Greasy Lake Community

Wembley '85

On 7/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, JimCT said:

finally, hrubesh has applied his wonderful skills to my 7/3 recording - enjoy! link will stay active for a week ;)

1985-07-03 London, UK (JimCT Master Tape) 

https://mega.nz/folder/Dwg0AbZB#eO3QYs8ETNMnoFOw9aCOQQ

For more information regarding this boot, visit Brucebase: http://brucebase.wikidot.com/1985#030785

Thanks, wonderful atmosferic recording. Not mentioned yet in this topic but Wembley 7/3 was the debut of Seeds. I am still mystified how that beast of a song turned up so late in this all conquering world tour.  It even got a paragraph in the Dave Marsh biography:

"Four songs into the first set, Bruce pulled his first surprise. Over a chunky boogie beat—like slowed-down ZZ Top—Bruce shouted a stentorian introduction. Because he’d just finished the hard opening push through “Born in the U.S.A.,” “Badlands,” and “Out in the Street,” he was winded and almost panting. The reckless energy with which he paced and hollered despite that suggested anxiety, and his pauses appeared to be those of a man having trouble suppressing his anger. If he was just acting, it was the best job he’d ever done. “When we were on the first part of our American tour, we were down in Texas,” he said, and gulped for air. “Down there you saw a lotta folks that had come down from up north—outta Detroit, Pittsburgh. They’d gone down south lookin’ for some work in the oil field and on oil rigs, and when they got down there the price of oil dropped. There wasn’t no jobs. “They’d end up sleepin’ in tents out on the side of the highway… sleepin’ in their cars at night, with their wives and their kids…with no work or no place to go [pause] and the cops just tellin’ ’em to move along. This is called ‘Seeds.’”The music lumbered into gear, a great roar of synthesized brass and nasty guitar, as Springsteen spat out the lyrics in a leather-lunged voice. This was a song of a man hurt to the quick, not the “wounded not even dead” of “Jungleland,” but the discarded, left for dead of real life, and not just life in Houston,Pittsburgh, and Detroit, but all over. It was a song that would have been well understood in Newcastle or, for that matter, in Dublin and Milan, industrial cities that had also suffered the ravages of Seventies “recession” and the false prosperity of the Eighties. The music had a spare, surging power that Springsteen had rarely commanded before, based in the blues, not soul. And what could be heard of the lyrics was as completely vernacular as anything he’d ever written. In words and music, Springsteen had become that freezing migratory worker and his onstage demeanor captured the restless, furious passion of a man cheated not just of a dream but of the very staples of life. He ended with a curse and a warning, vowing that if he “could spare the spit,” he’d gob at every limousine that passed him by, suggesting that anybody tempted to follow in his footsteps was “better off buyin’ a shotgun straight off the rack.” When Springsteen shouted the final line—“Movin’ on, movin’ on/It’s gone, gone, it’s all gone”—he wasn’t idly echoing fifty years of highway blues; this was “Johnny 99” for real."

(Note I always wondered why Dave Marsh could have such detailed write ups already in 1986 when the Glory Days version was published, did he had access to (soundboard) tapes?)

• Like 1

My favorite part of the 7/3 show is The River: "this is a song, I guess this is, uh, everybody needs some place to go on those nights when they can´t go home….”

After all those years, the BIUSA River version is always the version I keep coming back to. No wonder this tour version was at the heart of the Live 1975-85 box. What this tour version makes real special is the crystal clear piano sound. This was the very last tour where a real acoustic piano was used. In the "Music Maker" magazine from august 1985, technical redactor Peter Vos through sound engineer Bruce Jackson had all access to go into great detail of the technical side regarding whole sound set up during the 2 Rotterdam 1985 concerts. This is the small part in the 11(!) page article about the piano:

"The grand piano is reinforced with the Helpinstill elements. But different. Helpinstill has made a special unit for the E-Street Band. The whole consists of two electromagnetic elements mounted on the frame under the strings. Each element runs the full width of the grand piano and is divided into 8 sections, each mixed together via a separate mixing desk. One element picks up the sound at 1/3 string length and the other at 1/6 of the string length. By sending those two signals via PA left and PA right respectively, you get a full and wide sound (of course after being treated by some more effects). The pickups work like a humbucking guitar pickup, but a lot of attention has been paid to the tone and not to get too much signal"

• Love Love Love! 2

Allowing for a few off-topic posts, as is the norm for any thread, four pages dedicated to an audience bootleg remaster is all the credit that Jim, Hrubesh and Hobbes4444 deserve for their time and dedication to this project.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

My favorite part of the 7/3 show is The River: "this is a song, I guess this is, uh, everybody needs some place to go on those nights when they can´t go home….”

