Greasy Lake Community

What is your favorite (live) opening song?

Only one contender for me, My Love Will Not Let You Down, opening song of my first show of The Reunion Tour, 1st May 1999 in Manchester. Loved the song when I heard it on Tracks and was desperate to hear it live so I was on cloud nine when it opened that show. It’s certainly not his best song but not many artists have the guts to take a deep breath, roar away into such a rollicking song as an opener and nail his colours to the mast so emphatically. It’s still one of my favourite live songs irrespective of where it appears in the set list but the place it should always be is straight out of the traps.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

OK, after reading this thread, seems a lot of us really dig My Love Will Not Let You Down, as I!!. So going back to my Roulette opener at Leeds 13', what follows but MLWNLYD and No Surrender. Best three pack opening to any Bruce archive if you ask me. And than throw in Something In The Night to cap things off! 

• Love Love Love! 5

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, after reading this thread, seems a lot of us really dig My Love Will Not Let You Down, as I!!. So going back to my Roulette opener at Leeds 13', what follows but MLWNLYD and No Surrender. Best three pack opening to any Bruce archive if you ask me. And than throw in Something In The Night to cap things off! 

Best 3-pack? BITUSA > Prove It All Night > Out In the Street

Listen to 1984-08-11, Meadowswamp; 1984-09-14 Philly (Phriday night in Philly :)); 1984-11-04 LA; 1984-11-08 Tempe

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

On 7/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, Jimmy James said:

Ah, Leeds 2013. Great opening salvo though I would have had My Love…. to open! Forth song in was Something In The Night, my all time favourite song followed not far behind by No Surrender. A good friend of mine who was in the house that night and knows my love of these songs sent me a text as Something In The Night kicked off enquiring had I written the set list. Chance would be a fine thing.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

First show I saw live opened with "The Ties That Bind", being on "The River" tour. My next show opened with "Born in the USA", being on that tour. My next two shows, both "Tunnel of Love" shows, opened with "Tunnel of Love". And so on.

That's been my experience in the UK: the first song on an album = the opening number for a show being done in support of that album. The notion of seeing a show and it not opening with the opening album track would be mind-boggling for me. I'd be happy to have my mind boggled, of course, at the next show :-)

"The Ties That Bind" is a great opening number and a fair summary of Bruce's theme on the importance of connecting, which is lovely when you're part of the crowd jumping up and down singing together.

• Love Love Love! 1

It is always fun to get a surprise. It sets the precent for a show with some surprises. But time all time greatest opener IMO is probably Night. The '76-'77 shows usually started that way, as well as the Nassau Coliseum NYE 1980 show.

I got to see that live on night 2 in Philly 2007, when Night to open was a real surprise and rarity. 

Badlands is hard to argue with, but it works equally well in lots of places in the set whereas Night is most effective when it kicks things off. And Ties that Bind was a very effective appropriate opener for the ESB shows in 1999-2000.

• Like 3