Greasy Lake Community

Olympics Tokyo 2021

Daisey Jeep

so i guess its going to go ahead

about time we started talking about it ?

on the news tonight some of the NZ team were being issued with their kit

lots of extra things they would normally source locally, as Japan is still living under covid restrictions

all i remember is 3 slushy machines and 8 horses are going ! 

7 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

that seems a long time away

we all enjoyed a very successful commonwealth games there a while back so they know what they are doing

• 1 month later...

China is leading the medals tally. United States will probably take over once swimming and athletics start. India won a silver today in women's weightlifting. Here every medal, be it even a bronze is celebrated.

Unfortunately unlike covid,this is one leader board that we will not be at the top. 

4 hours ago, balboa08 said:

China is leading the medals tally. United States will probably take over once swimming and athletics start. India won a silver today in women's weightlifting. Here every medal, be it even a bronze is celebrated.

Unfortunately unlike covid,this is one leader board that we will not be at the top. 

I expect you to medal in the hockey because traditionally you guys are really good 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tokyo-olympics-2020-black-sticks-men-denied-at-the-death-by-india-in-hockey-opener/UUZMUJION3ZGNETDPEGLEI47LE/

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Yeah, for a long time India were unbeaten in hockey but things changed a lot over the years. Last gold we won ws in Moscow back in 1980,so even a bronze would be a great achievement now. 

1 hour ago, balboa08 said:

Yeah, for a long time India were unbeaten in hockey but things changed a lot over the years. Last gold we won ws in Moscow back in 1980,so even a bronze would be a great achievement now. 

Oh dear - am i that old ? :lol:

I think it was just a thing we new about you guys - not just cricket but that you were really good at hocky too

They was also a time when NZ won gold in both men's and women's hockey 

Ash Barty upset in Women's tennis. Andy Murray wd from men's singles, will remain in men's doubles - quad strain.

In equestrian the extra year has really affected the horses that were ready for this year. They are athletes too. I'm seeing many dressage horses that would not have been in a 2020 games, and I expect that eventing and show jumping will be similar. I've heard it said about the swimming, also - folks who were injured and benefitted from the extra year to recover, and folks who aged and missed their window of opportunity.

• Like 1

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/300366311/tokyo-olympics-tunisian-teenager-ahmed-hafnaoui-wins-surprise-swimming-gold

Where is Tunis ?

(Africa somewhere)

This is what the olympics are all about ! 

Ahmed Hafnaoui, of Tunisia, celebrates after winning the final of the men's 400-metre freestyle at the 2020 Summer Olympics.

1627251378999.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely no interest in Olympics nowadays professional tennis players and others like cyclists. Much better in the amateur days, not to mention the drugs etc. Money would be better getting vacs to the the world that can't get or afford them

• Like 3

18 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

Absolutely no interest in Olympics nowadays professional tennis players and others like cyclists. Much better in the amateur days, not to mention the drugs etc. Money would be better getting vacs to the the world that can't get or afford them

Did you see the Austrian woman who won gold in the road race? Sure, she "turned pro" in 2017, but not part of a team, and she already had a PhD in applied math. Now that's an old-fashioned Olympic story. :) 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/26/sport/anna-kiesenhofer-olympic-gold-tokyo-2020-spt-intl/index.html

• Like 1