Greasy Lake Community

Anyone For Tennis?

Eileen

11 hours ago, jmw said:

Big Novak fan. The young man will be bad.

As in 'good'? Or play rubbish?

He'll beat Novak ... resoundingly.

1 hour ago, jmw said:

Should have been back.:D I am sure he will at some point.

Oh, Denis. Yes, we'll hear a lot more from him.

Watching the final - hoping for a 3rd set.

There was ... and well done, Ashleigh. Hard lines, Karolina.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Evidently Kate Dutchess of Cambridge had a kiwi designed dress on  (i beleave an Occa won the ladies final)

I had to look up 'Occa'.

It says it's an insult .. that so?

Flippin' 'eck, Berrettini can smack the ball and he's not afraid to do it (even when more sensible options are available). No wonder he's the crowd's favourite.

It would be nice to see Djokovic get to 20 but Berrettini is a breath of fresh air and would be a poke in the eye for the "play the percentages, make your opponent make the mistake" style of sport.

• Like 3

Boo hiss.

Well done, Matteo ... played well.

I've turned the telly off - can't watch Novak's looking up to the sky etc. Pfffft!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Boo hiss.

Well done, Matteo ... played well.

I've turned the telly off - can't watch Novak's looking up to the sky etc. Pfffft!

They both played well, I thought he was going to lose, I think the Italian is another player who we will be seeing a lot more off.

I remember back in my youth, I was a  Connor and Mac fan, so never really gone with the favourites.

We can't all like the same people.

We have seen lots of new talent this year.

• Like 1

Berrettini looks like one for the future but you never know what injury, loss of form can do.

He comes across as a really nice guy with his head screwed on so I don't think the mental side of the game will be a problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bdw said:

Berrettini looks like one for the future but you never know what injury, loss of form can do.

He comes across as a really nice guy with his head screwed on so I don't think the mental side of the game will be a problem.

Yes he does, he won Queens, it will be an interesting future .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eileen said:

I had to look up 'Occa'.

It says it's an insult .. that so?

Oh -:o we don't say it as an insult 

If we went to insult them we use much more colorful and universal language :lol:

Is there anyone now who can stop Djokovic. Manages to raise his game almost every single time. He will end up with more slams than anyone but I just feel that somehow he will never get the same respect as Federer. A bit like Lendl who probably had a more impressive record than most but all we heard back then was McEnroe and Connors and then Becker before Sampras and Agassi came along. 

• 1 month later...

It looks like Emma has got over her summer disappointment at wimbers and has the right support behind her. I have not seen any of her play this time but have been following her amazing progress, she is a joy to watch and I wish her good luck tomorrow night in the Final. I would like to watch it live but fear it may jinx her so still undecided is I will or not. Added here but she probably deserves a thread of her own after all she has done.

• Like 1

Playing an opponent who has beaten Kerber (16 seed), Svitolina (5), Osaka (3) and Sabalenka (2) must surely prove tougher. But those were all close three set matches, whereas Emma has breezed through dropping very few games. Tough to call.

• Like 1

Second almost sleepless night in a row but I managed to find the tennis on Radio 5 Live. I heard most of the second set. Can't help thinking that if her opponent in the Final is tough to beat then the youngest may just crumble. Hope not.

That must be the best tournament performance of any British player - to come through the qualifiers and win a Grand Slam without losing a set is ridiculous.

Obviously, among British players, Andy Murray's career achievements are unmatched in the modern era but that three week performance is incredible.

Both players were fantastic - huge shots and returning balls that looked like they were unplayable.

Well done Emma, and Leylah, in a fantastic match Tim Henman had it spot on when he said that neither girl took a backward step, and although the score might not suggest it the match was very close. Lets hope she gets well looked after and can stay fit and healthy for years to come, she is a dream for the marketing people.

• Like 1