Greasy Lake Community

Springsteen on Broadway Returns

6 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Taken from a Bruce fan page on Facebook:

Posted by Bryan Cichon, son of Walter Cichon, Bruce’s friend and band mate back at the very beginning. Walter was killed in Viet Nam. Walter’s two sons attended the Broadway show yesterday on what would have been his 75th birthday.

“Blown away last night by the performance from Bruce Springsteen at Springsteen on Broadway. So happy to get invited and be there with Becky and my brother David Cichon. I knew it was going to be an emotional show since he talks about our Dad and it would have been his 75th birthday had he still been with us. The tears started though with the opening first chords of “Growin’ Up.” It’s been so long since I’ve gotten to experience live music, live rock and roll, and live Bruce. As he weaves his songs into his own life story in an amazing literary way, I know that our Dad’s story and hence a part of mine was yet to be woven into the show.

Surprisingly when he did start to talk about the influence our Dad had on him as a young musician I felt more relaxed. Bruce is like a family member telling a story about your family. Even if it isn’t your family. In this case, it was and it always feels great to feel like I’m there with Bruce and my Dad. Such is his storytelling talent. The most moving and emotional part of the night though was after his usual intro to “Born in the U.S.A.” talking about Bart Haynes dying in Vietnam and our Dad, who he makes the crowd see as the rock and roll god he viewed him as, dying and his body never being found the crowd gasped. He paused. Took a breath. And quietly said that today would have been his 75th birthday. More gasps. And that his two sons, David and Bryan, are here in the theater tonight. The reaction from the crowd at that was chilling. A whole theater with just a collective gasp, a sigh, a groan expressed their condolences at the loss that they know felt that Bruce and our family has felt for 53 years. It never gets easier but to have our Dad live on through Bruce is a sort of redemption, a sort of “F you!” to the politicians of the time who decided to send so many young men to an early grave and took away so many great futures. As Bruce said last night, “I just wish I could be standing there to see him perform just one more time.”

Our Dad’s story is just one of many who never came home and I’m thankful that there is someone to tell it. More than I could ever, ever express in words. At the end of the show as Bruce was on stage he looked at me, his smile while still there in the way that he smiles, turned solemn. I saluted him. He nodded back. The connection he had with my Dad is there, in the air. Bruce talks about mysticism and souls and spirits living on. It’s true. We make it true with our energy, our emotions, and our love. Our memories. Last night was a musical celebration of life and a man I never got to know but that I now know better thanks to Bruce and his memories. Our Dad lives on through one of the greatest rock and rollers, storytellers, and men of our time. He has been immortalized.”

image.png.6dde35e241b3231cd0036f835ad4a663.png

oh wow!

i hope that's the one they filmed

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Taken from a Bruce fan page on Facebook:

Posted by Bryan Cichon, son of Walter Cichon, Bruce’s friend and band mate back at the very beginning. Walter was killed in Viet Nam. Walter’s two sons attended the Broadway show yesterday on what would have been his 75th birthday.

“Blown away last night by the performance from Bruce Springsteen at Springsteen on Broadway. So happy to get invited and be there with Becky and my brother David Cichon. I knew it was going to be an emotional show since he talks about our Dad and it would have been his 75th birthday had he still been with us. The tears started though with the opening first chords of “Growin’ Up.” It’s been so long since I’ve gotten to experience live music, live rock and roll, and live Bruce. As he weaves his songs into his own life story in an amazing literary way, I know that our Dad’s story and hence a part of mine was yet to be woven into the show.

