Greasy Lake Community

June Archive Release - 1 July 1978, Berkley

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks, both of you. I didn't even think I'd gotten it posted that quickly hahaha. 

Don't ever stop being our psudo- Italian* friend and Bruce Springsteen archive  reviewer dear Paolo

* your lucky to be (psudo) Italian ! Auto correct just tried to make you Iranian ! 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:06 AM, BruceHistory said:

Love it when they release something that hasn't been a classic trading bootleg like this! However, shows are still needed from late 1984 and early 2012.

Good job NUGS,

Brad

Moncton for Mid 2012 if they can replicate the quality of the sound we heard at the venue 

It should rival Hammersmith Odeon (it was that good ! I was just too green to know it was not typical at the time)

This is my plan

Its raining cats and dogs and horses and goats her today

But that's how i most enjoy listening to my beloved winterland

The best spirit in the night ever i was crossing Titahi bay road being lashed by stinging freezing rain in a howling southerly

- I've only been to 5 Bruce shows so i have to get what i can get ! 

No wind here and not sure if an umbella will detract from the listening experience 

So a day after everyone else ive had a descent listen 

Unfortunatly its not ideal being accompanied by an umbrella so i took it down and just carried it

Also it stopped raining :mellow:

Anyway it was good

Well great in fact 

But not quite as great as winterland

The sound was lovelly and clear but ....

I thought the ESB needed to be turned up the first couple of songs

Bruce's voice is iconic on this release 

To complain about a 1978 release i just do not understand

I loved how he dedicated racing to his sister and told her 3000 people would be looking out for her skipping school (serously does it really matter if someone fails gym?)

I loved how he talked about that God dam guitar etc before growing up and now his dad was here to see him !

I want to be by those speakers that are so loud they have to help you out at the end ! :lol:

I loved the story about the guys who didn't know NJ and i loved Bruce's directions of how to get there 

I loved him dedicating the promise to his dad

And its a great promise - but not the greatest 

And just regarding the promise...

WTF ? It just ends 

Not a peep from the crowd when its over -  who signed off on this ???

I have listened to winterland 100s of times 

The crowd are integral to the concert 

My highlights so far 

Badlands (all concerts should start with badlands)

Racing

Jungleland

Night

....wait

Juzus fucking H Christ 

Im missing the encore

Where is born to run

Dam it

I think i have to delete more shit to make more space 

My apologies to nugs and Bruce inc 

Ill be back ....

Daisey, but what about his mix up in the last verse of The Promise?  He starts to sing "just like those guys do" [way up on the screen] but then just has a brain freeze and kinda mumbles "dead end bars" as he knows its not the right coupling.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, muscum said:

Daisey, but what about his mix up in the last verse of The Promise?  He starts to sing "just like those guys do" [way up on the screen] but then just has a brain freeze and kinda mumbles "dead end bars" as he knows its not the right coupling.

Ill have a relisten

It was playing when i was walking across the rail bridge (it has a pedestrian part) it was a bit breezy and i didn't want to loose my cap Gus gave me from the stone pony

Next thing i know im across the bridge - with cap firmly tucked into bag and silence  :lol:

Is it my imagination or is the audience and also Bruce his talking in between the songs way lower in the mix? 

34 minutes ago, Marnix said:

Is it my imagination or is the audience and also Bruce his talking in between the songs way lower in the mix? 

No, you’re right. This is my old slight grievance with this release.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 11:30 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

Don't ever stop being our psudo- Italian* friend and Bruce Springsteen archive  reviewer dear Paolo

* your lucky to be (psudo) Italian ! Auto correct just tried to make you Iranian ! 

I think I've said before, as long as you guys keep on reading and seemingly enjoy them, I'm more than motivated to keep going. Mind, I'm already four review drafts deep into the 2016 tour, so I'm locked in for at least two years.

And that's without thinking about the next tour and all of the Live Downloads that brings us...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I think I've said before, as long as you guys keep on reading and seemingly enjoy them, I'm more than motivated to keep going. Mind, I'm already four review drafts deep into the 2016 tour, so I'm locked in for at least two years.

And that's without thinking about the next tour and all of the Live Downloads that brings us...

Gotta love the dedication of an Italian fan :P

;)

Even if they are from Sutherland*

* praying i got that right :lol:

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Gotta love the dedication of an Italian fan :P

;)

Even if they are from Sutherland*

* praying i got that right :lol:

Close, Daisey, just replace the 't' and 'h' with 'n' and 'd'. At the minute it's all a bit Don't Look Now

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bmx6q2n5pc8mkwxy33s5

And speaking of Sunderland, it's 9 years today since my first and only show :)

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Maybe this has already been answered but why does every 78 show sound so different? It's the only tour that's this inconsistent. September 20 is perfect, Agora is awful, Berkley's decent, and none of the others sound the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

Maybe this has already been answered but why does every 78 show sound so different? It's the only tour that's this inconsistent. September 20 is perfect, Agora is awful, Berkley's decent, and none of the others sound the 

My copy of Agora from WEBN sounds a lot better than the official release. One of the best shows of all time and they butchered the mix. 

15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And speaking of Sunderland, it's 9 years today since my first and only show :)

And it poured down on this year's anniversary too.  I got soaked on my only ever visit to Sunderland for that show 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

My copy of Agora from WEBN sounds a lot better than the official release. One of the best shows of all time and they butchered the mix. 

All versions of the bootleg and the archive version have the same mix.  But the archive release was compressed way too much when mastered which is why it sounds bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I listened to "The Promise" from the Berkeley show on YouTube the other day, and it's the best performance of that song I have ever heard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I listened to "The Promise" from the Berkeley show on YouTube the other day, and it's the best performance of that song I have ever heard.

It definitely would have been 10/10 without the lyric mix up at the end. But that’s live music and why we love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

It definitely would have been 10/10 without the lyric mix up at the end. But that’s live music and why we love it. 

Very true. Better this than a subsequent edit or overdub. It's still a "10" for me BTW. ;)

• Like 2

For me, the Darkness Tour is better the less I listen to it, paradoxically.  Before the Archives era, I was like many on this board, and I held 1978 in almost celestial esteem, having survived for years only on the Passaic and Summertime Bruce bootlegs and grainy videos of the Largo show.  But the oversaturation of 1978 shows in official remastered detailed quality over the past 6 years really exposes just how rough and unpolished it actually was, at least in terms of "listenability".

58 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

For me that is why I enjoy the Darkness tour and the 76/77 stuff so much,  fun and loose.  It is also the reason TOL is my least favorite (not counting the fake band tour) since TOL was way too rehearsed, polished and predictable along with the death of a thousand horns to Adam Raised a Cain.  

• Like 1