Greasy Lake Community

Purpose of Some Songs

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is anyone else finding it slightly amusing Jimmy is being called out for reading too much into the lyrics :lol:

You know if Jerseyfornia was still around he would have from the opening post! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

Another Thin Line, which he tried out around the same time...now there's a statement song.

Just read though the lyric's, what a depressing song. Don't know what the statement is besides, things have went completely south on the story teller. I hate songs like that. 

Music is a upper for me, never a downer!  

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is anyone else finding it slightly amusing Jimmy is being called out for reading too much into the lyrics :lol:

I wish Jimmy would just shut up and listen!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Just read though the lyric's, what a depressing song. Don't know what the statement is besides, things have went completely south on the story teller. I hate songs like that. 

Music is a upper for me, never a downer!  

So I take it you don't like This Depression then ?

On 7/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, Jimmy James said:

I'll go back to my original post and say Code of Silence is a bigger fuck you song to NYPD, then 41 Shots will ever be. 

And much more effective song!  

I never said it wasn't, I was just explaining my reasoning as to why Bruce snapped and said "we need some quiet."

You could tell he was frustrated. The look on his face wasn't of anger, but to me it was "you guys aren't understanding the anger behind what I'm trying to say."

2 hours ago, Krog2187 said:

I never said it wasn't, I was just explaining my reasoning as to why Bruce snapped and said "we need some quiet."

You could tell he was frustrated. The look on his face wasn't of anger, but to me it was "you guys aren't understanding the anger behind what I'm trying to say."

And that’s the arrogance. “I know you put out a ton of money to enjoy a concert but this is about me, not you!”

After all this, maybe it's time to go back to what was said early in the topic:

Maybe the only reason asking for quiet was the show was audio-recorded and filmed for official release?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lampi said:

After all this, maybe it's time to go back to what was said early in the topic:

Maybe the only reason asking for quiet was the show was audio-recorded and filmed for official release?

We always talk about edits and mixes here, couldn't the crowd noise be edited or mixed out? 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

We always talk about edits and mixes here, couldn't the crowd noise be edited or mixed out? 

Not effectively, not in 2000. Like I said it's why Blood Brothers wasn't included in LINYC - too much noise and bad clapping from the audience. More modern technology has been able to mitigate it but you can still clearly see the issue on the archive series release. 

Shame !

One of my favourite parts of LINYC is in Badlands when the lights go up and i see you all out there 

Its one of the defining moments of my fandom 

On a release like that I want to hear you as well !

On 7/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Jertucky said:

And that’s the arrogance. “I know you put out a ton of money to enjoy a concert but this is about me, not you!”

So what's he supposed to do? Not put out quiet songs? I'd rather have it quiet for slower songs instead of some dick yaking to his buddy about something nobody else in the arena gives a shit about. 

Bruce feels the same way. And in a way aren't we there to see him? It says Bruce Springsteen on the ticket, not drunken slob sitting infront of me.

It's 10 minutes of a concert. If you're that upset about it, stay home. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Krog2187 said:

So what's he supposed to do? Not put out quiet songs? I'd rather have it quiet for slower songs instead of some dick yaking to his buddy about something nobody else in the arena gives a shit about. 

Bruce feels the same way. And in a way aren't we there to see him? It says Bruce Springsteen on the ticket, not drunken slob sitting infront of me.

It's 10 minutes of a concert. If you're that upset about it, stay home. 

Yeah, make the quiet songs and play the quiet songs. Don’t dictate to the audience what they should do. By and large, the audience knows what to do. They’re generally quieter for the quieter songs (or heading to the bathroom), louder for the rocking songs. I find it arrogant, you don’t. Fair enough.

I’m certainly not upset about it nor do I need to be told to stay home. I won’t spend that kind of money for a concert, nor do I really have any desire to go. I’ll listen to the albums.

7 hours ago, Krog2187 said:

It says Bruce Springsteen on the ticket, not drunken slob sitting infront of me.

I doubt a drunken slob would do as he/she was told.

By heck, you do see them, eh? One such fella lay down for almost all of a concert at St James Park, mithering away one minute, singing his head off the next. Remembering, also, the lass who was out of her skull on something or other - she had pushed her way through the masses to the front where we were in Dublin. We beckoned a steward over, 'eased' her over the barrier and they carted her off - right in front of the band.  Eeee, you do get them.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eileen said:

I doubt a drunken slob would do as he/she was told.

