Greasy Lake Community

What is your favorite (live) opening song?

Just as the title says, what is your favorite opening song during the live concerts? 

For me that one is easy: Good Rockin' Tonight in 1978. As a big Elvis Presley fan I'm still amazed at what Bruce made of the song. The energy and the obvious fun while playing it is unbelievable. 

Other favorite opening songs include: 

- Incident On 57th Street (1974,1975 & 2016)

- Prove It All Night (any era)

- Born In The USA (1984/1985). (JimCT's recordings of Wembly '85 (especially July 6th really capture the impact and excitement of that 'big' opening!))

- Radio Nowhere

- Meet Me In The City Tonight (again I'm amazed by the energy and fun while being played!)

• Like 2

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out at Camp Nou Barcelona 2008. Bruce entered the stage, the night sky fully pitch black, and prowled along the stage from side to side like a caged lion, while the frenzied crowd whipped up the intro louder, and louder, and louder.

An unforgettable experience to begin an epic night. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

- Born In The USA (1984/1985). (JimCT's recordings of Wembly '85 (especially July 6th really capture the impact and excitement of that 'big' opening!))

And this. He got me from the “One, two, one-two-three Fawwwrrrrrr”. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

15 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out at Camp Nou Barcelona 2008. Bruce entered the stage, the night sky fully pitch black, and prowled along the stage from side to side like a caged lion, while the frenzied crowd whipped up the intro louder, and louder, and louder.

I'm listening to it now on an excellent audience recording and it definitely must have been amazing, especially in a place as big as Camp Nou! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Hands down the best opener to any concert I’ve been to. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

Summertime Blues from the Agora.

honorable mention 

Then she Kissed Me in St. Louis 2008  

Rave On from Hollywood and OH Boy from Charleston.

BITUSA was a great opener on the 84/5 tour. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

26 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Summertime Blues from the Agora.

honorable mention 

Then she Kissed Me in St. Louis 2008  

Rave On from Hollywood and OH Boy from Charleston.

BITUSA was a great opener on the 84/5 tour. 

'Then She Kissed Me' from St. Louis 2008 could have been in my list above too. Must have been something really special as the song wasn't played for exactly 30 years! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

'Then She Kissed Me' from St. Louis 2008 could have been in my list above too. Must have been something really special as the song wasn't played for exactly 30 years! 

That was an incredible show. I pulled tix at the last minute on a drop then drove 6 hours to St Louis for the show.  Absolutely amazing concert.  On top of TSKM we got Mountain of Love. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Most certainly the three-pack (or four) to open the VFC show I saw in St. Paul. 12-string Star Spangled Banner was OK, but then the Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/No Surrender rocked the house. I can only imagine how the BITUSA opener would have been received in 1984/85 during peak Brucedom.

12 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

That was an incredible show. I pulled tix at the last minute on a drop then drove 6 hours to St Louis for the show.  Absolutely amazing concert.  On top of TSKM we got Mountain of Love. 

As I only became a fan in 2020 I have never seen Bruce live unfortunately, but this show is one of my absolute favorites from the archive series! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

This. Although the London version (30 May 2008), with Bruce's intro speech, comes very close.

I still think the success of the Barcelona version was a factor in Bruce opening the Super Bowl HT show with Tenth a few months later...

• Bruuuuce! 2

My favourite show opening was the last chorus of Twist & Shout followed by I Fought The Law in Dublin 2012. The first show after the infamous plug pull.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

34 minutes ago, gsquare said:

when he opened with Backstreets in honor of Danny's passing.

Absolutely. Although the circumstances were of course unknown when I booked the trip to Florida, to be there that night to witness it was surreal. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

For some reason the 10 shows I've seen haven't produced a lot of memorable openers (Just Like Fire Would....yawn!).   It has to be BITUSA in 85, by a long way.  That Brisbane show isn't very highly regarded, but I think it was significant in E Street history as the first true stadium show, with 45k, easily the biggest crowd he'd ever played to at that point.  I think he was probably nervous about trying to reach such a big crowd; It seemed like he put some extra sauce on that opening "1..2..1,2,3,4!". It was awesome.

• Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, davalav said:

I can only imagine how the BITUSA opener would have been received in 1984/85 during peak Brucedom.

I think this is why I want a BITUSA box set so much if it includes a blu ray disc of that opener.

The 1,2 (pause)1-2-3-4 is just an epic way to begin with that iconic intro into BITUSA. The way he just stood there holding his guitar aloft with his right arm, chest forward, before bellowing the first line. It was coolness personified. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

8 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I think this is why I want a BITUSA box set so much if it includes a blu ray disc of that opener.

The 1,2 (pause)1-2-3-4 is just an epic way to begin with that iconic intro into BITUSA. The way he just stood there holding his guitar aloft with his right arm, chest forward, before bellowing the first line. It was coolness personified. 

As a side note, is there any good quality 1985 concert footage available on DVD? I remember there being  a concert from Paris 1985 on YouTube if I'm correct that was good quality. 

8 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

As a side note, is there any good quality 1985 concert footage available on DVD? I remember there being  a concert from Paris 1985 on YouTube if I'm correct that was good quality. 

Yes Paris ‘85 is great quality but frustratingly the camera is panning the crowd and misses the Bruce posture action I described above in the intro to BITUSA. 

The part show video of Toronto ‘84 is also excellent. 

https://youtu.be/dlQ0mGBXUbs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

The Glory Days doc from 1987 had some (part of) songs of Los Angeles 1985, including the song Born In The U.S.A.; also Growin' Up with the bear story. Individual songs can easily be found on YouTube, as is the whole documentary which is still interesting to watch after all those years.

Also Toronto 1984 (only second set and encores).

Maybe a little bit strange that, in absence of the long-awaited BUSA Box, there seems not to be that much more (at least in good quality).

But all 4 Los Angeles 1985 shows were filmed and it is coming, in the generally expected not-so-far-away future.

• Love Love Love! 1

Born To Run.  I don't think I've seen any other artist starting a show with their signature tune. This made a jaw-dropping from the first note

• Love Love Love! 1