Surprisingly when he did start to talk about the influence our Dad had on him as a young musician I felt more relaxed. Bruce is like a family member telling a story about your family. Even if it isn’t your family. In this case, it was and it always feels great to feel like I’m there with Bruce and my Dad. Such is his storytelling talent. The most moving and emotional part of the night though was after his usual intro to “Born in the U.S.A.” talking about Bart Haynes dying in Vietnam and our Dad, who he makes the crowd see as the rock and roll god he viewed him as, dying and his body never being found the crowd gasped. He paused. Took a breath. And quietly said that today would have been his 75th birthday. More gasps. And that his two sons, David and Bryan, are here in the theater tonight. The reaction from the crowd at that was chilling. A whole theater with just a collective gasp, a sigh, a groan expressed their condolences at the loss that they know felt that Bruce and our family has felt for 53 years. It never gets easier but to have our Dad live on through Bruce is a sort of redemption, a sort of “F you!” to the politicians of the time who decided to send so many young men to an early grave and took away so many great futures. As Bruce said last night, “I just wish I could be standing there to see him perform just one more time.”

Our Dad’s story is just one of many who never came home and I’m thankful that there is someone to tell it. More than I could ever, ever express in words. At the end of the show as Bruce was on stage he looked at me, his smile while still there in the way that he smiles, turned solemn. I saluted him. He nodded back. The connection he had with my Dad is there, in the air. Bruce talks about mysticism and souls and spirits living on. It’s true. We make it true with our energy, our emotions, and our love. Our memories. Last night was a musical celebration of life and a man I never got to know but that I now know better thanks to Bruce and his memories. Our Dad lives on through one of the greatest rock and rollers, storytellers, and men of our time. He has been immortalized.”

image.png.6dde35e241b3231cd0036f835ad4a663.png

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 3

On 8/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, janeymarywendy said:

Patti looks so different here - lovely, but different!

On 8/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, Rizla said:

Crikey.  :blink:

What's going on there?

Reno? 

• Haha 1

Wow, there's a thread on a Bruce fan page with a little clip of Bruce waving to the crowd outside the theater, like he does most nights I think, then he walks to the waiting car.  People are commenting how old and frail Bruce looks, no more tours, and other BS.  WTF?!  I'd like to see those people do a 2 hour show every night and look all spunky or something afterwards.  He looks good to me!  The post is at the top of this persons page for now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/737372349676001/user/626272256/

2 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Wow, there's a thread on a Bruce fan page with a little clip of Bruce waving to the crowd outside the theater, like he does most nights I think, then he walks to the waiting car.  People are commenting how old and frail Bruce looks, no more tours, and other BS.  WTF?!  I'd like to see those people do a 2 hour show every night and look all spunky or something afterwards.  He looks good to me!  The post is at the top of this persons page for now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/737372349676001/user/626272256/

If it's so taxing on him maybe cut down the amount of shows. And get ready for 2022 with the band. Oh wait Covid will still be with us. So no band! 

you should see me right now (still 49 years old)

9.22 am and im walking around creaking and groaning like an old lady and all ive done is get out of bed and put crumpets in the toaster 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 8/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, stevie54uk said:

where are you from?  we cant go from europe(uk or schengen to be precise) 

I have tri-citizenship, including the USA. So I’m lucky enough to be able to come and go as I please. Feel sorry for everyone who can’t.

• Like 1

Dear Turkued and SamEJay,

to me, Mr Springsteens work, up to Tunnel of Love, is a great piece of art, and yes, one could say, it is a late version of Odysseus, i.e. a return home, that first have to go astray, before it ends at the front porch (by indirection find directions out, as Shakespeare puts it), a return travel, where the ship, of course, is substituted by the automobile.

When I tried to find a way to express the quality and complexity of his work, I had to use the work of the German philosophers Hegel and Marx.

You can find the first part of ”my” work among the essays.

Of course you can feel sorry for a man, who, in many, many years, has tried (in vain, perhaps) to make explicit the immanent odyssey of Mr Springsteens work from Greetings to Tunnel, and you can surely regard such an ambition ”intellectual” and the result ”garbage” filled by a bad use of comma.

The easiest way, to not take the burden of understanding up on one selves, is to take Hamlets words: Words, words, words, literally.

15 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

Dear Turkued and SamEJay,

to me, Mr Springsteens work, up to Tunnel of Love, is a great piece of art, and yes, one could say, it is a late version of Odysseus, i.e. a return home, that first have to go astray, before it ends at the front porch (by indirection find directions out, as Shakespeare puts it), a return travel, where the ship, of course, is substituted by the automobile.

