Greasy Lake Community

Anyone For Tennis?

Eileen

Men's tennis for quite some time now reminds me of ladies tennis of the 80's when I started watching tennis. Besides Federer, Djokovic and Nadal hardly anyone else wines a major. Know Murray has won 3 or 4, Cilic maybe once and one other player I can't remember.. Very different from the 80's,90's and even early 2000's. Its great testimony to the amazing dedication and fitness of the big 3 but would still like to see more players challenging. In the 80's we were all so bored of seeing Navaratilova win everything except for the rare occasion when Chris Every or Mandlikova won. Then Steffi Graf  came along and somehow since she retired, I don't follow ladies tennis with the same passion though there is so much depth now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Off to play padel tonight. I’m like a short & fat Andre Agassi post mullet days.

Is that like Short Tennis? John and I played that on holiday once - took a while to get used to it and by the time we did ... we'd lost.

I used to play a lot of tennis, every spare moment was spent bashing the ball off the coalhouse/toilet wall.  My all-time favourite was Tony Roche but I loved all the Australian players back then. Nobody, imho, comes close to them nowadays. The 50s and 60s were such special times.

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

Is that like Short Tennis? John and I played that on holiday once - took a while to get used to it and by the time we did ... we'd lost.

I used to play a lot of tennis, every spare moment was spent bashing the ball off the coalhouse/toilet wall.  My all-time favourite was Tony Roche but I loved all the Australian players back then. Nobody, imho, comes close to them nowadays. The 50s and 60s were such special times.

It’s like a cross between Tennis & Squash. Real good fun and you don’t have to chase after wayward shots.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Off to play padel tonight. I’m like a short & fat Andre Agassi post mullet days.

C’mon Tim!

WOW, learn something new everyday. I thought you were talking about what we call Pickleball. But this is something totally different. Like it!! 

Wimbledon, use to love to watch with Conners/McEnroe/Borg. When it was more then a service and a volley, like today! How many points go pass a couple touches from each player? 

I guess that is why I loved watching Chris Evert play at the French Open, she would sit on the base line and hit ball after ball back until her opponent made a mistake. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I guess that is why I loved watching Chris Evert play at the French Open, she would sit on the base line and hit ball after ball back until her opponent made a mistake. 

That's why I didn't like to watch her - boring as heck. I liked her, just not her monotonous style. Give me the serve and volleyers every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I bet there were other reasons too ;)

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

This is how bored I am, I'm posting in a tennis thread. Talking about players from 25 years ago!  

Those were the (tennis) days!

More exciting than the football. Watch it, somebody'll score now.

Hahaha! And Italy score!

21 hours ago, Eileen said:

That's why I didn't like to watch her - boring as heck. I liked her, just not her monotonous style. Give me the serve and volleyers every time.

I remember we had Ramesh Krishnan, who won the juniors at Wimbledon, had a fairly decent career. Good ground strokes but terrible serve. For some reason he troubled McEnroe who once commented what do you do with a guy whose serve takes forever to reach you. The Becker vs edberg, Sampras vs Agassi and Federer vs Nadal matches were all classics. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Will this be the end of Federer? :( Like I said earlier nice to see more young guys coming along but will miss his artistry

Yes, surprising but the other lad was so good.

I would imagine he'll pack in now - as you say, the young lads are taking over. Novak and Nadal may think otherwise though.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to bother with the Ladies Final but I like the two who are in it so I'll be watching. I'm glad the 'noisy' lass lost yesterday - can't abide all that screaming.

Now then, will my lad beat Novak? It doesn't seem likely but stranger things have happened. Come on, Denis!

1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

Oh ... I like Novak. Mind you, I was supporting yer man in this match. Sad to see his tears at the end.

So near. He had the better of him many times ... Novak had the experience when it came to the big points.

• Like 1