Greasy Lake Community

Wembley '85

14 minutes ago, nickscr said:

Quick almost off topic - how did the Dire Straits taping go? Any chance of releasing them please 

Those have been retrieved from the vault and put in the queue. No schedule as of now. Lots came out of the vault. 
I will say the transferrer asked if I really went to Bruce in the afternoon and DS that night, so 5 shows in 4 days, when he first saw the dates. When I confirmed that, along with the 4 G-Dead shows in 5 nights preceding that, his reply was simply, “Wow.” :D 

• Like 1

I loved Dire Straits ever since the Brothers In Arms album and had I been a few years older I would have known about the show happening on the same day and I would have definitely gone to the show after Bruce, even through a ticket tout. In my world that would have been the best day of live music ever and could never be bettered. Certainly nothing Live Aid the following Saturday could have competed with. 

It’s incredible to think that Bruce played a 3 hour concert in the afternoon which enabled some lucky fans to see both concerts. 

Setlist: 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dire-straits/1985/wembley-arena-london-england-4bd8fbaa.html

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I loved Dire Straits ever since the Brothers In Arms album and had I been a few years older I would have known about the show happening on the same day and I would have definitely gone to the show after Bruce, even through a ticket tout. In my world that would have been the best day of live music ever and could never be bettered. Certainly nothing Live Aid the following Saturday could have competed with. 

It’s incredible to think that Bruce played a 3 hour concert in the afternoon which enabled some lucky fans to see both concerts. 

Setlist: 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dire-straits/1985/wembley-arena-london-england-4bd8fbaa.html

I scalped a ticket for not much over face value both days, in the plaza outside the arena right before the show. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

21 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Also, it’s incredible what extra benefit the 24/96 version gives in terms of space and room for the instrument separation. An HD version of an audience recording would seem to be pointless but not so here, as it gives more room for the remastering effect to really enhance the original raw recording. Because The Night is a great example of 24/96 sound on the 6th July link. It’s the best audience capture I’ve ever heard of that song. 

And that subtle piano in I can’t help falling in love with you. Just gorgeous. The whole thing is a work of art. 

Bruce turned Nils lose on the BTN solo these shows. Smokin' hot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Setlist: 

That sounds like a great concert, Brothers in Arms is one of my favorite albums and this show is heavy on the material from that album

Wow, Jim. Finally got to listen to a bit of your recordings and what can I say? Amazing and thanks for sharing, that's all I can come up with.

I'll end up sharing this with some offline friends and family and I get to pull out my special brag "I know the guy who made this recording, pretty cool right?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

Wow, Jim. Finally got to listen to a bit of your recordings and what can I say? Amazing and thanks for sharing, that's all I can come up with.

I'll end up sharing this with some offline friends and family and I get to pull out my special brag "I know the guy who made this recording, pretty cool right?"

You can do better than that: "I've known him since I was in HS."

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

You can do better than that: "I've known him since I was in HS."

How can something feel like a lifetime ago and just last week at the same time?

9 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

Just wait young Hero - someday very soon you will be saying something like "How can my 30th high school reunion be this year?"  or "We have been married 2/3 of my life" and you STILL won't feel old yet

38 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

On Letterman one night Dave asked Jerry Garcia something like this: “You guys play hundreds, thousands of shows. How do you keep it fresh over the years.” Jerry smiled and said, “Wholesale short-term memory loss.” :D :D :D 

On 7/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, JimCT said:

Those have been retrieved from the vault and put in the queue. No schedule as of now. Lots came out of the vault. 

Did you tape other European Bruce shows over the years then Jim? 

4 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Did you tape other European Bruce shows over the years then Jim? 

No, London was my only trip. Sweden, Spain, Italy - bucket list.

5 minutes ago, JimCT said:

No, London was my only trip. Sweden, Spain, Italy - bucket list.

