Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

10 hours ago, Rizla said:

Yes, "Fire" is all about teenagers courting, it doesn't work for an old married couple!  :unsure:

It was long ago and it was far away
And it was so much better than it is today

image.png.d32d78f43b99d640dc329458db5af2be.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I thought Patti sounded a lot better than on  other songs im too polite to mention 

Exactly my thought!

• Bruuuuce! 1

Im listening to 7/14/21 on u tube

Its sooooooooo goooooood !!!!!!

He's so funny 

He's really loose

Lots of swearing

He's fucking hilarious 

Then its so sad when he's talking about his mom and dad

Im enjoying it much more than the one on netflex 

• Love Love Love! 1

Many thanks for the link to the audio recording of that night's show.

An especially well-sung "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" was a highlight for me, and it sounded like an engaged and responsive audience throughout. 

Additionally, after listening to "Fire", it must be coming up to an anniversary of them being 'outed' as a couple during the 1988 European summer tour, so that gave the song resonance for me. (Patti's vocal-style on "Fire" called to mind her "23rd Street Lullaby" album, possibly the track "City Boys" but I'll have to double-check that.)

I couldn't get "Dancing in the Dark" to play at all, for some reason: everything before it and after it was fine but it simply wouldn't play. I'll have to bop around to it by other means:-)

• Like 1

E-Mail from the theater:

Masks now need to be worn in the theater, included while seated during the show, except while “actively”eating or drinking.

That’s on top of the vax requirement.

I was going to wear a mask anyway, but I know this might reasonably impact others decision to attend.

3 minutes ago, Turkued said:

E-Mail from the theater:

Masks now need to be worn in the theater, included while seated during the show, except while “actively”eating or drinking.

That’s on top of the vax requirement.

I was going to wear a mask anyway, but I know this might reasonably impact others decision to attend.

Masks are now required by all Broadway shows.  
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/theater/broadway-audiences-vaccine-requirement.html?smid=url-share

2 hours ago, Turkued said:

E-Mail from the theater:

Concession stand sales set to increase or one pop will last the whole show. 

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, CherylGrrl said:

Here's another shot from that 1978 show -- sorry it's sideways! It was sure magical to sit there knowing at many points during the show I could have just reached out and touched him. Of course I didn't, I'm too respectful to do something like that. (But I was thrilled when a few drops of sweat were flung my way...)IMG_4136.thumb.jpg.a903ffe1b4e5a8665d8d74a4670b504a.jpg

Cool picture! And this photo (by Lynn Goldsmith) is probably from the same concert as yours, the Berkeley event on July 1st 1978 or was it the San Jose gig on June 29th?E5OlGPqX0AEzKSv.jpg.43924ce4f34424aa518017afbf7c9bef.jpg

On 7/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, el sergio said:

Cool picture! And this photo (by Lynn Goldsmith) is probably from the same concert as yours, the Berkeley event on July 1st 1978 or was it the San Jose gig on June 29th?E5OlGPqX0AEzKSv.jpg.43924ce4f34424aa518017afbf7c9bef.jpg

Back in the days when the guy wore great boots. Big disappointment on the Reunion Tour to see him wearing some ugly rubber soled stuff.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

What odds that on the first night back he manages to work into the script the fact that his daughter is an Olympic medalist?

Oh wow !

That's so excitting !!! :D:D:D

I only just got up 

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

What odds that on the first night back he manages to work into the script the fact that his daughter is an Olympic medalist?

Preceding the new song in the set list “Pony Girl”

• Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just love Bruce 

He is so much more inclusive than i would ever be 

He's talking about the anti vax protesters on broadway 

Hundreds of thousands of people died. It can be hard to know what to do. Obviously, I’m in favor of everybody being vaccinated, and that’s why the show is the way that it is. Plus, I’m responsible for the safety of my audience. But it’s hard, confusing times, so I actually have some feelings for the folks who were outside.

https://wmgk.com/2021/08/16/bruce-springsteen-on-making-changes-to-springsteen-on-broadway-for-second-show-run/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Patti Smith attending BOB last night.  image.png.bb02b3028ce6966a72ee5b0e147ead0c.png

Good to see she's wearing it covering her nose 

Ive seen some unsafe ones on the news the last couple of nights

well, is there anything new hiding in this show? do anyone, who enters the audience, find anything that they did not know before they entered the show? I surely support the re-use of material stuff, since if we do not, the world as we know it, will be rained and burned to death, but this do not hold for culture: to re-use the same stories and make money of them once again, is a Mr. Springsteen specialty. To re-use is not to create. The old concerts, once paid by the audience, is now sold once again. The old stories, once told, is now told again. And you have to pay. All ambition is made, to lure us to think, that the real song has to be found in a live-versions, so we have to look into them all, to bye them all, and surely them all, while it is for most of us apparent, that the most mathematical and hence precise expressions of his ideas are to be found in the original albums. NEBRASKA is, in my opinion, the last, great album: now days he is reduced, as an artist, to re-use his material.  And I ask, why pay money to hear this rank xerox-ed version of something you already heard to many times before? To be close the hero you worship? Well. I cite Mr. Springsteen him selves: Trust the art, not the artist.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:08 AM, ulfhpersson said:

well, is there anything new hiding in this show? do anyone, who enters the audience, find anything that they did not know before they entered the show? I surely support the re-use of material stuff, since if we do not, the world as we know it, will be rained and burned to death, but this do not hold for culture: to re-use the same stories and make money of them once again, is a Mr. Springsteen specialty. To re-use is not to create. The old concerts, once paid by the audience, is now sold once again. The old stories, once told, is now told again. And you have to pay. All ambition is made, to lure us to think, that the real song has to be found in a live-versions, so we have to look into them all, to bye them all, and surely them all, while it is for most of us apparent, that the most mathematical and hence precise expressions of his ideas are to be found in the original albums. NEBRASKA is, in my opinion, the last, great album: now days he is reduced, as an artist, to re-use his material.  And I ask, why pay money to hear this rank xerox-ed version of something you already heard to many times before? To be close the hero you worship? Well. I cite Mr. Springsteen him selves: Trust the art, not the artist.

Well honestly i am very sorry for you.  Do you listen to the old concerts?  Have you been to one of bruces concerts in the last few decades?  His music in my opinion will live forever(see the requests in another forum here for old shows) and he is entitled to make money from his hard work.  In the past, bootleggers made tons of money off of his product and now he is just trying to get control back of his property.  

I have seen Springsteen on Broadway three times so far, and I have loved every minute of it.  I was in Philadelphia to witness the second longest worldwide show/longest US show and it was spectacular.  I have only missed seeing "The other band" tour, and each and every show I have attended since 1972 was out of this world. 

Honestly, i am confused why you are on this forum, and why you are a member of this group if you honestly feel the way you do. 

If Bruce and the Band tour, attend a concert and see what you have been missing!!!   the energy, joy, passion at each concert is overwhelming.

I understand it if you can't afford to attend his Broadway show, or if you are not in the US and therefore cannot attend, but don't belittle something that you have never seen. 

I hope to attend one more Broadway show before it closes, but if not, and he does tour, i will be there along with the other true Springsteen fans. 

• Bruuuuce! 1