Greasy Lake Community

Jessica going to the Olympics

Finally got to watch her - well done, Jessica!

Most of all ... well done King Edward! What a horse!

How exciting was that? First, one refuses and then the French come unstuck, too. No way was that one going to jump.

Only gripe ... I understand why GB pulled out (sort of) - but I don't like it. Just ride your horse at a steady pace.

• Like 1

Well done Jessica and the US team. When was the last time I was rooting for an American athlete.. Can't remember, maybe when Phelps was winning all his events.. Just to clarify nothing against US athletes and I hope they top the table but there was no like Bolt who we desperately wanted to do well and win. 

• Like 2

Congratulation to The Guardian for their originality and imagination in coming up with the headline 'Glory Days'. I'm sure many nanoseconds of thought went into that:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/07/jessica-springsteen-show-jumping-olympics-tokyo-2020-silver-medal

• Like 3

FWIW, inside interview from a few years ago about Jess in the Belgian press

Born to ride : daughter of Bruce Springsteen climbs the world top in equestrian sport

Papa Bruce Springsteen belongs to the royalty of rock 'n' roll, but daughter Jessica (27) also aims high. She ranks among the very best show jumping riders in the United States, as witnessed by her victory at the Stockholm Grand Prix this weekend. She may jump at the Tokyo Olympics next year. From Bill Gates to Steve Jobs: Their daughters also have a passion for horses Jessica Springsteen is far from the only rich man's daughter who has thrown herself into equestrian sport.

But why are it always the daughters of the rich and famous who have an equestrian hobby? Kris Van Loo, the editor-in-chief of the biweekly horse magazine Haverklap, is looking for an explanation. “One of those wealthy fathers once told me how happy he was that his daughter was passionate about horses. Rather than skipping parties, wasting money or shopping for days, he thought it was important that she was committed to a project. And that it's always about daughters? Well, go and have a look at a riding school with the ten-year-old beginners. Those are mostly girls. They enjoy grooming, braiding, petting that animal. At the top, the men dominate again. Is it because you only reach the top at a later age and that sport is difficult to reconcile with a desire to have children?

The scornful comments from the press, the public and competition are predictable. Dad treats daughter to top horse, daughter gets a shortcut to the top. Van Loo knows the accusation. “The envy of other riders isn't too bad, but some journalists or outsiders keep coming back to those rich parents. It is of course true that they have the best horses, but that is not sufficient as an explanation. Those critics overlook that Jessica is barely 27 years old. In comparison: Philippe Le Jeune became world champion for the first time at the age of fifty. As a teenager you can already be the best in the world in tennis, in equestrian sport that is not possible.”

The arrival of these new riches contributed to a financial explosion in the equestrian sport. Compared to ten years ago, budgets and competition premiums have increased more than fivefold. "Especially the owners of the horses don't grumble about the interest of people like Bill Gates or Bruce Springsteen," says Van Loo. “And those owners are almost never the riders themselves. Among the fifty best in the world ranking, our Pieter Devos is one of the few exceptions who does ride his own horses.”

Kris Van Loo Editor-in-chief of equestrian magazine Haverklap "Jessica Springsteen is by far the best of this small dozen rich daughters with jumping ambitions. A month and a half ago she won her first Grand Prix in Saint-Tropez against the best riders in the world and last Sunday she was the primus at the four-star jumping in Stockholm. “She has taken the right steps,” says Van Loo. “Jessica went to train in Germany with the Beerbaum family (Ludger Beerbaum is a four-time Olympic champion) and with the English Olympic champion of Rio 2016. And her partner is Lorenzo de Luca, a top Italian rider who rides for the Belgian Stephex team.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.44a20c12ee5659f74f495e51b9ab1472.jpg

Father Bruce Springsteen, daughter Jessica Springsteen. He: rock phenomenon, she: world-class rider. Wolvertem serves as Springsteen's base of operations for Europe. “When she competes on this continent, she starts from Wolvertem. In her stable are some Belgian horses. Jennifer Gates, Bill's daughter, even owns a complete riding school in the Campines, a region in north-eastern Belgium. At first she had housed her horses in a beautiful complex in Zandhoven, but she preferred accommodation to herself. That's how it goes in those circles. Our riders work with horses of about six years old, which they bring to the top over a period of several years and then sell them, Jennifer Gates or Jessica Springsteen do not. They buy horses that are already at the top.”

Springsteen is the most passionate of the famous couple, says Van Loo. “Once two American sisters, daughters of a very wealthy businessman, came to Belgium for three days to buy horses. Well, that duo let themselves be driven around in an expensive car with a driver and had a personal assistant. They left with some horses, which they stabled at home in Florida, while they went to college in the north of the States and only flew over on weekends. Jessica is completely different. She is really driven and committed to her sport. She is among the top five American riders. That only works if you have that drive.”

Despite her growing sporting success – she is on the American shortlist for Tokyo 2020 – the 27-year-old Amazon will forever remain the daughter of rock phenomenon Bruce Springsteen. A legacy that is not always easy to carry, according to Van Loo. “Then you see how dozens of people follow her with a camera or how the paperazzi suddenly appear when the granddaughter of Aristotle Onassis registers for a second-rate competition on Sunday morning. I have a good relationship with Jessica, built up over a few years, precisely because I avoid such behaviour. When we talk to each other, it's about horses and not about her famous parents."

• Like 1

If anyone in the UK has Sky News on their tablet or PC have a look at todays news and the article about Jessica and the Olympics.  That picture must be in the running for Sports picture of the year,  The look in her eyes and same with the horse is perfect concentration, Thats how you win medals. 

If anyone could post the pic on here I would be very grateful

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ParisKiss said:

If anyone in the UK has Sky News on their tablet or PC have a look at todays news and the article about Jessica and the Olympics.  That picture must be in the running for Sports picture of the year,  The look in her eyes and same with the horse is perfect concentration, Thats how you win medals. 

If anyone could post the pic on here I would be very grateful

This one?

image.thumb.png.437442fdf98990ac80d47f112dc07009.png

• Love Love Love! 1

8 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

The TV here in China they mention Jessica is the daughter of America's Rock N' Roll God 美国摇滚上帝 Bruce Springsteen.

I am so happy they knows Bruce.

I totally understand that :)

For a long time it was like Springsteen inc had one of tbose Ikea maps that leave New Zealand completly off