Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

2 minutes ago, SamEJay said:

Well honestly i am very sorry for you.  Do you listen to the old concerts?  Have you been to one of bruces concerts in the last few decades?  His music in my opinion will live forever(see the requests in another forum here for old shows) and he is entitled to make money from his hard work.  In the past, bootleggers made tons of money off of his product and now he is just trying to get control back of his property.  

I have seen Springsteen on Broadway three times so far, and I have loved every minute of it.  I was in Philadelphia to witness the second longest worldwide show/longest US show and it was spectacular.  I have only missed seeing "The other band" tour, and each and every show I have attended since 1972 was out of this world. 

Honestly, i am confused why you are on this forum, and why you are a member of this group if you honestly feel the way you do. 

If Bruce and the Band tour, attend a concert and see what you have been missing!!!   the energy, joy, passion at each concert is overwhelming.

I understand it if you can't afford to attend his Broadway show, or if you are not in the US and therefore cannot attend, but don't belittle something that you have never seen. 

I hope to attend one more Broadway show before it closes, but if not, and he does tour, i will be there along with the other true Springsteen fans. 

Bruce's band of the early 90s was a tonic - I'm sorry you missed that one.

The other 2 bits in bold have been discussed on here many times. This train carries all who wish to ride on it - and everybody's welcome.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Rumor mill is saying Bruce’s show tonight is the one being filmed for a new Netflix Special.  Hope it's not just a rumor.

Alteady getting my hopes up

Hopefully the audience isn't hand picked this time

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Rumor mill is saying Bruce’s show tonight is the one being filmed for a new Netflix Special.  Hope it's not just a rumor.

11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hopefully the audience isn't hand picked this time

I would be surprised if they filmed a regular show because of the distraction It would cause to the audience who have paid large amounts to watch the show.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, ulfhpersson said:

well, is there anything new hiding in this show? do anyone, who enters the audience, find anything that they did not know before they entered the show? I surely support the re-use of material stuff, since if we do not, the world as we know it, will be rained and burned to death, but this do not hold for culture: to re-use the same stories and make money of them once again, is a Mr. Springsteen specialty. To re-use is not to create. The old concerts, once paid by the audience, is now sold once again. The old stories, once told, is now told again. And you have to pay. All ambition is made, to lure us to think, that the real song has to be found in a live-versions, so we have to look into them all, to bye them all, and surely them all, while it is for most of us apparent, that the most mathematical and hence precise expressions of his ideas are to be found in the original albums. NEBRASKA is, in my opinion, the last, great album: now days he is reduced, as an artist, to re-use his material.  And I ask, why pay money to hear this rank xerox-ed version of something you already heard to many times before? To be close the hero you worship? Well. I cite Mr. Springsteen him selves: Trust the art, not the artist.

While I'm fairly certain that your post will offend quite a few people here, I must say that I fully agree with your point about re-hashing old material, which Bruce has done for a long time now for what then were promoted as "new studio albums" in spite of containing songs that had been several years old already, or even previously released elsewhere in different versions. In regards to "Springsteen On Broadway", I've never been a fan of those shows; let alone the concept itself. In fact, I had a pretty hard time sitting through the Netflix special (which my wife insisted on watching), and this comes from a guy who previously always used to embrace Bruce's solo acoustic performances (1986 Bridge Benefit, 1990 Christic shows, and the "Joad" tour in particular). I, for one, fail to see the point in a second such special too, to be honest. Whether "Nebraska" really was his "last great album" of course is open to debate, although I personally can't think of more than four of his subsequent releases ("Tunnel Of Love", "Lucky Town", "The Ghost Of Tom Joad", and "Magic") that would truly deserve to be called that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SamEJay said:

Well honestly i am very sorry for you.  Do you listen to the old concerts?  Have you been to one of bruces concerts in the last few decades?  His music in my opinion will live forever(see the requests in another forum here for old shows) and he is entitled to make money from his hard work.  In the past, bootleggers made tons of money off of his product and now he is just trying to get control back of his property.  

I have seen Springsteen on Broadway three times so far, and I have loved every minute of it.  I was in Philadelphia to witness the second longest worldwide show/longest US show and it was spectacular.  I have only missed seeing "The other band" tour, and each and every show I have attended since 1972 was out of this world. 