Having seen Bruce in Sweden, Spain and Italy a few times amongst 11 different countries, I can without any doubt say that they are by far the best 3 for a Bruce concert atmosphere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Having seen Bruce in Sweden, Spain and Italy a few times amongst 11 different countries, I can without any doubt say that they are by far the best 3 for a Bruce concert atmosphere. 

I could see Spain and Italy but I wouldn’t have guessed Sweden as a top 3 Bruce audience 

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

I could see Spain and Italy but I wouldn’t have guessed Sweden as a top 3 Bruce audience 

Honestly just going off stories people tell, plus listening to live stuff, Sweden might be number 1. 

The San Siro & the Ullevi  IMHO are best places to Bruce & the band. Have been fortunate enough to see them in most of the hot spots.  San Siro just comes out on top for me 

@JimCT.  Just listened to the Wembley 6th July upgrade ^.  Wow!  Your original was quality, but this new one is tremendous.  Thanks so much. Particularly impressed with Highway Patrolman (best song of the whole three night stand, for me).

I've always said that night three was the best show and this confirms it.  Even with the added drama of the nutter climbing the scaffolding during DITD :lol:.

As a slight aside, Patti was great on the BITUSA tour.  She never over sings, never tries to compete and is used perfectly when required.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, audelish70 said:

After London '85 you taped the last Giants Stadium '85 show. ¿Did you record other shows of this stand?

Yes - 8/18, 21, and 31. For all of those I was generally in the 100's seats, so off the floor, usually about in the middle of the section between the front and the rear, and between halfway back in the stadium to 3/4 of the way back. Decent tapes for an outdoor stadium (9/1 is representative), not as good as London IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

@JimCT.  Just listened to the Wembley 6th July upgrade ^.  Wow!  Your original was quality, but this new one is tremendous.  Thanks so much. Particularly impressed with Highway Patrolman (best song of the whole three night stand, for me).

I've always said that night three was the best show and this confirms it.  Even with the added drama of the nutter climbing the scaffolding during DITD :lol:.

As a slight aside, Patti was great on the BITUSA tour.  She never over sings, never tries to compete and is used perfectly when required.

As I've said before, I just made the raw recording. Hrubesh really made it come alive. Praise his work, not just my recording.

I'm very grateful to all the folks involved in getting me to pull these out of the vault and introducing me to the others involved in this project. I couldn't have done it myself - that's why they sat in the vault for so long. Thanks to all the others involved, now this project is started, and everyone gets to listen to the result. I'm very happy that the recordings are getting to the fans, finally.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

7 minutes ago, JimCT said:

As I've said before, I just made the raw recording. Hrubesh really made it come alive. Praise his work, not just my recording.

I'm very grateful to all the folks involved in getting me to pull these out of the vault and introducing me to the others involved in this project. I couldn't have done it myself - that's why they sat in the vault for so long. Thanks to all the others involved, now this project is started, and everyone gets to listen to the result. I'm very happy that the recordings are getting to the fans, finally.

In which case, big thanks to Hrubesh for all the hard work.  Winner.:)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Glad others agree how fabulous this 6th July remaster is. Am biased due to being there but it’s now my undisputed all time favourite audience recording. It made me feel like an excited kid again.

I still remember going to bed after the show with my ears ringing, and that glow of having just witnessed something truly great. I felt as close to that feeling again this week than I ever thought could be possible. I genuinely don’t think even a nugs multi track release could have been more enjoyable to listen to than the joy this recording brings. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

28 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Glad others agree how fabulous this 6th July remaster is. Am biased due to being there but it’s now my undisputed all time favourite audience recording. It made me feel like an excited kid again.

I still remember going to bed after the show with my ears ringing, and that glow of having just witnessed something truly great. I felt as close to that feeling again this week than I ever thought could be possible. I genuinely don’t think even a nugs multi track release could have been more enjoyable to listen to than the joy this recording brings. 

Yes. The crowd on this new recording are particularly brilliant. They're captured brilliantly.

• Like 1