unjustified, especially for someone like Bruce, who can hardly need the money.

• Like 5

I guess the price issue is real. ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ is a priceless experience for any die-hard, but it is a “Broadway” production only in name (and to be honest, there was/is no reason for the residence to take place on that street at all, except for the prestige of its name). It’s basically a ‘Devils and Dust’ ticket paid 8-10 times more. Does it really make any sense? And if it does, at what price does it stop making sense? $1000? $2500, $5000?

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Frank said:

to be honest, there was/is no reason for the first residence to take place on that street at all, except for the prestige of its name).

Exactly! He's already ticked that box.

Have the same thing in Asbury Park ... or Sunny Morpeth (I might go if it was on my doorstep) ... and charge a reasonable price. Let the fans without loads of money to chuck about get the chance to see this. In person, not just on a dvd.

• Like 6

I know it will never happen, but when Bruce does the rounds of interviews for a new album, it would be nice if somebody was actually brave enough to put the question of pricing to him.

Suspect it it did happen, it would be the last time that publication or broadcaster got an interview with Bruce!

• Like 5

One of the things that I loved about Bruce when I 'discovered' him was his down to earth, feet on the ground, blue collar attitude to rock and roll. Heck, two years later when The River came out he made sure that, although a double LP, it would be priced as a single LP. What a bloke! He really was one of us.

Sadly, since BITUSA he has become a different artist, and I barely recognise him anymore.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mariasbed said:

I always use to say to people that Bruce could charge a lot more for his tickets than he actually did. Up until the Wrecking Ball tour, he kept it reasonable. I paid around £60 for the Leeds show.

For some reason, since then, he's just followed suit with everyone else when it comes to pricing.

I know artists make far less from album sales these days, but still think the massive hike is unjustified, especially for someone like Bruce, who can hardly need the money.

Bruce Inc must have seen your post or overheard your conversation and then raised their prices accordingly. :D

• Haha 2

It’s never a Springsteen event without ticketing issues.

Rachel earlier brought up an issue relevant to non US residents: Seat Geek’s lack of existence outside the United States. I had telephoned them and was told I would be able to access our tickets through our browser. That information is incorrect.

My latest message from Seat Geek is that we would be able to access their app from the App Store when we were in the US with a US IP address. That’s factually incorrect, something I’ve verified with Apple. Your App Store is linked to your country of residence regardless of where you are in the world. The IP address is irrelevant.

Without accessing the app with a US mobile number we are also unable to transfer or sell the ticket should pandemic rules change, we get sick etc. 

As usual, bush league. We were the guinea pig for verified fans and now that it works for Ticketmaster we go to a ticket scalping service for first sales.

Those who need a visa to enter the US, not me, are often asked for proof of ticket before being allowed to enter the country.  Not happening.

So Seat Geek managed to make an exception to take money from internationals, they just have not figured out how to get us our tickets. In the year 2021. Ridiculous.

• Sad 4

19 hours ago, Eileen said:

Exactly! He's already ticked that box.

Have the same thing in Asbury Park ... or Sunny Morpeth (I might go if it was on my doorstep) ... and charge a reasonable price. Let the fans without loads of money to chuck about get the chance to see this. In person, not just on a dvd.

Valid points, however my understanding was that Bruce had been asked to do this to help get people back onto Broadway and to demonstrate that Broadway was open for business. 'Springsteen In Sunny Morpeth' would be great (and should be considered for the future), but probably wouldn't achieve those aims quite so well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Valid points, however my understanding was that Bruce had been asked to do this to help get people back onto Broadway 

Hmmmm ....

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Valid points, however my understanding was that Bruce had been asked to do this to help get people back onto Broadway and to demonstrate that Broadway was open for business.

Even Dave Marsh wouldn't buy that. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Turkued said:

It’s never a Springsteen event without ticketing issues.

Rachel earlier brought up an issue relevant to non US residents: Seat Geek’s lack of existence outside the United States. I had telephoned them and was told I would be able to access our tickets through our browser. That information is incorrect.

My latest message from Seat Geek is that we would be able to access their app from the App Store when we were in the US with a US IP address. That’s factually incorrect, something I’ve verified with Apple. Your App Store is linked to your country of residence regardless of where you are in the world. The IP address is irrelevant.

Without accessing the app with a US mobile number we are also unable to transfer or sell the ticket should pandemic rules change, we get sick etc. 

As usual, bush league. We were the guinea pig for verified fans and now that it works for Ticketmaster we go to a ticket scalping service for first sales.

Those who need a visa to enter the US, not me, are often asked for proof of ticket before being allowed to enter the country.  Not happening.

So Seat Geek managed to make an exception to take money from internationals, they just have not figured out how to get us our tickets. In the year 2021. Ridiculous.