Honestly, i am confused why you are on this forum, and why you are a member of this group if you honestly feel the way you do. 

If Bruce and the Band tour, attend a concert and see what you have been missing!!!   the energy, joy, passion at each concert is overwhelming.

I understand it if you can't afford to attend his Broadway show, or if you are not in the US and therefore cannot attend, but don't belittle something that you have never seen. 

I hope to attend one more Broadway show before it closes, but if not, and he does tour, i will be there along with the other true Springsteen fans. 

As hard as it may be for some people to accept, differing opinions and criticism are fully legitimate, and do not make anybody a "lesser" Springsteen fan just because they're not wearing pink glasses all the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

I would be surprised if they filmed a regular show because of the distraction It would cause to the audience who have paid large amounts to watch the show.

Oh 

Hmmmm

:mellow:

20 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

would be surprised if netflix forked out more cash for a slightly rehashed version of a  show they already paid for

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

would be surprised if netflix forked out more cash for a slightly rehashed version of a  show they already paid for

Im hoping for a blue ray then !

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, ulfhpersson said:

well, is there anything new hiding in this show? do anyone, who enters the audience, find anything that they did not know before they entered the show? I surely support the re-use of material stuff, since if we do not, the world as we know it, will be rained and burned to death, but this do not hold for culture: to re-use the same stories and make money of them once again, is a Mr. Springsteen specialty. To re-use is not to create. The old concerts, once paid by the audience, is now sold once again. The old stories, once told, is now told again. And you have to pay. All ambition is made, to lure us to think, that the real song has to be found in a live-versions, so we have to look into them all, to bye them all, and surely them all, while it is for most of us apparent, that the most mathematical and hence precise expressions of his ideas are to be found in the original albums. NEBRASKA is, in my opinion, the last, great album: now days he is reduced, as an artist, to re-use his material.  And I ask, why pay money to hear this rank xerox-ed version of something you already heard to many times before? To be close the hero you worship? Well. I cite Mr. Springsteen him selves: Trust the art, not the artist.

I just read this. What a pile of garbage from someone taking an elitist position in an effort to impress. It might work better if you knew the appropriate use of a comma.

I consider Wrecking Ball to be one of Bruce's greatest works. It was poignant, topical, and many of the songs were great live. Of course you love Nebraska, that's the "intellectual" thing to say. I disagree but if you like that type of thing, fine.

I saw two shows on the first run and liked it enough I'm boarding a plane to cross the Atlantic this week, against medical advice, to see it two more times. It obviously sucks. An old man with a guitar telling the story of his life. Why would anyone go?

I don't criticise things I've never seen or experienced. I also don't worship artists; it sort of conflicts with my religious upbringing. This show inspires and represents the best of Springsteen. It ties together his life, his message and his works. It is the punctuation of everything he has done. It's brilliant.

Of course, what do I know? I've actually seen the show. 

Have you?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Patti looks so different here - lovely, but different!

I guess that lovely look is all courtesy of Chris McMillan who is also in that Instagram photo: "He’s the mastermind behind the sexy, beachy wavy look that is currently ubiquitous on every red carpet. When Kim Kardashian got engaged, it was Chris she wanted to do her hair for the big day. When a certain rock star wanted a whole new image to shake the foundation, she called Chris—and Miley Cyrus’ new look was born." https://www.chrismcmillanthesalon.com/#about

11 hours ago, Turkued said:

Of course, what do I know? I've actually seen the show. 

Have you?

We've all seen it on Netflix.  That's good enough for me to form an opinion of the content.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:15 PM, SamEJay said:

i will be there along with the other true Springsteen fans.

What is a 'True Bruce Springsteen fan'?:) (or: :unsure:; or: :wacko:; or: :blink:; or: :o; or: :D; or: :lol:; or: all of them; and some 'pink font', too).

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lampi said:

What is a 'True Bruce Springsteen fan'?:) (or: :unsure:; or: :wacko:; or: :blink:; or: :o; or: :D; or: :lol:; or: all of them; and some 'pink font', too).

I think a better question is to ask what an untrue fan is. 

Regarding your second question, I think I'd go with :blink: