Greasy Lake Community

Wembley '85

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Just shows how huge Bruce was in his commercial peak on the back of BITUSA selling out Wembley Stadium 3 times in the space of 4 days. Two of them on weekdays. 

My dad drove me and my mum to London that Saturday morning and planned to wait around to pick us up after the show. He didn’t have a ticket and wasn’t fussed and it helped us anyway as we didn’t have to worry about parking. He asked some security guy how long the other two concerts had been so he got an idea of what time the show would finish. 

My dad dropped us off and then drove to a nearby park and saw a cricket match being played. My dad was a keen cricketer and had his cricket whites and cricket bat all in the car boot. He always used to keep it in there after it had been washed from his previous game. 

My dad got talking to one of the guys who was fielding on the boundary and they told him that they were a man short, having only 10 of the 11 required players. My Dad told him he had his kit in the car and so they asked him to play! Which he did. He then played the whole game, bowled and took 3 wickets and batted and scored I think about 25 runs. He then drove back to Wembley to pick us up at our agreed meeting point, picking us out of the crowd amongst the throngs of people walking down the street where we were all still singing “Ohhh, ohh, ohh” from the epic Twist & Shout which had just finished. Not a mobile phone or any way of contacting us. What a day. 36 years ago tomorrow. 

That's a great story and sums up the sacrifices our non-fanatical loved ones make for our addiction.

I had tickets for the 3rd and 4th but couldn't go on Independence Day so swapped that one for the 6th.  I was a bit disappointed as those two shows had almost identical setlists and I missed the variation that I got in my first (1981) three shows and with 28-30 songs there was room for change. However, I knew there was no-one to touch Bruce live and I'd be going to multiple dates on the next tour.

Blazing hot days and in my queue (more like a mob) around the entrance gates on one of the days we were listening to a very unclear soundcheck and someone said they were rehearsing Murder Incorporated and there was general excitement, but not from me as at that point I'd never heard the song and the sound was so muffled I couldn't really make it out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

That mic still looks huge! Great job. 

Here's the real issue: the Sony has a frequency response range of 70 Hz - 15,000 Hz. That's fine for spoken voices. Bass guitar is 40 - 400, grand piano is ~28 - 4200, Hammond B3 is ~33 - 5,900. We hear little above ~15kHz in practice. It also had a signal-to-noise ratio of ~42 dB - the higher the better.

Now my Nakamichi 300 with the CP-4 super-directional capsules had a 30-20k range, and a SNR of >50dB.

So the recordings with the Sony generally have decent vocals, depending on how clear the line-of-travel for the sound waves was from the source to the microphone. You can actually hear the degradation in some of my recordings when, for example, I had to lower the microphone from say head height to shoulder or below - the sound gets noticeably muffled. They also will lack the depth of sound from those lower sonics - we can fix that (slightly) now, but any tweak has a consequential effect elsewhere in the overall sound. So we have to be cautious. But if I got in good position, the clarity of the recording with the little Sony microphone is really pretty good - you all have heard the results, so judge for yourself

The recordings with my Naks at Grateful Dead shows are pristine. From the 50 yard line (or even farther back - the taping section was always behind the soundboard) with a pair of shotguns on an 8' stand the sound is clean, with a hint of audience but completely lacking in the chatter around the taper that we hear in other audience recordings. 

I actually got my Naks AND the shotguns into one of the reunion tour shows in a box at MSG (built a false bottom for my briefcase :)). But partway thru the show my host came to me and said that folks were worried that what I was doing was illegal and could cause an issue for the company. As a guest, I shut it down. Yes, I was pissed - taping is "prohibited" but not illegal, while the pot they were smoking was absolutely illegal! 

8 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Here's the real issue: the Sony has a frequency response range of 70 Hz - 15,000 Hz. That's fine for spoken voices. Bass guitar is 40 - 400, grand piano is ~28 - 4200, Hammond B3 is ~33 - 5,900. We hear little above ~15kHz in practice. It also had a signal-to-noise ratio of ~42 dB - the higher the better.

Now my Nakamichi 300 with the CP-4 super-directional capsules had a 30-20k range, and a SNR of >50dB.

So the recordings with the Sony generally have decent vocals, depending on how clear the line-of-travel for the sound waves was from the source to the microphone. You can actually hear the degradation in some of my recordings when, for example, I had to lower the microphone from say head height to shoulder or below - the sound gets noticeably muffled. They also will lack the depth of sound from those lower sonics - we can fix that (slightly) now, but any tweak has a consequential effect elsewhere in the overall sound. So we have to be cautious. But if I got in good position, the clarity of the recording with the little Sony microphone is really pretty good - you all have heard the results, so judge for yourself

The recordings with my Naks at Grateful Dead shows are pristine. From the 50 yard line (or even farther back - the taping section was always behind the soundboard) with a pair of shotguns on an 8' stand the sound is clean, with a hint of audience but completely lacking in the chatter around the taper that we hear in other audience recordings. 