I just read this and I don’t really know what to do

they never responded to my email or direct message on Twitter 

I guess it’s my own fault for thinking that I’d be able to go 

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, burghfan said:

@Turkued & @rachelharms would a burner phone solve the issue?

Good thinking.  Here's a tracphone for $4.99.  Then they would have to buy a no-contract plan, which is about $25, and they would have a US smartphone they could use. I think they'd need to buy it with a US address and have it shipped, but I suspect there are people here who would be willing to help.  

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/salpf/tf-tcl-a1-a501dl-reconditioned?colorId=344502&gclid=CjwKCAjwn6GGBhADEiwAruUcKqjCDwCPdf65lhUxcioVIjSiSQRh5KEfg7uO3XVdmJG-LxicTQeMWBoCYzAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Don't give up

Just keep saving your pennies (is that what you call cents?) 

It will all work out 

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I managed to get Seat Geek on my U.K. iPhone. I'm not sure about Android, but for Apple this is what you need to do:

1. Go to settings - media and purchases - sign out

2. Go to settings - Apple ID - sign out

3. Create a new Apple account with a different e-mail address. Gmail is fine.  To do this you need to be able to receive a call or a text at a U.S. phone number. Google U.S. phone number. I got one for one month for $7.99 from a company called United World Telecomm. The number is a U.S. number but will ring in the U.K.

4. Once you have created a new Apple ID on your phone, go back to settings-your name-media and purchases and change the location of your account from United Kingdom (if that's where you are) to United States.

5. You should then be able to go to the App Store and download Seat Geek.

6. After you've done that sign out of your new Apple ID and then sign in with your old Apple ID. Your Seat Geek app will remain even though you are back to your U.K. account

- At some point it will ask you for a U.S. address. Get a zip code and city and you can make up the street.

- At some point it will ask you for a credit card. You can decline and everything else works OK.

I know it's complicated, costs money and takes over an hour. I'm not into Android so I don't know if a burner pay as you go phone would work. 

With Apple the key is not the phone, it's the country your Apple ID is associated with. A new Apple ID appears to be the solution. You can get one linked to the U.S. if you can receive, or have a friend who can receive and immediately get the codes they send to you, a call or text at a U.S. number.

I hope this helps someone. I also did the same on my iPad so now have Seat Geek there as well. FWIW I'd prefer to camp out overnight at the box office for tickets. It was easier.

(While in the US store you might also want to download the US Ticketmaster app, which is different than the UK Ticketmaster, in case it's needed for future tours.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkued said:

I managed to get Seat Geek on my U.K. iPhone. I'm not sure about Android, but for Apple this is what you need to do:

1. Go to settings - media and purchases - sign out

2. Go to settings - Apple ID - sign out

3. Create a new Apple account with a different e-mail address. Gmail is fine.  To do this you need to be able to receive a call or a text at a U.S. phone number. Google U.S. phone number. I got one for one month for $7.99 from a company called United World Telecomm. The number is a U.S. number but will ring in the U.K.

4. Once you have created a new Apple ID on your phone, go back to settings-your name-media and purchases and change the location of your account from United Kingdom (if that's where you are) to United States.

5. You should then be able to go to the App Store and download Seat Geek.

6. After you've done that sign out of your new Apple ID and then sign in with your old Apple ID. Your Seat Geek app will remain even though you are back to your U.K. account

- At some point it will ask you for a U.S. address. Get a zip code and city and you can make up the street.

- At some point it will ask you for a credit card. You can decline and everything else works OK.

I know it's complicated, costs money and takes over an hour. I'm not into Android so I don't know if a burner pay as you go phone would work. 

With Apple the key is not the phone, it's the country your Apple ID is associated with. A new Apple ID appears to be the solution. You can get one linked to the U.S. if you can receive, or have a friend who can receive and immediately get the codes they send to you, a call or text at a U.S. number.

I hope this helps someone. I also did the same on my iPad so now have Seat Geek there as well. FWIW I'd prefer to camp out overnight at the box office for tickets. It was easier.

(While in the US store you might also want to download the US Ticketmaster app, which is different than the UK Ticketmaster, in case it's needed for future tours.)

Glad you figured it out, even if the solution was ridiculously complicated.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, judyg said:

Good thinking.  Here's a tracphone for $4.99.  Then they would have to buy a no-contract plan, which is about $25, and they would have a US smartphone they could use. I think they'd need to buy it with a US address and have it shipped, but I suspect there are people here who would be willing to help.  

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/salpf/tf-tcl-a1-a501dl-reconditioned?colorId=344502&gclid=CjwKCAjwn6GGBhADEiwAruUcKqjCDwCPdf65lhUxcioVIjSiSQRh5KEfg7uO3XVdmJG-LxicTQeMWBoCYzAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That sounds like giving more money to the “fat cats”. I recommend saving the money and playing the Born to Run album on a medium of your choosing.

• Like 3