When I tried to find a way to express the quality and complexity of his work, I had to use the work of the German philosophers Hegel and Marx.

You can find the first part of ”my” work among the essays.

Of course you can feel sorry for a man, who, in many, many years, has tried (in vain, perhaps) to make explicit the immanent odyssey of Mr Springsteens work from Greetings to Tunnel, and you can surely regard such an ambition ”intellectual” and the result ”garbage” filled by a bad use of comma.

The easiest way, to not take the burden of understanding up on one selves, is to take Hamlets words: Words, words, words, literally.

Go on do us all a favour play ''Sunny day'' out loud on a loop and give us as all a rest from your words. . 

41 minutes ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Oh the weirdness about Bruce's health keeps going on, on that fan site.  "He's so thin, he looks frail, his voice sounds weak, he wears glasses" and on and on.  I'm wonder how old all those commenters are.

I hope I'm still around and in his shape at nearly 72.

• Like 4

On 9/1/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jimmy James said:

If it's so taxing on him maybe cut down the amount of shows. And get ready for 2022 with the band. Oh wait Covid will still be with us. So no band! 

Why shouldn't he have a band in 2022? People like Jackson Browne are out on the road already, playing with a band. Why can't Bruce do the same? Life has to go on, and there's always risks. Maybe play smaller venues, there's an idea. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philipboyle said:

Why shouldn't he have a band in 2022? People like Jackson Browne are out on the road already, playing with a band. Why can't Bruce do the same? Life has to go on, and there's always risks. Maybe play smaller venues, there's an idea. 

Well, I agree with you about life has to go on, my quote was kind of my smart ass way of saying that. But some people believe nothing should go on until not one person is infected any longer. Smaller venue nope, larger outside venues "stadiums". Will be the norm. So for me will be Chicago or Nashville, doubtful STL will be picked.

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Well, I agree with you about life has to go on, my quote was kind of my smart ass way of saying that. But some people believe nothing should go on until not one person is infected any longer. Smaller venue nope, larger outside venues "stadiums". Will be the norm. So for me will be Chicago or Nashville, doubtful STL will be picked.

the rate its going NZ won't have touring anything for years :angry:

• Sad 1

Just been googling Dr Jeanette Young. Again. She really does believe it. Zero Covid can be achieved. ‘Keep hunkering down’, she advises Queenslanders. Blah blah blah. For the love of God, someone step in here. Utter madness. At this rate, Australia will never see another Springsteen show again.

• Like 1

NZ (except Auckland) is almost nornal from tomorrow - well pretty much as nornal as most of the rest of the world 

im looking forward to tomorrow

if the rest of you would stop shearing your gerns maybe we could open our boarder again 

On 9/4/2021 at 4:08 PM, Jimmy James said:

Wrigley is nice ;) Come say hi!

On 9/5/2021 at 2:29 AM, Flagofpiracy said:

Oh the weirdness about Bruce's health keeps going on, on that fan site.  "He's so thin, he looks frail, his voice sounds weak, he wears glasses" and on and on.  I'm wonder how old all those commenters are.

I can't view the page, so don't know exactly what's being said...but while I generally have a pretty strong aversion to weirdness in Springsteen fans, I can sympathize with these people. 

I'm about 15 years younger than Bruce.  It's been something in the back of my mind ever since I first heard The River as a teenager. 

I've always looked after my health and fitness , alnd hoped to stay vital as I get older.  Seeing Bruce on the Australian tours in 2013,14&17, was inspirational to me.  He seemed  invincible.   I thought "If I can have that kind of energy in 15 years time, I'll be very happy". 

But the last couple of years I've seen him on TV at times, and it's really bothered me how much he's aged.  All of a sudden 15 years time doesn't look so rosy.  For me it's brought into focus Bruce's mortality, and subsequently my own.

If that's weird so be it.

• Like 1