I actually got my Naks AND the shotguns into one of the reunion tour shows in a box at MSG (built a false bottom for my briefcase :)). But partway thru the show my host came to me and said that folks were worried that what I was doing was illegal and could cause an issue for the company. As a guest, I shut it down. Yes, I was pissed - taping is "prohibited" but not illegal, while the pot they were smoking was absolutely illegal! 

I wish you would have recorded some Elvis Presley shows in the '70s. Then I would have had more quality recordings now instead of 100s of poor to average sounding ones I have now. Your recording of this 1985 Bruce show is really outstanding from my viewpoint and I would love to hear the recordings you made of Dire Straits one day too as I'm also a big fan of Mark Knopfler. 

5 hours ago, JimCT said:

But if I got in good position, the clarity of the recording with the little Sony microphone is really pretty good - you all have heard the results, so judge for yourself

Fascinating insight into the technical challenges of a taper. Out of interest, did you play back some of your recordings from night 1 or 2 at Wembley in ‘85 and make any adjustments to your taping strategy for night 2 or 3? 

35 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Fascinating insight into the technical challenges of a taper. Out of interest, did you play back some of your recordings from night 1 or 2 at Wembley in ‘85 and make any adjustments to your taping strategy for night 2 or 3? 

Not that I recall. If I remember, I was pretty happy with night 1, and repeating that would have been good. Tomorrow I'll let you know how I did ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimCT said:

Not that I recall. If I remember, I was pretty happy with night 1, and repeating that would have been good. Tomorrow I'll let you know how I did ;) 

So now it is tomorrow from yesterday, 6 July, 36 years after that memorable show. As was mentioned earlier, the weather for the entire stand was about as perfect as it could be. The final show started a couple of hours earlier, which allowed me to then go across to the arena and scalp for Dire Straits afterwards. But first, Bruce. Minor setlist changes, notably Highway Patrolman and Downbound Train in and Darkness and Prove It out. And "this one's especially for London," Street Fighting Man in the encores, the last time Bruce has played this. Steve again for the encores, "We got the whole band with us here in London this time."

Here is the remaster, in both 16/44 and 24/96. I'm told that it is a significant improvement on the prior sources in circulation, that from someone who was there for his first show. Those tend to be people with a special interest in the recordings, as first shows are so memorable, so I trust the comment. As with all my recordings, my hope is that is it good enough to bring back the experience of being there for those lucky enough to have been there the first time. Or to give a new listener the sense of what that show was like, capturing the performance and the crowd so that, if you close your eyes and listen, you will feel like you are there in the moment.

Hrubesh used his considerable skills to bring this recording to life, so if you like it praise him, and please do so publicly here - all I did was make the initial raw recording. He also did the artwork in the downloads, which really POPS! We also had the benefit of hobbes4444 here in the US doing the transfers of my masters to raw digital files, so that the tapes themselves didn't have to endure international travel and various postal organizations. My deep thanks to both of them for their efforts in making this possible. I sat on these recordings long enough - I'm glad they are free for everyone to enjoy!

16/44 - https://mega.nz/folder/a9JHiKoL#sr_1GTtOWDCKLzB6IxCtpg

24/96 - https://mega.nz/folder/nhJUzLZa#VYDjbIsZG98DMIpGp_WV2w

Just a sample of the artwork

616511487_ART01-front.thumb.jpg.1ae162352d47f8bf1aa6728d33083ef0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

So now it is tomorrow from yesterday, 6 July, 36 years after that memorable show. As was mentioned earlier, the weather for the entire stand was about as perfect as it could be. The final show started a couple of hours earlier, which allowed me to then go across to the arena and scalp for Dire Straits afterwards. But first, Bruce. Minor setlist changes, notably Highway Patrolman and Downbound Train in and Darkness and Prove It out. And "this one's especially for London," Street Fighting Man in the encores, the last time Bruce has played this. Steve again for the encores, "We got the whole band with us here in London this time."

Here is the remaster, in both 16/44 and 24/96. I'm told that it is a significant improvement on the prior sources in circulation, that from someone who was there for his first show. Those tend to be people with a special interest in the recordings, as first shows are so memorable, so I trust the comment. As with all my recordings, my hope is that is it good enough to bring back the experience of being there for those lucky enough to have been there the first time. Or to give a new listener the sense of what that show was like, capturing the performance and the crowd so that, if you close your eyes and listen, you will feel like you are there in the moment.

