Greasy Lake Community

June Archive Release - 1 July 1978, Berkley

5 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Anyone played The Promise yet? Verdict? 

Sounds good to me, and Erik certainly likes it:

The encore starts with one of the most significant, singular additions to the Live Archive series, “The Promise,” performed by Springsteen on solo piano. I considered devoting this entire essay to “The Promise,” such is its importance as a song, and in this 1978 arrangement and performance. A friend recently referred to it as “one of the two most important outtakes in the history of music,” the other being Bob Dylan’s “Blind Willie McTell.”

Bruce said “The Promise” was the first song he wrote after the Born to Run album, and it carries overt connective tissue to “Thunder Road,” borrowing those words for its chorus and serving as, if not a sequel, the other side of the coin. For me, “The Promise” is the most powerful distillation in song of the key themes Bruce would explore across Darkness and The River. Heard later by those already familiar with the two albums, it can come across as more of the same, but in 1976 or 1978 it was a revelation.

Over time, Bruce revised the lyrics to “The Promise,” and with a rewritten third verse about his father, he dedicates the song to Douglas in Berkeley and delivers a stark, emotional masterpiece. The songwriting, filled with evocative lines like, “I lived a secret I should have kept to myself, but I got drunk one night and I told it” and “When the promise is broken, you go on living, but it steals something from down in your soul,” is Springsteen at his very best.

Through the passing of time, it is also remarkable how some of the song’s deeply personal lines take on new, societal relevance. More than 40 years later, these words ring truer than ever:

When the truth is spoken

And it don’t make no difference

Something in your heart grows cold

We’re so fortunate to have “The Promise” officially released in its most significant form.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

I enjoyed listening to the first half on ESR earlier. And I have purchased it and will give a proper listen tonight and tomorrow. 

But really don't I already have this in Atlanta? 15th Winterland? There will never be anything like 9/20/78. That was the height of Bruce. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

28 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Enjoy :) 

Now that is fast!:) Nice review, and gives the essence of the show.

This is what I was hoping for when the Series started!:)

A show with incomplete circulating audio and a partially unknown setlist.

I was not especially waiting for shows that were already available in excellent sound quality for decades.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Meanwhile no @Daisey Jeep in sight.

She is probably very busy now making sure there is enough room on her phone for Prove It All Night.

Just got home from work 

Was thinking about this this morning (if we would get one) while i was busy snapping the sunrise like 32 times and they will all be dreadful photos anyway :D

Needlessly  to say you are correct, i have a bit of clean out (again)

Always happy for a 78 show 

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Jez mate:D

That's fast ! 

I havn't even downloaded it yet

:lol:

Ill be back to read it in a few 

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Sounds good to me, and Erik certainly likes it:

The encore starts with one of the most significant, singular additions to the Live Archive series, “The Promise,” performed by Springsteen on solo piano. I considered devoting this entire essay to “The Promise,” such is its importance as a song, and in this 1978 arrangement and performance. A friend recently referred to it as “one of the two most important outtakes in the history of music,” the other being Bob Dylan’s “Blind Willie McTell.”

Bruce said “The Promise” was the first song he wrote after the Born to Run album, and it carries overt connective tissue to “Thunder Road,” borrowing those words for its chorus and serving as, if not a sequel, the other side of the coin. For me, “The Promise” is the most powerful distillation in song of the key themes Bruce would explore across Darkness and The River. Heard later by those already familiar with the two albums, it can come across as more of the same, but in 1976 or 1978 it was a revelation.

Over time, Bruce revised the lyrics to “The Promise,” and with a rewritten third verse about his father, he dedicates the song to Douglas in Berkeley and delivers a stark, emotional masterpiece. The songwriting, filled with evocative lines like, “I lived a secret I should have kept to myself, but I got drunk one night and I told it” and “When the promise is broken, you go on living, but it steals something from down in your soul,” is Springsteen at his very best.

Through the passing of time, it is also remarkable how some of the song’s deeply personal lines take on new, societal relevance. More than 40 years later, these words ring truer than ever:

When the truth is spoken

And it don’t make no difference

Something in your heart grows cold

We’re so fortunate to have “The Promise” officially released in its most significant form.

Ok now im over-excitted 

11 hours ago, Lampi said:

Now that is fast!:) Nice review, and gives the essence of the show.

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Jez mate:D

That's fast ! 

I havn't even downloaded it yet

:lol:

Ill be back to read it in a few 

Thanks, both of you. I didn't even think I'd gotten it posted that quickly hahaha. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

12 hours ago, Lampi said:

This is what I was hoping for when the Series started!:)

A show with incomplete circulating audio and a partially unknown setlist.

I was not especially waiting for shows that were already available in excellent sound quality for decades.

Totally agree.

Of the eight previous 1978 shows released, five had circulated for 40 years in very good to excellent sound quality and were readily available, and another had been previously released on DVD. To me, a show which had never circulated in full is a far more interesting release than any of those six.  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

18 hours ago, el sergio said:

Indeed nice piture though. For what its worth, here some background about this picture from the Rolling Stone august 1978 cover story "Bruce Springsteen Raises Cain" by Dave Marsh

Phoenix, Saturday, July 8th. It’s not just that it’s another fantastic show. This is another goddamn event, and it goes farther than the Roxy, with all of the show’s intimacy, innocence and vulnerability, but with an added factor of pandemonium. It’s the sweetest-tempered crowd I’ve ever seen, and at the same time, the most maniacal. Bruce dedicates the show to the town in memory of the time “when this was about the only place I could get a job,” and the crowd gives it back. During “Prove It All Night,” three extremely young girls in the front row hold up a hand-lettered sign written on a bedsheet. Quoting the song, it says, Just One Kiss Will Get These Things For You. And he gets them, during “Rosalita,” one after another, as they race up to kiss him, lightly, on the cheek. A fourth darts up, and just…reaches out and touches his hand. And finally, three more race up and bowl him over. (“This little girl, couldn’t have been more than fifteen, and she had braces on her teeth,” Springsteen exclaims later. “And she had her tongue so far down my throat I nearly choked.”)

