Greasy Lake Community

Jessica going to the Olympics

According to Stan Goldstein, Bruce is not at the Olympics.

"This picture was taken yesterday (Wednesday, July 28). Bruce had lunch with some of his old Freehold friends at Federici's. He did not go to Tokyo and is not going to the Olympics."

FB_IMG_1627605020299.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, kl1967 said:

Anyone know exactly when she will be riding?

Tues 6a-9:45p US East Coast, so 7p Tokyo evening, is the first round qualifier - 75 to jump IIRC, 30 qualify for the individual final. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Breakaway said:

According to Stan Goldstein, Bruce is not at the Olympics.

"This picture was taken yesterday (Wednesday, July 28). Bruce had lunch with some of his old Freehold friends at Federici's. He did not go to Tokyo and is not going to the Olympics."

FB_IMG_1627605020299.jpg

I’d be extremely surprised if he (or any other athlete parent, not being the officially recognized trainer) were allowed to travel to Tokyo for the games. Stadiums are empty and athletes themselves are forbidden to leave the Olympic village because of COVID concerns. 

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Then we cheer for the only Springsteen being in Japan :P

241538411_CentralParkHorseShow.jpg.979147e06255b2c56a512c007c3c9e35.jpg

I can’t see the dates on the back: is that some sort of fake Japan tour merchandise? ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Looks like NBCSN is the channel that the jumping equestrian events are being shown, but the broadcasts won't be live.  Here's a link with the schedule.

EQUESTRIAN SCHEDULE

Fortunately I'm an early riser, so a 6a start (7p in Tokyo) is just fine :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank said:

I can’t see the dates on the back: is that some sort of fake Japan tour merchandise? ;)

If not for the merchandise, like father like daughter, I'm not surprised, they both have a thing with boots :P

JESSIE14_1024x1024.thumb.png.096f8ccf88ca98e0b2630c8aeaac72b6.png

https://www.noellefloyd.com/blogs/sport/inside-my-closet-at-home-with-jessica-springsteen

23 hours ago, Frank said:

I’d be extremely surprised if he (or any other athlete parent, not being the officially recognized trainer) were allowed to travel to Tokyo for the games. Stadiums are empty and athletes themselves are forbidden to leave the Olympic village because of COVID concerns. 

There has been ridiculous talk going around that Bruce has traveled to Tokyo but he hasn't.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:36 PM, kl1967 said:

Anyone know exactly when she will be riding?

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/equestrian/event-schedule-jumping-team.htm

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/equestrian/event-schedule-jumping-individual.htm

...And note that you can press change above the times to change it to your location's time zone.

• Thanks 2

On 7/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, JimCT said:

Of those four she's the least experienced, and I'd probably rate her fourth, a priori. Bur, I haven't seen her and this horse in the ring in over a year. Form counts for a lot in this sport, how the partnership is performing now. The sport is in the ring with two living creatures who can only communicate through squeezes of the legs, gentle movements of the hands, a shifting of the body weight. By all accounts, and her results, she and Don Juan are going really well right now.

McLain Ward is probably the best American rider, has been for years and will be for years. He's entrancing to watch - he can ride all different kinds of horses and get the best from them. He has developed a proven business model with strong sponsors and even the occasional high visibility student. But I have zero knowledge of this horse - only that McLain can choose from several to make his #1, and this is the one he choose this season.

Kent is super-talented: he turned pro at 18, just over 20 years ago. If any US rider can challenge McLain on horse after horse, year after year, Kent would be on that list. I think he got the ride on Gazelle 4-5 years ago, and they have been very successful all over the US, Canada, and Europe. A jump off between McLain and Kent is truly something to behold, as both are lightning fast. He's developed strong sponsors and he consistently has excellent horses that he makes better.

Laura is also a seasoned professional, who has ridden for our Olympic team in Sydney and Hong Kong. In HK she rode Cedric, a small beautiful gray with a huge heart, who comes from some of my favorite Holsteiner breeding lines. We would always cheer for them here. She's been at the highest level for 30 years (she was an alternate for Barcelona).

Jess has been at this level less than 10 years. She rides for Frank McCourt and his new wife, but I don't know the extent of that sponsorship. This horse she bought a few years ago from a Belgian rider, and she's evidently developed it well and built a strong partnership. She's competed on the top circuits for many years, with great results. She's ridden for the national team in many events, and won big individual honors. Just because this is her first Olympic games doesn't mean she doesn't belong: she absolutely does. She will hold her end up, I expect.

order of go for today is now posted - https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/equestrian/results-jumping-individual-qual-000100-.htm

4 US team members, only 3 can ride - and the Chef picks Jessica as the middle of the US 3, sitting out McLain Ward! 

As I said above, it's a question of current form for the horse/rider pair, not the paper resumé of the rider or of the horse. Jess rides 49th of the 73 total. Depending on when they "drag the ring" - take down the poles, and use the tractors and grooming attachments to smooth and fluff the footing - that will be either the end of the 2d set or beginning of the 3d, I think, and about 2 hours or so into the session. That's a great starting spot, as she'll be able to watch 30 or more competitors go around first, spotting where the course presents problems, in addition to what she and her teammates figure out based on their walk of the course before the start.

Of course, that conflicts with my schedule, so I may have to catch her ride on replay. Today is a single round, so no jump off.

Top 30 today return for the individual final tomorrow evening, same start time.

ETA: Several eliminations so far in the first round. Because of moving the equestrian events out of the daytime weather all the show jumping is under the floodlights. Certainly here at WEF in Florida the horses are accustomed to the big Grand Prix on Saturday nights, and experience under the lights may prove crucial.

ETA: The Irish team is looking VERY strong.

ETA: They are dragging after 26, so Jess will be toward the end of the 2d group

• Thanks 1

They moved the 2d drag for no reason that I can discern, so Jess should be the first in the next group, ~10+ minutes depending on how good the ring crew is

in the ring now :)

1 rail down, equal 24th at the moment. Touch and go as to making the cut. 

Still in joint 29th and on a knife edge.

All three Americans have gone and Jessica was the best, slightly faster than the other on four faults and the third one has eight faults.

Going out on four faults would be a damn tough qualifying school.