Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

The Toronto Star published an article about how those who got the Astra Zeneca vaccine can't go to the show. The article quotes a bioethicist on why this is wrong.   Hopefully the publicity on this issue will lead to change. 

• Like 7

On 6/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, Promise61 said:

Sadly, since BITUSA he has become a different artist, and I barely recognise him anymore.

Yes, poetology different, and also existentially; back in 78 he said that money is the form of recognition (which really is in the tradition of German philosophy) since BITUSA it seems that his creativity has been based on an oscillation between that original view and a new one: money IS recognition (which perhaps is in the tradition of US market economy): hence Born in the USA.

I guess after the year I’ve had I was just desperate for something to look forward to. I’m well aware of the high possibility I can’t go, but I also know I can sell my ticket. 

• Like 4
  • Hug 1

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I don't fully understand why people outside of the US are buying tickets if they're not even allowed in the country.

Much of the world is allowed entry to the United States.

All U.S. citizens, regardless of where they live, are allowed entry to the U.S.A. 

The rest of the world can come, as well, unless they have been in China, Schengen, the U.K., Ireland, Brazil, South Africa or India ( https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html ). Travel from Canada and Mexico is also barred, except for essential travel. Today. Next week, who knows?

As a dual citizen, one of which is U.S., I'm allowed in, despite living in the U.K. That can't change.

There's a lot of gray. Travelling for medical care is an exception, for example. Have a student visa? Welcome to America. The way I read the law is if you can document a podiatrist appointment, any medical appointment, you are allowed in.

My problem right now is the airline I was flying on, Aer Lingus, just dropped all flights from Manchester to the U.S.A. I'm not interested in connecting service as that's another jurisdiction I'd have to deal with. But...

We're all taking a risk of being denied entry to the country. Or of flights being cancelled. There's also the possibility that a new variant hits New York and the show shuts down.

I'm happy to have something to look forward to. If Virgin Atlantic cancels the only nonstop left between Manchester and the U.S. I'll probably cancel my trip. My personal risk assessment won't put my body on a train to London. That's likely where I contracted COVID the first time. Probably psychological with me, more than anything else, but it's there.

I respect everyone's views on all of this. I'm headed to a few festivals after Bruce, and a few club concerts, as well. I've largely been cooped in a small flat for fifteen months, except for the month I was in the hospital with COVID. If I wind up singing Thunder Road by myself outside of a cancelled show or in detention at JFK...I'm good. But by September I do expect there to be some positive changes in international travel, Biden and Johnson spoke about opening a US-UK air corridor, enough doom and gloom. Let's just hope everyone can get in the country and the show!

And he plays Harry's Place. Once. When I'm there. On Broadway, on tour, in his bathroom with a live stream. Hearing that song live is one of my life's very small goals. Pre-show on Broadway anyone? :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gsquare said:

Bruce has an  understudy for the upcoming shows ready to step in at any time. :)

Nathan Lane Is Ready To Step In For Bruce Springsteen On Broadway

Excellent!! LOL!! Didn't know if I should have given that clip a laughing, Bruuuuuuce, a Heart or just a like emoji. Anyway I loved it!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gsquare said:

Bruce has an  understudy for the upcoming shows ready to step in at any time. :)

Nathan Lane Is Ready To Step In For Bruce Springsteen On Broadway

Outstanding news.  I am sure that the people who are planning to travel in for the show will be glad to know they don't have to worry about the show not going on when it is their show day.  And how special will it be for them to see the only, or one of the only shows, that was done without Bruce.  Just imagine being able to say yes Bruce did a couple hundred (don't know exact #) shows on Broadway and I was at the only SOB show that was done by somebody else.  They will be in a very small subset of fans and will be envied by all of the others who saw Bruce do one of his many SOB shows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

Looks like the publicity worked. Great news. 

Yep. It's a shame that it takes online rants from fans to achieve what was obvious from the start.

• Like 4

Am I correct in saying that New York State was the only state with that wacky law  ??

all the events I am seeing advertised elsewhere are either specifying that any vaccine is acceptable or in the door knob licking states such as Florida, Texas georgia etc you are welcome to attend even if you are foaming at the mouth

• Haha 1

I had an email response from Seat Geek about the app issue for people outside of the US. Here’s part of it:

“The App Store uses your IP Address's location to dictate what you can and cannot download. When you get to the United States to attend this event, you should be able to download the SeatGeek app once you connect your phone to any local, US based Wi-Fi. In addition, the barcode will only be made available after you've successfully completed the COVID survey, which will show up in the app 24 hours prior to the event.

If you continue to have issues, the Box Office will also be able to assist you with your tickets on the day of the event.”

• Hug 1
  • Sad 1

Presumably if you used a vpn that pretends you are in good old yankeeland you can get to the us App Store?

ive done it on a laptop to go to dear old blighty to access bbc or ITV stuff but not sure if it works that way on smartyphones

5 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I had an email response from Seat Geek about the app issue for people outside of the US. Here’s part of it:

“The App Store uses your IP Address's location to dictate what you can and cannot download. When you get to the United States to attend this event, you should be able to download the SeatGeek app once you connect your phone to any local, US based Wi-Fi. In addition, the barcode will only be made available after you've successfully completed the COVID survey, which will show up in the app 24 hours prior to the event.

If you continue to have issues, the Box Office will also be able to assist you with your tickets on the day of the event.”

That sounds like a ridiculous amount of hassle just to attend a concert.

Just bring it to London Bruce its as simple as that ! -Patti shopping you singing. 

or even better a lovely old theatre out in the sticks .

And while your here  bring all that museum stuff over if they can do it with all the Elvis items for months on end your management can do likewise.

MMMM let me think ahead .....Visit Museum Monday 9-12  go for lunch back in 1-5 

likewise Tuesday,Weds,Thursday and Friday. 

then the show Saturday home Sunday with present as in a London marked sugar spoon for the lady indoors . Happy days !!   

Would have had worst weeks.

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:25 PM, rachelharms said:

It's just not true.

Your App account is linked to your credit card, residence and phone/text number. If you don't want to do what I described above best go to the box office. A UK Apple account can not download from the US apple store even if you are in the middle of Times Square. 

If you go through the GL archives there are lots of discussions about the fevrseof this, in 2015 Americans in the UK still unable to get the TM UK app. Good news? They'll give you a hard ticket at the box office that you'll have as a momento!