05:33

3.BECAUSE THE NIGHT

07:09

4.QUARTER TO THREE

10:44

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Erik must still be working on his essay.

He just messaged me, 

"Paul, I cannot take anymore of this 1978 nonsense. Bruce still thinks he's still a legend waiting to burst out and the followers are falling for it. Normally I would use my well thumbed lexicon and write a review with a packet of wet wipes. But, no more. I'm done. I'm off to wait for the Bleachers new LP.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 3

Great to see after more than 40 years this show released as complete show in good quality 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

image.png.aa0dd712adf298153cb7291658004575.png

Some nitpicking, but I thought this picture is from the Phoenix, July 8 1978 stand. The live versions of “Prove It All Night” and “Paradise By The C” aired by some radio stations in 1978 are culled from this show, which was recorded on multi-tracks and later mixed down to two-track with the intent to cull live cuts, though Columbia never even pressed up “Prove It” or “Paradise” as a promo nor anything else from those tapes (until now :P)

Dave Marsh: "At noon, producer/manager Jon Landau, Bruce and I disappear into Springsteen’s room to play the Berkeley concert mixes. There are two mixes of an eight-minute rendition of “Prove It All Night” that shatters the LP version, and one mix of an unnamed, shorter instrumental, often called “Paradise by the Sea,” which opens the second half of his concerts. Even on a small cassette player, it’s clear that something considerable is going on.

For years people have been begging Springsteen to make a live album, and “Prove It All Night” shows why. The song is considered the lightest item on Darkness on the Edge of Town, his new album, but onstage it becomes what pianist Roy Bittan, for one, thinks is the most exciting song of the show, featuring a lengthy guitar and keyboard improvisation that sounds like an unholy alliance between the Yardbirds and Bob Dylan. When the introduction gives way to the melody of the song, “Prove It” is transformed from something potentially light and dismissible into an emotional crucible. Hearing it, you may wonder if “Prove It All Night” is a hit single, but you know it’s a great song.

“Paradise by the Sea” is its alter ego. Only Springsteen, touring behind a new album, would have come up with this to open the second half of the show: a five-minute instrumental featuring Clarence Clemons’ sax and Danny Federici’s organ, which simultaneously evokes Duane Eddy and Booker T. and the MGs.

Clemons walks into the room with an unbelievably joyous look on his face, and when the tape ends, he takes Bruce by the arm and shouts, “Everybody into the pool!” The next sound is a series of splashes, and in a few moments they reappear, bathing suits dripping, and listen again, then repeat the performance. Soon, the tiny hotel bedroom is crowded with half a dozen people dripping wet and exuberant."

1 minute ago, el sergio said:

Some nitpicking, but I thought this picture is from the Phoenix, July 8 1978 stand

I don't think it would be the first time the cover came from a different show.

Nice picture though.

Love it when they release something that hasn't been a classic trading bootleg like this! However, shows are still needed from late 1984 and early 2012.

Good job NUGS,

Brad

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

NUGS: Is this the show from June 30 or July 1st? If you go to the NUGS App and check in your stash - it says June 30th, 1978! Ya'll also fucked up with the 6/23/93: THATS NOT AN E STREET SHOW PEOPLE!!!!!

PLEASE MAKE CORRECTIONS; Otherwise - you dudes rock!

Brad

FE584E0E-8A70-4F10-962D-7C43EBB1371D_1_201_a.jpeg

39EF7B4A-70B2-428F-856A-3A093613FF56_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

I don't think it would be the first time the cover came from a different show.

Nice picture though.

Indeed nice piture though. For what its worth, here some background about this picture from the Rolling Stone august 1978 cover story "Bruce Springsteen Raises Cain" by Dave Marsh

Phoenix, Saturday, July 8th. It’s not just that it’s another fantastic show. This is another goddamn event, and it goes farther than the Roxy, with all of the show’s intimacy, innocence and vulnerability, but with an added factor of pandemonium. It’s the sweetest-tempered crowd I’ve ever seen, and at the same time, the most maniacal. Bruce dedicates the show to the town in memory of the time “when this was about the only place I could get a job,” and the crowd gives it back. During “Prove It All Night,” three extremely young girls in the front row hold up a hand-lettered sign written on a bedsheet. Quoting the song, it says, Just One Kiss Will Get These Things For You. And he gets them, during “Rosalita,” one after another, as they race up to kiss him, lightly, on the cheek. A fourth darts up, and just…reaches out and touches his hand. And finally, three more race up and bowl him over. (“This little girl, couldn’t have been more than fifteen, and she had braces on her teeth,” Springsteen exclaims later. “And she had her tongue so far down my throat I nearly choked.”)

I’ve never seen anything like this in such a big hall. Before the encores–which include “Raise Your Hand” and the inevitable “Quarter to Three”–are over, not seven, but seventeen girls have climbed up to kiss him, and there are couples dancing, actually jitterbugging, on the front of the stage. The cameramen are torn between filming Bruce, who is pouring it all out, and simply shooting the crowd, which is pushing him father and farther.

• Like 2