After all those years, the BIUSA River version is always the version I keep coming back to. No wonder this tour version was at the heart of the Live 1975-85 box. What this tour version makes real special is the crystal clear piano sound. This was the very last tour where a real acoustic piano was used. In the "Music Maker" magazine from august 1985, technical redactor Peter Vos through sound engineer Bruce Jackson had all access to go into great detail of the technical side regarding whole sound set up during the 2 Rotterdam 1985 concerts. This is the small part in the 11(!) page article about the piano:

"The grand piano is reinforced with the Helpinstill elements. But different. Helpinstill has made a special unit for the E-Street Band. The whole consists of two electromagnetic elements mounted on the frame under the strings. Each element runs the full width of the grand piano and is divided into 8 sections, each mixed together via a separate mixing desk. One element picks up the sound at 1/3 string length and the other at 1/6 of the string length. By sending those two signals via PA left and PA right respectively, you get a full and wide sound (of course after being treated by some more effects). The pickups work like a humbucking guitar pickup, but a lot of attention has been paid to the tone and not to get too much signal"

I agree, it is a wonderful performance of this song.

23 hours ago, JimCT said:

Yes - 8/18, 21, and 31. For all of those I was generally in the 100's seats, so off the floor, usually about in the middle of the section between the front and the rear, and between halfway back in the stadium to 3/4 of the way back. Decent tapes for an outdoor stadium (9/1 is representative), not as good as London IMO.

Do you plan to release them in near future? Especially from 8/21 there are not good recordings out there.

11 minutes ago, audelish70 said:

Do you plan to release them in near future? Especially from 8/21 there are not good recordings out there.

Retrieved from the vault and in the queue. I hand-delivered these shows to someone down here who volunteered to do the transfers - with ~140 or so tapes it was necessary to divide the tasks. Not sure where those transfers to digital stand, only then can the remastering process begin, and there's a lot in that queue as well. This is a labor of love, not a commercial endeavor, so patience is the password.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, nickscr said:

Quick almost off topic - how did the Dire Straits taping go? Any chance of releasing them please 

On 7/7/2021 at 1:27 PM, JimCT said:

Those have been retrieved from the vault and put in the queue. No schedule as of now. Lots came out of the vault. 
I will say the transferrer asked if I really went to Bruce in the afternoon and DS that night, so 5 shows in 4 days, when he first saw the dates. When I confirmed that, along with the 4 G-Dead shows in 5 nights preceding that, his reply was simply, “Wow.” :D 

Got a first pass on the transfers - I haven't listened to this in forever!

Cut out Romeo and Juliet, applied a little EQ - I don't have the software or experience of those experts who will work on this, but it's a decent impression of what the potential is. Thoughts?

1820372144_DS1985-07-05WembleyRJ.flac

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Got a first pass on the transfers - I haven't listened to this in forever!

Cut out Romeo and Juliet, applied a little EQ - I don't have the software or experience of those experts who will work on this, but it's a decent impression of what the potential is. Thoughts?

1820372144_DS1985-07-05WembleyRJ.flac 223.44 MB · 0 downloads

I feel like there could definitely be some volume adjustments necessary. The verses sound fine but when it chorus comes in (especially around 1:51 "the dice was loaded from the start") it gets uncomfortably loud IMO. I'm not sure if it was like that live or not. 

Wow - I'm at work (as is usually the case when I'm on the Lake - but it's my own business so hey! ha!) and I'm late to this thread but itching to get home now and download these boots (hopefully links still live). First of all what a great story - excellent stuff - they were indeed 3 great nights at Wembley, what a buzz that week was - I was also at Live Aid the week after but was still on a Bruce high (and bemoaning the dreadful sound at Live Aid in comparison).

I've always loved the CC recording of 4/7/85 (much prefer to the Nugs release from LA for capturing what it was like to "be there") so I'm really looking forward to what sounds like quality recordings of the other nights (especially Sat 6th) - thanks in advance to those concerned, cheers!