Hrubesh used his considerable skills to bring this recording to life, so if you like it praise him, and please do so publicly here - all I did was make the initial raw recording. He also did the artwork in the downloads, which really POPS! We also had the benefit of hobbes4444 here in the US doing the transfers of my masters to raw digital files, so that the tapes themselves didn't have to endure international travel and various postal organizations. My deep thanks to both of them for their efforts in making this possible. I sat on these recordings long enough - I'm glad they are free for everyone to enjoy!

Wonderful Jim, what a treat. And thanks so much to Hrubesh for doing such a remarkable job with the remastering. 

I’m working from home today on this 36th anniversary and playing the 24/96 download on my Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless. The sound is fantastic and it feels like I’m back there at the show. 

Listening right now to the wonderful fan interaction during Glory Days where the crowd continue to repeat what Bruce says to the point where it’s real banter from Bruce on stage to the fans on the floor. I remember it so well at the time and it’s just brilliant to re-live it again. I just hope I’m still playing this in another 14 years time on its 50th anniversary. Thank you Jim and Hrubesh. Magnificent job! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim, as a part-time taper (no, never attempted Bruce, others are much better!), I love hearing your stories about the travel and the taping process as much as those about the show. They've been fascinating. Love the remastered releases, they really pop out. On a cloudy day in London this afternoon they're just the tonic!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimCT said:

Wow, this is fantastic!   Great sound and great to hear the stories.    Thanks.

Will the July 4th show being coming as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, carbo56 said:

Wow, this is fantastic!   Great sound and great to hear the stories.    Thanks.

Will the July 4th show being coming as well?

7/4 is proving to be more difficult, due to inconsistencies in the recording. That means that what works best in one place doesn't in another. Harder.

33 minutes ago, JimCT said:

7/4 is proving to be more difficult, due to inconsistencies in the recording. That means that what works best in one place doesn't in another. Harder.

I guess the consolation for fans generally is that the Crystal Cat and earlier released vinyl pressed recording of the 4th July show is by far the best of the existing sources which are in circulation from the Wembley stand, up until now that is. So if you had to encounter any inconsistencies with your recordings then it’s perhaps better that it wasn’t the case on the 3rd or the 6th, as the upgrade in quality to what was available before is so vast. 

1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I guess the consolation for fans generally is that the Crystal Cat and earlier released vinyl pressed recording of the 4th July show is by far the best of the existing sources which are in circulation from that night. So if you had to encounter any inconsistencies with your recordings then it’s great that it wasn’t the case on the 3rd or the 6th, as the upgrade in quality is so vast. 

I sense (without doing deep audio research) that CC "process" the raw recordings more. What stands out to me in mine of 7/3 and 7/6 is the separation of the instruments, and the vocals - getting the separate fills of Nils and Patti and even Clarence so clearly, and especially the two guitars and Roy's piano - that River is luxurious, to my ear. It's the same in my November '84 recordings. We're trying to maintain that, and keep the vocal clarity, yet improve on other areas. It's not a race :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I sense (without doing deep audio research) that CC "process" the raw recordings more. What stands out to me in mine of 7/3 and 7/6 is the separation of the instruments, and the vocals - getting the separate fills of Nils and Patti and even Clarence so clearly, and especially the two guitars and Roy's piano - that River is luxurious, to my ear. It's the same in my November '84 recordings. We're trying to maintain that, and keep the vocal clarity, yet improve on other areas. It's not a race :)

Absolutely. These recordings sound wonderful. To be honest I had lost my love of audience boots in recent years since being spoiled by the multi track archive releases, but your Wembley recordings have made me rediscover the feeling that only a boot of this quality can give you. Being right there at the show, in the moment. Loving it. 

• Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, JimCT said:

Ah, so fantastic, more goodies from @JimCT 

And of course, many thanks to hrubesh and Hobbes4444 for their efforts to get this final product to us

Looks like today is gonna be a great Bruce day!

• Like 2

Jim, big question. Do you know who has the original tapes of the Vietnam Vets show, and could they be improved upon by hrubesh given the more recent software?

9 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Jim, big question. Do you know who has the original tapes of the Vietnam Vets show, and could they be improved upon by hrubesh given the more recent software?

