Greasy Lake Community

Jessica going to the Olympics

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

Congratulations to the Belgian team, it took them 45 years to get an olympic medal although the horse sport does have a very big tradition in my countryf51641f0-f77d-11eb-9fa9-30b683366fa6.thumb.jpg.4c11bd56229c49e314dfca09abc64619.jpg

Well done the Belgians :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

That medal you wore on your chest always got in the way.

Some girls they want a handsome Dan

or a good looking Don Juan van de Donkhoeve

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Just watched the competition, so exciting!  I’m very happy for Jessica and the whole US team.  
I can’t believe McLain Ward’s horse’s name is “Contagious,” not a great name for the pandemic Olympics, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rtb said:

Some girls they want a handsome Dan

or a good looking Don Juan van de Donkhoeve

The Samsung autocorrect for donkhoeve is donkey love which would give that sentence a whole different meaning :o

• Haha 5

She's one heck of an equestrian jumper.  She's ranked 14th in the world, and the only woman in the world in the top 20 :)
We're going to be watching her for years to come.  Springsteen's excel at their chosen fields.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/lambda-coronavirus-variant-what-experts-are-learning/ar-AAN3zya?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Jes is about to be on our news

Not sure if it'll be in the sports news or the final wee bit after the wheather

But the very unoriginal she was born in the USA has been said .....

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well done the Belgians :)

Thanks! 25 of the 90 horses in Tokyo come from Belgian soil. In fact: 5 of the 9 horses on the podium were born in our country

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

41 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Thanks! 25 of the 90 horses in Tokyo come from Belgian soil. In fact: 5 of the 9 horses on the podium were born in our country

That's  very impressive 

Delighted for Jessica. Bruce, Patti, Evan and Sam must be hugely proud to have an Olympic silver medalist in the family. It takes enormous hard work and huge talent to achieve these things, no matter how much financial support is available. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jess is back in Belgium, and she rode her other top horse to the win this weekend in the €500k Grand Prix. Seems like €120k + a €40k bonus, plus an Audi Etron. Nice payday!

https://www.worldofshowjumping.com/All-other-events/Jessica-Springsteen-is-the-boss-in-the-CSI5-Rolex-Grand-Prix-at-the-Brussels-Stephex-Masters.html

https://online.equipe.com/en/class_sections/606961

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Jess is back in Belgium, and she rode her other top horse to the win this weekend in the €500k Grand Prix. Seems like €120k + a €40k bonus, plus an Audi Etron. Nice payday!

https://www.worldofshowjumping.com/All-other-events/Jessica-Springsteen-is-the-boss-in-the-CSI5-Rolex-Grand-Prix-at-the-Brussels-Stephex-Masters.html

https://online.equipe.com/en/class_sections/606961

That seems like a really nice payday, but I'm wondering what kind of expenses one has to get a payday like that.

Jim, can you give some ballpark estimates on what it costs to have a horse like hers?  Like what it costs to transport it to a show, stable and food costs per month, cost of people to look after the horse...

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

That seems like a really nice payday, but I'm wondering what kind of expenses one has to get a payday like that.

Jim, can you give some ballpark estimates on what it costs to have a horse like hers?  Like what it costs to transport it to a show, stable and food costs per month, cost of people to look after the horse...

It depends on so much. For example, that horse is owned by Rushy Marsh Farm (Frank McCourt - former owner of the Dodgers, and current owner of Olympique Marseille - and his 2d wife, Monica. So presumably there is a business arrangement as to dividing both the expenses and the prize money. Also, commercial haulage gets expensive, so most pros have their own arrangements. Most of the riders I know in Europe have essentially large RVs with 2-6 stalls in the rear and living quarters in the front.

But I expect the "bonus" and the car are hers, regardless :)

Here in the US I used to ballpark that it was $80-100k/year to compete a top flight horse on the circuit. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1