Greasy Lake Community

Wembley '85

To get this right:

3rd of July, white striped shirt (first set), what about the 2nd set?

2026135498_Wembley3thofjuly_b.jpg.png.993d7fad249f6f2a6222ee96b263a637.png

4th of July, blue t-shirt (first set), sleeve less red striped shirt (2nd set)1875401863_Wembley4thofjuly_2.jpg.98ea7cc2bb84335508c2294edd8542a1.jpg

6th of July, sleeveless jeans shirt (1st set), kannibalised grey sweather (2nd set)

218937228_Wembley6thofjuly.jpg.edf291bce37722550ebbda9ed6fbf0ae.jpg

• Like 1

Did I imagine it, or did Bruce say (on the first night) that he got his haircut the previous day in London?

I know it's a trivial point, but these things keep me up at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Did I imagine it, or did Bruce say (on the first night) that he got his haircut the previous day in London?

I know it's a trivial point, but these things keep me up at night.

He definitely had a hair cut prior to Wembley. His hair was much longer at Paris just a few days earlier (wore a headband to hold it back, which thankfully was absent at Wembley). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

He definitely had a hair cut prior to Wembley. His hair was much longer at Paris just a few days earlier (wore a headband to hold it back, which thankfully was absent at Wembley). 

Good point about the bandana. I've never watched the Toronto DVD for that very reason. Mind you, Knopfler looked more ridiculous when he did it.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

8644976C-4110-4361-82E9-A548EAE05A49.jpeg

7FF1A780-651C-446A-93AA-5EE931F1BA53.jpeg

A73B37C0-3CFE-429C-9089-E508D694F32C.jpeg

An update to this story. I gave this vinyl bootleg set to Mark Wright back in 1988 and he has kept it all these years and is happy to give it back to me this month as I’m planning to get a turntable again for the first time in decades. 

It got me thinking, when was the last vinyl bootleg issued. Or are they still made to this day? I could only imagine the beauty of Jim’s new Wembley 1985-07-06 remaster being pressed to vinyl as a limited edition release! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

An update to this story. I gave this vinyl bootleg set to Mark Wright back in 1988 and he has kept it all these years and is happy to give it back to me this month as I’m planning to get a turntable again for the first time in decades. 

It got me thinking, when was the last vinyl bootleg issued. Or are they still made to this day? I could only imagine the beauty of Jim’s new Wembley 1985-07-06 remaster being pressed to vinyl as a limited edition release! 

They're still being issued fairly regularly. There was a stunning BITUSA outtakes set issued a while back. Also, The Ties That Bind is available on vinyl in a lovely g/f package.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

It got me thinking, when was the last vinyl bootleg issued. Or are they still made to this day? 

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

They're still being issued fairly regularly. There was a stunning BITUSA outtakes set issued a while back. 

Also, recenty a WIESS-era outtakes 4LP box.

Longer ago an LP box (I think it was 5LP's) from the show in Firenze 2012. Coloured vinyl too if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 2:02 PM, Promise61 said:

YES - definitely remember him mentioning the haircut (and the walk in St James Park) - sleep easy tonight ha!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't figure out a better place for this, so I'll leave it here.

The 5 July Dire Straits show is ready and up on Dime. mjk5510 remastered a transfer from hobbes, and his work is truly excellent! Only a 16-bit version. Link below for those who do not torrent, and two samples - Romeo and Juliet, and Sultans of Swing. It's a small arena, ~10k then, and I think the intimacy comes thru. I hope you all enjoy it!

1985-07-05 Dire Straits - London, England (JimCT Master)

https://mega.nz/folder/O9owjCwY#6P982qKMcZl1kyp91yZ4HA

04 Romeo And Juliet.flac

06 Sultans Of Swing.flac

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

This reminds me of a visit I did few years ago on a flea market for vinyl records and cd´s. There I saw a double vinyl album from this concert in London. Don´t know if it was the first, second or last show.

But it was very expensive, therefore I didn´t buy it........