Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Jessica going to the Olympics


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Jertucky said:

What I was questioning was whether or not she was one of the 10 Olympians to watch because she is one of the ten best competing in an event or because she is one of the ten most recognizable names, and I think you answered that. I appreciate it.

As to that, I don't think it's either. 
They have picked out ten competitors who may be of particular interest to viewers - not necessarily because they are the best or most recognisable, but for various reasons. 

Just read the article and you can decide for yourself.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836107

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

As to that, I don't think it's either. 
They have picked out ten competitors who may be of particular interest to viewers - not necessarily because they are the best or most recognisable, but for various reasons. 

Just read the article and you can decide for yourself.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836107

 

 

Exactly. And in Jessica's case there is no mistaking what the reason is for her inclusion. I'm sure many viewers will still watch her and say "I wonder if ........" At least the BBC have attempted to answer the question in advance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

As to that, I don't think it's either. 
They have picked out ten competitors who may be of particular interest to viewers - not necessarily because they are the best or most recognisable, but for various reasons. 

Just read the article and you can decide for yourself.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57836107

 

 

Thank you. I don’t want to read the article, but I do appreciate the response

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm guessing that @JimCT will be able to answer. 

Is the layout of the course known before the event so the riders/horses can practice before leaving for the event?

Is there a practice session at the event before the competition?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, burghfan said:

I'm guessing that @JimCT will be able to answer. 

Is the layout of the course known before the event so the riders/horses can practice before leaving for the event?

Is there a practice session at the event before the competition?

Yes there are practice areas, and warm up rings adjacent to the competition ring. Warm-up consist of just jumping single fences, either verticals or oxers (as I described earlier in the thread, gradually increasing the height to that of the course itself.

Before each competition the course map is posted - you can generally access it online as well. That will give you a sense of the flow. But then the course is opened so that all the competitors can "walk the course", literally pace from one fence to the next, measuring distances and assessing what flow and pace and path gives their horse a smooth and fast path from fence to fence - bending out here, cutting in there - and figuring out how to ride the combinations, two or three fences in quick succession (1 or 2 strides between fences, so no time to adjust).

Each round will have a different map set by the course designer, who is of elite caliber himself. The purpose of course design is to "ask questions" of the horse and rider, so as to end up with only a small group fault-free over the first round (in conversations with other designers they've expressed a goal to have less clears than the number of ribbons available, as a rule of thumb - they don't want "only" 2, but they don't want 15 either: 8-10 is good). Then the jump-off can decide the final placings.

Each day is a new challenge. And the jump-offs are derived from the first round each day, maybe using half a dozen fences from the first round, occasionally starting at other than 1, sometimes in a different order, and occasionally adding a completely new fence or two. For Tokyo, the sponsors choose Santiago Varela, a Spaniard who seems to mostly design courses there. As with most of Europe the competition there is of the highest standard, and he is well-regarded. I've never seen his work here in the US.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

This should be an Olympic event.

 

That’s a great idea! Maybe Sam or Evan James could take part with the celebrated one-legged dog! ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Exactly. And in Jessica's case there is no mistaking what the reason is for her inclusion. I'm sure many viewers will still watch her and say "I wonder if ........" At least the BBC have attempted to answer the question in advance.

Yes, there's no escaping that as it's a very distinctive surname.  I've never encountered it anywhere but Bruce and his family.  It would be different it she was, say, George Harrison's daughter, or Ronnie Wood's.  It simply wouldn't occur to people unless they were told.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember 2012 London? Zara Phillips rode for Team GBR 3-day eventing. 4th of 5 on the team after dressage, 3d after X-country, 3d after stadium jumping, so one of the three scores used that won the silver for team GBR. She held up her end too. ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JimCT said:

Remember 2012 London? Zara Phillips rode for Team GBR 3-day eventing.

Phillips, right? Uhm… Where have I heard that name before? ;) Was her mother into acting some years ago? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, JimCT said:

Remember 2012 London? Zara Phillips rode for Team GBR 3-day eventing. 4th of 5 on the team after dressage, 3d after X-country, 3d after stadium jumping, so one of the three scores used that won the silver for team GBR. She held up her end too. ;) 

Its nice for a very casual fan like me having another name (non NZ) to watch out for :)

So Jes is this year's Zara for me 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question in this afternoon's quizz

Gary will be in big trouble if he gets it wrong 

The rest of the quizz if anyone wants to do it 

I got 10 which is about my average

....i do really well on American themed  questions and stuff about  royality :P

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/quizzes/300363467/quiz-afternoon-trivia-challenge-july-22-2021

Screenshot_20210722-162152.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although no spectators are allowed, watching the dressage I've hear several references to the owners being there. That's common, by the way, for the owners to receive credentials for shows. As the family "farm" owns the horse, IIRC Patti may be listed as a farm owner but I don't think Bruce is. No idea if he can be added at this date, or if there are limitations on the number of owners who can attend, or any other implications that could affect that choice. So at least Patti may be able to attend. That would be very nice for both her and Jessica.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Although no spectators are allowed, watching the dressage I've hear several references to the owners being there. That's common, by the way, for the owners to receive credentials for shows. As the family "farm" owns the horse, IIRC Patti may be listed as a farm owner but I don't think Bruce is. No idea if he can be added at this date, or if there are limitations on the number of owners who can attend, or any other implications that could affect that choice. So at least Patti may be able to attend. That would be very nice for both her and Jessica.

According to yesterdays Daily Mail (I must point out I'm not a regular reader of it!) Bruce is in Japan at the moment. There doesn't look to be any SOB shows for a few weeks so could be true.

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Johnstown Company said:

According to yesterdays Daily Mail (I must point out I'm not a regular reader of it!) Bruce is in Japan at the moment. There doesn't look to be any SOB shows for a few weeks so could be true.

Yes, the SOB schedule intentionally had an "Olympic break" scheduled and spotted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JimCT said:

No idea if he can be added at this date, or if there are limitations on the number of owners who can attend, or any other implications that could affect that choice. So at least Patti may be able to attend. That would be very nice for both her and Jessica.

He's very famous and very wealthy. He also probably bought the horse. So I'm sure he'll be there.

:-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...