P.S. I don't know how I missed the opportunity to wander across the car park and try for Dire Straits (ball dropped) I actually don't think I knew they were playing (although, as is often the case for me, I usually have a car full of other people as I up and down the 110 mile journey to London with my braces caught on a lampost somewhere around Cambridge!) - reminds me of a couple of years ago now going to see Bad Company (reformed) at the O2 in London (BluesFest) and when the show finished at almost 11pm coming out of the main arena and in to the Indigo O2 (smaller venue) where Little Steve and the DOS were taking to the stage around midnight - driving home after - back down the next night for Jeff Beck and Van Morrison and Little Steven and Ritchie Sambora (who had been support for Bad Company) sitting 2 rows in front of me - they were literally front row - for about 30 mins of Van's set and Steven filming bits of it on his phone like an excited kid!   

This was them backstage:

1383285681_vanbackstage.thumb.jpg.a5a4a29dad281391a01e06abfefabaa9.jpgimage.thumb.png.956ee1598f37e740e0ec864084a00243.png2588494_vanbackstage.thumb.jpg.6d7ae0bd3e949b2d9e3785b72af9364d.jpg

• Love Love Love! 1

45 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Wow - I'm at work (as is usually the case when I'm on the Lake - but it's my own business so hey! ha!) and I'm late to this thread but itching to get home now and download these boots (hopefully links still live). First of all what a great story - excellent stuff - they were indeed 3 great nights at Wembley, what a buzz that week was - I was also at Live Aid the week after but was still on a Bruce high (and bemoaning the dreadful sound at Live Aid in comparison).

I've always loved the CC recording of 4/7/85 (much prefer to the Nugs release from LA for capturing what it was like to "be there") so I'm really looking forward to what sounds like quality recordings of the other nights (especially Sat 6th) - thanks in advance to those concerned, cheers!

P.S. I don't know how I missed the opportunity to wander across the car park and try for Dire Straits (ball dropped) I actually don't think I knew they were playing (although, as is often the case for me, I usually have a car full of other people as I up and down the 110 mile journey to London with my braces caught on a lampost somewhere around Cambridge!) - reminds me of a couple of years ago now going to see Bad Company (reformed) at the O2 in London (BluesFest) and when the show finished at almost 11pm coming out of the main arena and in to the Indigo O2 (smaller venue) where Little Steve and the DOS were taking to the stage around midnight - driving home after - back down the next night for Jeff Beck and Van Morrison and Little Steven and Ritchie Sambora (who had been support for Bad Company) sitting 2 rows in front of me - they were literally front row - for about 30 mins of Van's set and Steven filming bits of it on his phone like an excited kid!   

This was them backstage:

1383285681_vanbackstage.thumb.jpg.a5a4a29dad281391a01e06abfefabaa9.jpgimage.thumb.png.956ee1598f37e740e0ec864084a00243.png2588494_vanbackstage.thumb.jpg.6d7ae0bd3e949b2d9e3785b72af9364d.jpg

I checked to make sure the links were still active. I’ll give them another 24 hours. ;)

5 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I checked to make sure the links were still active. I’ll give them another 24 hours. ;)

Many thanks Jim - very much appreciated, cheers - and again WELL DONE to ALL involved (and great story!)

On 7/12/2021 at 4:20 AM, lilbud said:

I feel like there could definitely be some volume adjustments necessary. The verses sound fine but when it chorus comes in (especially around 1:51 "the dice was loaded from the start") it gets uncomfortably loud IMO. I'm not sure if it was like that live or not. 

Great sounds, I've seen knopfler live and at times in this the volume does rocket in the choruses 

• Love Love Love! 1

14 hours ago, nickscr said:

Great sounds, I've seen knopfler live and at times in this the volume does rocket in the choruses 

I agree. I've seen Mark 8 times between 2001-2019.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, MARTIN LEICESTER said:

Great recordings of both Wembley shows, thanks for sharing, any idea roughly when the 4 July show will be available, hoping it's better than what's already out there. That was the only night of the stand I went to

Any chance of an answer to this question please ?

On 7/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, MARTIN LEICESTER said:

Great recordings of both Wembley shows, thanks for sharing, any idea roughly when the 4 July show will be available, hoping it's better than what's already out there. That was the only night of the stand I went to

3 minutes ago, MARTIN LEICESTER said:

Any chance of an answer to this question please ?

No definitive timetable. It’s a work in progress, closing in on completion but not yet ready. My raw sources present challenges in the remastering, challenges that the others did not have. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, off99 said:

For what reason did most European shows in 1985 start at 6pm ?