As far as I know Mark Persic was the only recorder that bootlegs of the Vietnam Vets show trace back to. I think the EV2 remaster "As Dreams Don't Mean Nothin'" is the best we have, and probably going to get. I've said repeatedly that I wish Bruce would allow 2 track soundboards out - "2 tracks can get the job done" - but so far I'm shouting into the wind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JimCT said:

As far as I know Mark Persic was the only recorder that bootlegs of the Vietnam Vets show trace back to. I think the EV2 remaster "As Dreams Don't Mean Nothin'" is the best we have, and probably going to get. I've said repeatedly that I wish Bruce would allow 2 track soundboards out - "2 tracks can get the job done" - but so far I'm shouting into the wind.

Not sure how much legitimacy there is to it. But JEMS mentioned off hand that Mike Millard taped another show at the LA 81 stand that was (paraphrasing here) "recorded much better by Mark Persic".

They released the 8/23 show, I secretly hope there is a Millard Vets tape out there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimCT said:

Also, it’s incredible what extra benefit the 24/96 version gives in terms of space and room for the instrument separation. An HD version of an audience recording would seem to be pointless but not so here, as it gives more room for the remastering effect to really enhance the original raw recording. Because The Night is a great example of 24/96 sound on the 6th July link. It’s the best audience capture I’ve ever heard of that song. 

And that subtle piano in I can’t help falling in love with you. Just gorgeous. The whole thing is a work of art. 

• Love Love Love! 1

Finishing up the show now, I'm truly impressed at how much of an upgrade this is over existing tapes (Wembley Belongs to Us and the Alt Tape). Cover Me into Dancing is one of the best I've heard.

Reminds me of your Tempe 84 tape from a little bit ago, quality wise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went on the Saturday, id heard Bruce was coming many months before and I think the original announcement didnt have the Friday and Saturday shows. In those days most recordshop/ticket outlets didnt have the Bruce tickets, when they were announced. So I wrote to Harvey Goldmsith Entertainments in London sending a cheque (assume the price must have been announced or a I just guessed ) and a stamped address envelope, how times have changed ! Some weeks went by and I had heard nothing. Then one day my envelope arrived with my writing on the front and inside two tickets to the Saturday show. I hadn't even realised they had added extra shows, 

I stayed over in London on the Friday watching the rain at Wimbledon on TV..worst rain ever apparently. On Saturday arrived at Wembley early and when the gates opened charged as fast as I could to get near as possible to the front. I then spent the next 6 hours or so either with my hands up in the air or down by my side. It was rammed on the pitch and I never moved from my spot. Leaving London late in the evening i was so exhilarated by the gig If id had a ticket id have cheerfully drove to Roundhay park the next day and done it all over again. Sadly I went home and slept !!  thanks for the audio im going to sit and listen and bring back some more memories

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, cartesr said:

I went on the Saturday, id heard Bruce was coming many months before and I think the original announcement didnt have the Friday and Saturday shows. In those days most recordshop/ticket outlets didnt have the Bruce tickets, when they were announced. So I wrote to Harvey Goldmsith Entertainments in London sending a cheque (assume the price must have been announced or a I just guessed ) and a stamped address envelope, how times have changed ! Some weeks went by and I had heard nothing. Then one day my envelope arrived with my writing on the front and inside two tickets to the Saturday show. I hadn't even realised they had added extra shows, 

I stayed over in London on the Friday watching the rain at Wimbledon on TV..worst rain ever apparently. On Saturday arrived at Wembley early and when the gates opened charged as fast as I could to get near as possible to the front. I then spent the next 6 hours or so either with my hands up in the air or down by my side. It was rammed on the pitch and I never moved from my spot. Leaving London late in the evening i was so exhilarated by the gig If id had a ticket id have cheerfully drove to Roundhay park the next day and done it all over again. Sadly I went home and slept !!  thanks for the audio im going to sit and listen and bring back some more memories

You'll laugh, but each show at the break between sets I was able to leave my spot on the pitch, go out and get to the loo, get a beverage, and get back to the exact same spot before the 2d set started. One day I even returned with a pint of lager for one of my new friends around me. They confessed that when I left they said they'd never see me again. Skills developed in NYC crowds put to new uses :D 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JimCT said:

I've said repeatedly that I wish Bruce would allow 2 track soundboards out - "2 tracks can get the job done" - but so far I'm shouting into the wind.

It will happen eventually, I believe it. When they run out of the multi-track tapes they'll do it. Honestly I wish they would do it now and stop obsessing over the multi-track stuff - the soundboards are what the concerts actually sounded like! Give me that over a questionably-polished multi-track any day. 

On 7/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, JimCT said:

Quick almost off topic - how did the Dire Straits taping go? Any chance of releasing them please