Greasy Lake Community

Bob Dylan- Infidels Outtake "Too Late"

This song is rumored to be one of the outtakes to be released on the Bootleg Series-Infidels set. It was included as a bonus track on the latest Uncut magazine cd. Some of the lyrics appeared in Foot of Pride.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Kooly said:

This song is rumored to be one of the outtakes to be released on the Bootleg Series-Infidels set. It was included as a bonus track on the latest Uncut magazine cd. Some of the lyrics appeared in Foot of Pride.

Brill. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

50 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Nice song, although seeing so many pictures of Mark Knopfler on the video without hearing a good-ol’ strat solo over a six minute track is a bit of a let down.

Double cd ~ £17:99 ,  5 cd deluxe in the region of £119:99 ,  will have to think about this, I think.   A  proper look at the tracklists might be needed for sure. 

I would have preferred a straight-up Infidels outtakes set. Hopefully, they're not holding stuff back from those sessions to give us Empire Burlesque outtakes.

Probably the 2nd of these releases where I'll go for the deluxe set. The other was Trouble No More. 

This will be released just in time for the next lockdown. 

What else is there to spend your money on these days?

• Like 1

I’m stating the obvious here of course, but I’ve just listened to the whole ‘Infidels’ for the fist time since I don’t know when, and I was blown away by the quality (and abundance) of Knopfler’s (and Mick Taylor’s, to a lesser extent) guitar work on that album.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

I’m stating the obvious here of course, but I’ve just listened to the whole ‘Infidels’ for the fist time since I don’t know when, and I was blown away by the quality (and abundance) of Knopfler’s (and Mick Taylor’s, to a lesser extent) guitar work on that album.

I'm blown away by that album full stop. Was sorely underrated when it came out - particularly by the trendy NME style journalism we had in the Uk at that time. 

Don't know what the hell it's about but Jokerman is a brilliant. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Demos said:

I'm blown away by that album full stop. Was sorely underrated when it came out - particularly by the trendy NME style journalism we had in the Uk at that time. 

Don't know what the hell it's about but Jokerman is a brilliant. 

Well, I’m too young to remember when it came out. With the benefit of hindsight, I guess it suffers because of its association with a rather poor artistic period for Dylan. It’s right between the end of the spiritual infatuation (with which it’s inevitably associated, given its title; and to be honest, there’s still a lot of lay preaching on the album), the controversial ‘Empire Burlesque’, and two of his weakest releases ever (‘Knock out loaded’ and ‘Down in the Groove’). Also, the album artwork doesn’t help at all. That cover suggests everything but a well crafted artistic effort. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:48 AM, Frank said:

Infidels is one of my favourite Dylan albums. Your right Knopfler's guitar work is exquisite on it. Some great songs, and great production. I saw him on the Infidels tour at St James Park, Newcastle when Mick Taylor was in the touring band.

18 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I saw him on the Infidels tour at St James Park, Newcastle when Mick Taylor was in the touring band.

I've nearly recovered from the boredom of two hours of Santana!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I've nearly recovered from the boredom of two hours of Santana!

Agreed.

Probably the most tedious performance I have ever seen from any band. I thought they were never going to finish. Every track sounded the same, with a non-stop guitar solo from Carlos. Lindisfarne were great though, as was Dylan and his band of course when they eventually took to the stage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Infidels is one of my favourite Dylan albums. Your right Knopfler's guitar work is exquisite on it. Some great songs, and great production. I saw him on the Infidels tour at St James Park, Newcastle when Mick Taylor was in the touring band.

A real (full show) “Real Live” is what is really missing in this bootleg series release, IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

On a side note: in the recent days I went through Bob’s nineties output again and I was stunned by the quality of “Under the red sky“. It is played and sung superbly. I understand it was impossible for that album not being eclipsed by his recent predecessor “Oh Mercy”, and some of the lyrics might appear childish, but “Under the red sky” is severely underrated, IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

On a side note: in the recent days I went through Bob’s nineties output again and I was stunned by the quality of “Under the red sky“. It is played and sung superbly. I understand it was impossible for that album not being eclipsed by his recent predecessor “Oh Mercy”, and some of the lyrics might appear childish, but “Under the red sky” is severely underrated, IMHO.

Aye. I've never understood the lack of love for World Gone Wrong and Knocked Out Loaded either. They're great records.

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. I've never understood the lack of love for World Gone Wrong and Knocked Out Loaded either. They're great records.

“Knock out loaded” is difficult to redeem (beside the stunning ‘Brownsville Girl’). Both ‘Good as I been to you’ and ‘World Gone Wrong’ on the other hand are stellar, IMHO.