If I had to guess re London, it was to ensure the audience had time to get home before the Underground shut down for the night. That could explain the Wednesday and Thursday shows, but not Saturday as that started at 4p. Earlier in the thread IIRC someone mentioned the control of the local council over event specifics. As for other countries/cities, IDK.

5 hours ago, JimCT said:

If I had to guess re London, it was to ensure the audience had time to get home before the Underground shut down for the night. That could explain the Wednesday and Thursday shows, but not Saturday as that started at 4p. Earlier in the thread IIRC someone mentioned the control of the local council over event specifics. As for other countries/cities, IDK.

I think that they started at 4pm on Saturday at Wembley was due to them starting at 4pm at Roundhay Park in Leeds on the Sunday. I went to that one and it was odd having a concert finish so early and in broad daylight. I was at the Wembley show on 4th July and was still blown away by that when I was at Leeds and didn't think that it was as good which was probably due to the atmosphere lacking compared to Wembley. The set list at Leeds was great but Wembley was just on a different level. 

On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, off99 said:

If I remember correctly Wembley had a strict 10.30 curfew. It was the same in 1985 for Live Aid. Twickenham is the same to keep on the right side of local residents.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, JimCT said:
On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, off99 said:

Yeah the tubes to take the crowd away was certainly a factor (they always used to lay on extra trains) and as others have pointed out there is the curfew (loacl residents) and there was also a sound/volume limit in play and I did read that Bruce knowingly broke that and happily paid the £80K fine! (along with poor sound "anyway" the lack of volume did impact Live Aid which I was also at, having done all 3 Bruce shows the week before). The reason for the even earlier start on the Sat as I understand it was so that the roadies could take the stage down and drive through the night to Leeds to set it up for the show the next day in Roundhay Park!  Glory Days!!! 

I used to have the 4th July show in vinyl (see pics below) but I sold it when I stopped playing vinyl and no longer kept a turntable. The recording was very good indeed, but still nowhere near as good as Jim’s 6th July remaster. 
It was a 5 vinyl set including a bonus 7” which had Highway Patrolman and Street Fighting Man on it from the 6th July show. 
The photos on the back of the vinyl cover sleeve are mainly from the 6th though (Bruce wore a blue sleeveless shirt in the first set, and a red sleeveless shirt in the second set on the Saturday). I’ve got loads of A4 sized photos which I bought from Pete Still who was one of the main professional photographers by the stage. 

As far as I’m aware, Bruce wore different shirts on 3rd and 4th (and I’m guessing he again changed shirt for the second half of the show from Cover Me onwards). Never seen many photos from the 3rd and 4th nights actually. 

8644976C-4110-4361-82E9-A548EAE05A49.jpeg

7FF1A780-651C-446A-93AA-5EE931F1BA53.jpeg

A73B37C0-3CFE-429C-9089-E508D694F32C.jpeg

• Love Love Love! 2

55 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I used to have the 4th July show in vinyl (see pics below) but I sold it when I stopped playing vinyl and no longer kept a turntable. The recording was very good indeed, but still nowhere near as good as Jim’s 6th July remaster. 
It was a 5 vinyl set including a bonus 7” which had Highway Patrolman and Street Fighting Man on it from the 6th July show. 
The photos on the back of the vinyl cover sleeve are mainly from the 6th though (Bruce wore a blue sleeveless shirt in the first set, and a red sleeveless shirt in the second set on the Saturday). I’ve got loads of A4 sized photos which I bought from Pete Still who was one of the main professional photographers by the stage. 

As far as I’m aware, Bruce wore different shirts on 3rd and 4th (and I’m guessing he again changed shirt for the second half of the show from Cover Me onwards). Never seen many photos from the 3rd and 4th nights actually. 

8644976C-4110-4361-82E9-A548EAE05A49.jpeg

7FF1A780-651C-446A-93AA-5EE931F1BA53.jpeg

A73B37C0-3CFE-429C-9089-E508D694F32C.jpeg

I too had that vinyl back in the day. I got mine signed by Nils and Max when Max came on tour with Nils once - when I handed it to Max he was looking at it front and back and then said to me "Is this a bootleg!?" - to which I responded "Yeah - is it a problem?" to which he replied "No, no - just haven't seen this one before!" - they both signed it "big" - I think I traded it in the end for "credit" with Badlands (and bought a few other shows on CD instead - having taped it first on to cassette of course...........aah those were the days, the cassette player in the car!).

• Like 1