I’ve never seen anything like this in such a big hall. Before the encores–which include “Raise Your Hand” and the inevitable “Quarter to Three”–are over, not seven, but seventeen girls have climbed up to kiss him, and there are couples dancing, actually jitterbugging, on the front of the stage. The cameramen are torn between filming Bruce, who is pouring it all out, and simply shooting the crowd, which is pushing him father and farther.

Oh nice!!! Where’d ya get that video? I went to Arizona State University and I saw some shows there: What a horrible arena haha

Brad

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I enjoyed listening to the first half on ESR earlier. And I have purchased it and will give a proper listen tonight and tomorrow. 

But really don't I already have this in Atlanta? 15th Winterland? There will never be anything like 9/20/78. That was the height of Bruce. 

You have most of the same songs from each night but you don’t have the same show: BIG DIFFERENCE! 

Normally, like on the boots - you’ll feel a different audience with the music each night and it makes the songs (and the band’s energy) sound/feel different. Hence, this is what gets lost sometimes with soundboards.

Brad

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, muscum said:

Hi.  After reading the review I can't understand why it is only rated as 8/10?

And this 8/10 is a even tad more than the essential December 13th, 1992 – Boston Garden show :)

But leaving the kidding aside, the angle @Paolo's Circus Story is working on for his archive series is trying to put some number on the essence in the already long loooooong list of Archive shows, isn't it?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lagoon said:

Does anyone know if a high quality version of the original photo used on the cover is available online?

I do not think I have ever seen this original photo used on the cover available online, except printed in a book. Picture is from Michael Putland, see https://michaelputland.com/?s=Springsteen

Some pictures part of the same serie used for the cover here:1524321707_Springsteen-MichaelPutland-689x1000.thumb.jpg.852a172a6f693c68d2612426288fef67.jpg2012221602_Springsteen-MichaelPutland.-400.thumb.jpg.78ab409b743d9017cd401190443fb888.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, muscum said:

Hi.  After reading the review I can't understand why it is only rated as 8/10?

Alright mate

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read and also to take an interest in the rating.

I'm inclined to mention again that these ratings are just a quick reference, and that the writing itself is the most important aspect of all of my write-ups, but I'd say I went with 8 because Berkeley is far less significant and perfected than Passaic, Winterland, The Roxy and Atlanta, but still a damn good show. It might be further down on that long list, but 8/10 is a helluva rating haha! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, el sergio said:

And this 8/10 is a even tad more than the essential December 13th, 1992 – Boston Garden show :)

But leaving the kidding aside, the angle @Paolo's Circus Story is working on for his archive series is trying to put some number on the essence in the already long loooooong list of Archive shows, isn't it?

Also worth mentioning (I might have to address this again in an upcoming review) that the above mentioned list stacks all these shows together, but every rating I end up giving is decided within the context of the show's respective tour. Yeah, there are some, like 19/9/78 that transcend and the 10/10s are 10s in the Archive project as a whole, but for me Berkeley is an 8/10 Darkness show and Boston is a 7.5/10 92-93 World Tour show. I wouldn't like to think people are looking at both ratings and picking one above the other when they're in relation to the quality of shows from different eras. I hope this makes sense. 

I'm just trying to have some fun with these write-ups, y'know, make the most of spending so many hours listening to Bruce's music and these live releases, make use of my English Language skills, and potentially help current and future fans out in the process, if they need it. That's about the size of it. :)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Also worth mentioning (I might have to address this again in an upcoming review) that the above mentioned list stacks all these shows together, but every rating I end up giving is decided within the context of the show's respective tour. Yeah, there are some, like 19/9/78 that transcend and the 10/10s are 10s in the Archive project as a whole, but for me Berkeley is an 8/10 Darkness show and Boston is a 7.5/10 92-93 World Tour show. I wouldn't like to think people are looking at both ratings and picking one above the other when they're in relation to the quality of shows from different eras. I hope this makes sense. 

I'm just trying to have some fun with these write-ups, y'know, make the most of spending so many hours listening to Bruce's music and these live releases, make use of my English Language skills, and potentially help current and future fans out in the process, if they need it. That's about the size of it. :)

Fair enough and thanks for the assessments of all the Archive Series.  I agree that Berkeley is below Piece De Resistance, as I think of 19/9/78, which was the first boot I ever got in about 1979.

And as for The Promise, which is my favourite song ever, we still have to wait for the definitive reading which is a different '78 version.  This take does have the superior lyrics in the final verse - "Daddy taught me how to walk quiet" etc, rather than "I won big once and hit the coast" as on most other released versions.  But, I'd forgotten the mistake Bruce makes at the end "I followed that dream just like those guys.…the dead end bars".  I think he got muddled over which version he wanted to sing. 

• Like 2