Greasy Lake Community

Jessica going to the Olympics

3 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Put another way, the winner is the fastest one who knocks the least fences down :rolleyes:

So is Racing in the Street. But I think the longer version is better :D 

• Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, I know very little about this event in the Olympics'. One last question: Is this a judged competition? Or is it timed/whoever finishes the course first wins sport?   

The horse events are so good to watch Jimmy

(Well dressage is a bit not, but Jes isnt doing 3 day evening)

The courses are really pretty, and olympic commentators know most of us don't know the inns and outs of a lot of Olympic sports 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Just to add

its a thousand times more excitting to watch

than soccer 

Watching Paint Dry > Soccer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Yip :D

We're bound to get in trouble now ! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

If you think you're going to provoke me to say that show jumping must be a million times better than F1 if its a thousand times better than soccer (by which I assume you mean association football), then you're right :P

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

The world disagrees with you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Gringos just don't understand

• Haha 1

I was born with the equine gene too.  It wasnt until I was 30 that I got to have horses, and in 1964 my horse dreams were intercepted by four guys from Liverpoool and in mid 80s I came back around to horses, but firmly planted in my Bruce family and love by then.  Jessica may have a dad that can support her passion but the hard work, commitment, frustration, tears, joys and aches and pains are hers and no one else.  Best horses and trainers mean nothing if you don't keep at it...if you dont believe in your dream and dont forget why you got into this game.  The horse comes first.  I never became the rider I dreamed of, and while I remained with horses I took a different path with them.  I sacrifice neat cars, cool clothes etc to have them in my life - I am retired now and they are still outside my window.   

Mom and dad should be way proud of her and I sure as hell hope dad kept the Broadway schedule open for a trip to Japan.  Talk about workin' on a dream...congratulations Jessica, well earned.

UPDATE:  Did not realize spectators not allowed....sorry dad.

bruce 2.jpg

bruce 1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

The horse events are so good to watch Jimmy

(Well dressage is a bit not, but Jes isnt doing 3 day evening)

The courses are really pretty, and olympic commentators know most of us don't know the inns and outs of a lot of Olympic sports 

If you ever took lessons or learned to ride with some ability, and then watch high level dressage --- it's not boring, it's mesmerizing.   Next time you can watch what the horse is doing and watch to see if you can figure out what the rider is doing to achieve said results from the horse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aramuse said:

If you ever took lessons or learned to ride with some ability, and then watch high level dressage --- it's not boring, it's mesmerizing.   Next time you can watch what the horse is doing and watch to see if you can figure out what the rider is doing to achieve said results from the horse.

I know dressage is very skilled :)

Over the years i have known a few adults who competed fairy serously 

Before pay tv we used to get Badminton on tv - and the olympics of course 

The arena just isn't as pretty as all the pretty jumps and the cross country ;)

Do you think the horses enjoy it ?

One of my friend's horses (her and her sister had half a doz - a couple retired but kept for traveling companions) was an ex race horse 

There was this cross country course (that our 4z4 club also used to use for competitions) within hearing of the race couse

My freind's horse would get all excitted when he heard the races 

2 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

I've always enjoyed watching the Olympic horse events.  Didn't Princess Anne complete in the Olympics decades ago?  I'll be watching and cheering Jessica on.

And her first husband Mark Philips 

And their daughter Zara (now Tindall)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, el sergio said:

Her horse, Don Juan van de Donkhoeve, is of Belgian origin. It (or he?) was bred by De Donkhoeve in Hamme, East Flanders. "Belgium is a breeding country with many good horses". Yihaaaaw

Bruce_Springsteen_watching_Jessica_Springsteen_Volage_Du_Val_Henry_KS67529_xgaplus.thumb.jpg.dd585fa58ef9b2454c20699ff877302b.jpg

(I guess this is not that Don Juan from wherever horse)

Who is on the balcony with Bruce?

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Ho Ho Ho ... his beloved wife. As you know.

I'm a poet but don't knowet.

• Haha 1

Let the horse in Colts Neck neigh

'cause they understand

if they can take one moment into their hooves...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

I've always enjoyed watching the Olympic horse events.  Didn't Princess Anne complete in the Olympics decades ago?  I'll be watching and cheering Jessica on.

Yes she too was quite the horse woman....and so is Queen Elizabeth who still rides regularly at 95.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

Ho Ho Ho ... his beloved wife. As you know.

No way. I thought it was the tottie from the gym. Although she hasn't seen the inside of a gym in a long time whoever she is.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I can't think of dressage without remembering Snoop Dogg's comment about Mitt Romney!

Now, in jumping - if Jessica Springsteen goes round in 48 seconds but knocks over one pole is that better than me going round in half an hour but not knocking over any fences? i.e. does a fault increase your time by x seconds so she still wins?

31 minutes ago, bdw said:

I can't think of dressage without remembering Snoop Dogg's comment about Mitt Romney!

Now, in jumping - if Jessica Springsteen goes round in 48 seconds but knocks over one pole is that better than me going round in half an hour but not knocking over any fences? i.e. does a fault increase your time by x seconds so she still wins?

No, the clear round (no knock downs) is the leader, but there are limits and a half hour is beyond that!!!

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Sometimes Patty just looks so so frumpy and needs to brush her fucking hair....

• Sad 3

32 minutes ago, bdw said:

Each course has a "maximum allowed" time. If you exceed that you get time faults as described before. So if the max allowed time is 55 seconds, and you take 1:12, you would get 5 FEI time faults while she would have only 4 jumping faults, and she'd beat you. It is the sum of faults for each rider, both jumping and time, that matters.

• Like 2