Greasy Lake Community

Favorite harmonica parts (studio versions)?

The first tones of the album with which Bruce Springsteen had his definitive breakthrough are of a harmonica. The song Thunder Road starts with a soft intro and leads the listener into a journey with the rest of the album Born to Run

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

love them all

i love harmonica 

very hard to pick a favourite 

love acoustic Bruce but also R&R 

kind of LOVE IT put through the bullet mic !

still waiting on the lost bullet mic studio album !

• Love Love Love! 1

I like Jackson Cage, has a lot to do with it being unexpected. Not the BEST, that might be...probably The River. Or I'm Goin' Back - unreleased but still studio!

• Like 1

I'm going to have to go listen to Jackson Cage now, as I didn't think there was a Harmonia in there! 

ETA: Well sure as shit there it is. I always thought that to a guitar, I guess! 

click on greasy lake , reads thread about harmonica parts  then decide to sit back and relax and  blow every one out of the water and win easily. 

I give you .... 

''SHE'S THE ONE '' 

thank you for all agreeing in the end .   

20 hours ago, killer graces said:

Probably Promised Land, This Hard Land are my favorites. So many I love, his playing always sounded good to me, but is he technically a good player?

I haven’t heard any of his harmonica playing that sounds technically exceptional.  The secret is that as long as you have a harmonica that was manufactured in the same musical key as the song, then any sound you blow will be passable, no matter how sloppy you are.  I think Bruce takes advantage of this aspect of the instrument, and as a “new-Dylan” he is aware that the sound adds a nice texture to the pedestrian ear, but I have not heard any virtuoso work from Bruce on harmonica.

I mean, he has botched the harmonica intro to “The River” countless times in concert, but his safety net was the fact that all those wrong notes were at least notes somewhere in the same scale.  You really can’t lose if your harmonica in the correct key.

A technically excellent player may be John Popper (the guy from Blues Traveler), for example.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, soulsofthedeparted said:

This hard land

This his best one, for me at least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I haven’t heard any of his harmonica playing that sounds technically exceptional.  The secret is that as long as you have a harmonica that was manufactured in the same musical key as the song, then any sound you blow will be passable, no matter how sloppy you are.  I think Bruce takes advantage of this aspect of the instrument, and as a “new-Dylan” he is aware that the sound adds a nice texture to the pedestrian ear, but I have not heard any virtuoso work from Bruce on harmonica.

I mean, he has botched the harmonica intro to “The River” countless times in concert, but his safety net was the fact that all those wrong notes were at least notes somewhere in the same scale.  You really can’t lose if your harmonica in the correct key.

A technically excellent player may be John Popper (the guy from Blues Traveler), for example.

Great post. I’ll add that it takes skill to get good at playing individual notes (because those are some small holes) and bending the pitch, both of which he can do.

• Like 2

One of my favorite moments in any Bruce song is in The Promised Land where they go from the guitar solo, to the sax solo, and then harmonica comes in with the opening riff before the 3rd verse. 

• Like 1