By heck, you do see them, eh? One such fella lay down for almost all of a concert at St James Park, mithering away one minute, singing his head off the next. Remembering, also, the lass who was out of her skull on something or other - she had pushed her way through the masses to the front where we were in Dublin. We beckoned a steward over, 'eased' her over the barrier and they carted her off - right in front of the band.  Eeee, you do get them.

I had the drunken middle aged rich bitches fighting durring BTR in Christchurch 

On 6/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, HeroOfVirtue said:

I think seeing mass murderers as humans making a horrible choice instead of animals or monsters is important. Beasts can be hunted and monsters slain, but what do we do with humans? The bomber in the song is apparently a loving mother or father, making the choice to sacrifice their life to do mass murder...what drives that choice? I think it is a question worth asking. 

Yes! And, in my view, the ability to do horrible things lies, at least to some extent, in all of us. I mean, circumstances permitting and everything going horribly wrong... I really appreciate the fact that Bruce has explored these complex themes in his work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Janey* said:

Yes! And, in my view, the ability to do horrible things lies, at least to some extent, in all of us. I mean, circumstances permitting and everything going horribly wrong... I really appreciate the fact that Bruce has explored these complex themes in his work. 

Nope, some horrible stuff has happened to me and my family over the years and never once did I ever think mass murder would be a good option. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Nope, some horrible stuff has happened to me and my family over the years and never once did I ever think mass murder would be a good option. 

I think he was speaking to a greater feeling of being lost. In my opinion the murderer is striking out because he wasn't connected to things. 

If one looks even more deeply, I think our hero was going through some stuff at the time he wrote the whole Nebraska album. He was alone and wrestling with the things that made him feel more alone. The majority of his work since then is about bridging the gap in that lonelieness.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I think he was speaking to a greater feeling of being lost. In my opinion the murderer is striking out because he wasn't connected to things. 

If one looks even more deeply, I think our hero was going through some stuff at the time he wrote the whole Nebraska album. He was alone and wrestling with the things that made him feel more alone. The majority of his work since then is about bridging the gap in that lonelieness.

Just my opinion.

I dig that! So why use a mass murderer and a serial(spree) killer to get his message across?  

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:03 PM, Jimmy James said:

Most people never end up doing horrible things despite going through all kinds of stuff in their lives. These people are lucky to have some protective factors (e.g. positive personality traits, a supportive friend) that prevent them from falling off the edge. Not everyone is that lucky. That's when the capacity to do the most horrible things may manifest itself. And, this does not mean that a person who has never gone through any difficult stuff could not potentially become a serial killer. 

The ability to do horrible things lies in all of us. Whether or not this ability ever manifests itself, is a result of extremely complicated interaction between our genes and environmental factors. :)

On 7/16/2021 at 11:47 AM, Jimmy James said:

I dig that! So why use a mass murderer and a serial(spree) killer to get his message across?  

We don't know, but I'd think it's more interesting than writing a song about shoplifting, or being afraid of germs. I think his obsessive nature was how his mental stuff manifested itself. I am not an expert, aside from having my own issues that this music has helped me through.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, Jimmy James said:

Why not? It’s just storytelling, like movie making or authoring books. 
As an aside, I’ve worked with some kids over the years that have since shown up on the news dead or having killed and I have been surprised by a very low percentage of them. Tough to overcome a dangerously dysfunctional upbringing.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2021 at 3:18 AM, HeroOfVirtue said:

I think seeing mass murderers as humans making a horrible choice instead of animals or monsters is important. Beasts can be hunted and monsters slain, but what do we do with humans? The bomber in the song is apparently a loving mother or father, making the choice to sacrifice their life to do mass murder...what drives that choice? I think it is a question worth asking. 

True. And art do that by contextualizing. No man or woman is an island. The simple fact is that Johnny got 99, Jud and Nathan (Compulsion) life + 99. But we as audience were well understand, that even if none of them are innocent, it surely was "more and all this that put the gun" or the chisel in the hand of the killer. 

• Like 2