Greasy Lake Community

BITUSA Box Set

Just heard a BITUSA outtake on E Street Radio (Unsatisfied Heart), and it got me thinking: When do you think the box set for Born in the USA will be released? Or will it even be released in the foreseeable future? Additionally, what do you want to see in the box set? Personally, I'd be content with outtakes and electric Nebraska, on top of a remastered album. 

Let me know your thoughts!

You got my hopes into overdrive there for a minute

I want Nebraska to be a stand alone box set of its own because Nebraska deserves the treatment 

I do view Nebraska and B ITUSA as twins rather than just siblings - but the kind of non identical twins who are born on different days

To get everything i want might be too complicated for JLM ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

You got my hopes into overdrive there for a minute

My apologies, you probably won't be the only one :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dbro02 said:

My apologies, you probably won't be the only one :D

Bruce did the exact same thing to me not that long ago and then served us up a Jeep add:D

(And i quite like that Jeep add) 

10 hours ago, Dbro02 said:

Just heard a BITUSA outtake on E Street Radio (Unsatisfied Heart), and it got me thinking: When do you think the box set for Born in the USA will be released? Or will it even be released in the foreseeable future? Additionally, what do you want to see in the box set? Personally, I'd be content with outtakes and electric Nebraska, on top of a remastered album. 

Let me know your thoughts!

It's funny, I still find it weird that Nebraska and BITUSA are so closely related.   Having been around at the time (with almost no background info) I saw nothing in common.    I got on board with the River, then listened to all the back catalogue and loved it... then Nebraska came out, and I thought "well I guess he's winding down his career - he had a pretty good run; he IS thirty-two afer all!"    Next two years I listened to the records consistently, but thought of him as an artist from the recent past.    Then one day BAM! Dancing in the Dark comes on the radio.... that was fkn surreal.     Seemed about as far removed as it could be from Nebraska.

• Like 2

Those '83 "Garage demos" represent such a unique set of recordings that it would be a shame if we don't eventually see them officially documented.

I addressed these songs in an e-mail exchange with Toby Scott (who served as Springsteen's engineer/chief archivist for nearly 40 years) early last year but his answer didn't reveal any specifics:

Has any work been done, for TRACKS II  or other projects, on Bruce's solo/garage demos in preparation for release (like "County Fair" was for the ESSENTIAL set)? I'm thinking specifically of "Sugarland", "Follow That Dream", "Unsatisfied Heart", "Don't Back Down" and the like?  These are uniquely powerful and I wonder if Bruce values them as such, or simply sees them as just another batch of music he decided not to put out. 

When requested, Bruce will go through his catalog and pick out songs to release for some purpose (generally thought of by the record company to generate $).  Work on old tracks varies from extensive to none.  It depends on the state of the recording of that song.

Whether they see the light of day or not, at least we're fortunate enough to have the Lost Masters versions.

I put this compilation together a while back (sourced from the Lost Masters and Unsatisfied Heart, except where noted).  I’m not sure the E Street Band ever played better in the studio, and the power of the solo material that Bruce cut in 1983 speaks for itself.

MURDER INCORPORATED
1. Born in the U.S.A.
2. Don't Back Down
3. Murder Incorporated
4. Follow That Dream
5. This Hard Land
6. Johnny Bye Bye
7. Drop On Down and Cover Me
8. Richfield Whistle
9. Frankie
10. Sugarland
11. None But the Brave
12. Shut Out the Light (TRACKS)
13. My Love Will Not Let You Down
14. County Fair (Essential)
15. Unsatisfied Heart

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, estband said:

Those '83 "Garage demos" represent such a unique set of recordings that it would be a shame if we don't eventually see them officially documented.

In one of his radio shows, Bruce did say that all that stuff would come out one day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

In one of his radio shows, Bruce did say that all that stuff would come out one day.

Bruce also told Backstreets in a 2007 interview that a D&D Tour DVD was done and ready to go, and that they "wanted to find a way to get it out to the fans". 

52e581c797ac95a8ad190fdcfaa1a382.gif

• Sad 1

Really want this box but I'm scared that he will 'finish off' songs with his 2020-21 voice. Although it worked for Letter To You, it won't work for the 1982-84 material.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

It's funny, I still find it weird that Nebraska and BITUSA are so closely related.   Having been around at the time (with almost no background info) I saw nothing in common.    I got on board with the River, then listened to all the back catalogue and loved it... then Nebraska came out, and I thought "well I guess he's winding down his career - he had a pretty good run; he IS thirty-two afer all!"    Next two years I listened to the records consistently, but thought of him as an artist from the recent past.    Then one day BAM! Dancing in the Dark comes on the radio.... that was fkn surreal.     Seemed about as far removed as it could be from Nebraska.

Glad to hear from the point of view of someone who was already a fan before BITUSA.

I wonder... What did you think the 1st time you heard the album? And the title track? Did you think he hit it out of the park with that song/album?

By the way, the BITUSA tour began 37 years ago tonight, June 29th, 1984.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruce The Boss said:

Glad to hear from the point of view of someone who was already a fan before BITUSA.

I wonder... What did you think the 1st time you heard the album? And the title track? Did you think he hit it out of the park with that song/album?

By the way, the BITUSA tour began 37 years ago tonight, June 29th, 1984.

First time I heard the album I was excited to hear such a commercial record, because I thought it was my best hope of getting an Australian tour (to that point I had been one of very few diehard fans in this country - he was not well known here; I had never even seen him on TV before!). 

As to what I actually thought of it musically, the title track was thrilling to hear; loved turning up the stereo with that.  DITD was just perfect pop, and No Surrender felt like a direct descendant of BTR.  But a few of the other rockers felt a bit like River outtakes with synth laid over the top.  I had mixed feelings about the production, but the excitement of seeing my boy going up the charts, and hearing media talk about a tour, well that was the overriding emotion.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I was a Bruce fan before BITUSA was released and had seen him a bunch of times in concert prior to its release.  I loved the album from day one and still do, reminds me of summer.  Cincinnati was the second stop of the tour and saw both of the 84 shows there, then Rupp, Indy, Louisville, Indy again etc. etc, they were all great.  My parents are huge Bruce fans and we wore that album out and attended all the shows together, also a fun trip to Daytona with the album blasting out of the Dodge Dart.   My mom had a new 84 Trans Am too, so riding around with the T-Tops off listening to it was fun or cruising the old Dixie Rib in my Dads 69 Road Runner (he still has it) listening to it and other Bruce albums plus a ton of other great music made a great summer.  Basically the same stuff We do to this day.  One thing I noticed from the first leg to the second leg of the tour was the audience, as Bruce became a huge success more and more were there to hear the BITUSA album that had no clue of his previous work, so the intimacy with his audience on the early part and previous tours was somewhat lost.  

• Like 4

Aa a young teeny bobber who had no idea of what came before BITUSA,  the radio could/ should  have done a better job informing us 

• Like 1