Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Favorite bridge between songs?


Recommended Posts

Forgive me my enthusiasm, but as a relatively new fan I'm always interested in these kind of things. More often than not answers given points me towards, for me, new pearls in a very big sea! 

My favorites are: 

- the bridge between 'The River' and 'Badlands'

- the bridge between 'Racing In The Street' and 'Thunder Road'. (this one would be my absolute #1. love the storytelling during this bridge about the Indian). 

- the bridge between 'Incident On 57th Street' and 'Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)'

What's yours? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way they transitioned from Cover Me into Dancing in the Dark from the BITUSA tour is excellent, as is Cover Me into Brilliant Disguise on the TOL tour. 

My favorite live one other than the Once Upon a Time in the West bridge that you mentioned is how he used Star Spangled Banner to bridge between Souls of the Departed and BITUSA in 1993. 

It's simple and happened in the studio but my absolute favorite might just be the way that Chasing Wild Horses ends and leads into Sundown. Incident into Rosalita is an obvious studio classic.

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

those notes of Incident into Rosalita 

and the obvious Detroit Medley ;) 

and the 84/85 encores, with Twist and Shout / La Bamba / Do You Love Me, etc.

ETA: I want to add those '84/'85 shows with an opening 3-pack - BITUSA / Prove It All Night / Out In the Street , or sometimes a BITUSA / Out in / (something else) - the audience had no choice but to hop in for the ride

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

 

It's simple and happened in the studio but my absolute favorite might just be the way that Chasing Wild Horses ends and leads into Sundown. Incident into Rosalita is an obvious studio classic.

Hero and I apparently posted at the same time. But Incident into Rosie isn't just a studio moment: MSG 2009, Rome 2013 - those are magical live moments

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Hero and I apparently posted at the same time. But Incident into Rosie isn't just a studio moment: MSG 2009, Rome 2013 - those are magical live moments

Yup, and a couple other good ones for OP to check out would be 1981-12-29 Nassau Coliseum and 1978-09-20 Passaic.

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, as a Dead-head the '78 lead-ins to She's the One were wonderful - Not Fade Away or Mona, take your pick, both excellent. Bruce doesn't so much bridge songs as the Dead did, aside from the Racing > Thunder Road '78 pairing that was outstanding. Whereas the Dead were legendary for things like the 1973-11-17 "symmetrical jam" at UCLA, 45 minutes of Playin' in the Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playin' in the band, seamless and thoughtful.

The one sequence like that I recall for Bruce was 1984-08-11, Saturday night at the Meadowswamp. After a "standard" Hungry Heart > DITD / Caddy Ranch 3-pack, Bruce launched into what I recall as ~65 minutes of essentially non-stop songs - Spirit > Fire > No Surrender > BTN > Growin' Up > Bobby Jean > Backstreets > Rosie. I was exhausted, in a good way.

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

Forgive me my enthusiasm, but as a relatively new fan I'm always interested in these kind of things. More often than not answers given points me towards, for me, new pearls in a very big sea! 

My favorites are: 

- the bridge between 'The River' and 'Badlands'

- the bridge between 'Racing In The Street' and 'Thunder Road'. (this one would be my absolute #1. love the storytelling during this bridge about the Indian). 

 

What's yours? 

 

Abram’s Bridge

  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

The way they transitioned from Cover Me into Dancing in the Dark from the BITUSA tour is excellent, as is Cover Me into Brilliant Disguise on the TOL tour. 

My favorite live one other than the Once Upon a Time in the West bridge that you mentioned is how he used Star Spangled Banner to bridge between Souls of the Departed and BITUSA in 1993. 

It's simple and happened in the studio but my absolute favorite might just be the way that Chasing Wild Horses ends and leads into Sundown. Incident into Rosalita is an obvious studio classic.

Damn. I totally 'forgot' about Incident/Rosalita while that is one of my favorites too. Like I said, it's a big see out there! I've edited it in my original post. The others you mention I will give a listen. Obviously I've heard them, but for some reason they didn't stick with me. Sometimes you have to 'really listen'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Hero and I apparently posted at the same time. But Incident into Rosie isn't just a studio moment: MSG 2009, Rome 2013 - those are magical live moments

Also 6 times on the last leg of 'The River 2016' tour and 1 time on the 'Summer 2017' tour. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Also, as a Dead-head the '78 lead-ins to She's the One were wonderful - Not Fade Away or Mona, take your pick, both excellent. Bruce doesn't so much bridge songs as the Dead did, aside from the Racing > Thunder Road '78 pairing that was outstanding. Whereas the Dead were legendary for things like the 1973-11-17 "symmetrical jam" at UCLA, 45 minutes of Playin' in the Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playin' in the band, seamless and thoughtful.

The one sequence like that I recall for Bruce was 1984-08-11, Saturday night at the Meadowswamp. After a "standard" Hungry Heart > DITD / Caddy Ranch 3-pack, Bruce launched into what I recall as ~65 minutes of essentially non-stop songs - Spirit > Fire > No Surrender > BTN > Growin' Up > Bobby Jean > Backstreets > Rosie. I was exhausted, in a good way.

Winterland 12/15/78: Mona into She’s the one is great.  Cleveland Agora 78 Not Fade Away - Gloria - She’s the one is also a favorite. TOL tour Ain’t got You into She’s the one is outstanding. 

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

It's simple and happened in the studio but my absolute favorite might just be the way that Chasing Wild Horses ends and leads into Sundown.

I was just about to post that very thing! I absolutely love that transition.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you guys have mentioned all of mine already ha! - probably coming in at number one though would be Racing in to Thunder Road, just sets it up SO well.

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

 TOL tour Ain’t got You into She’s the one is outstanding. 

Yes, this indeed. On the perfectly sequenced Tunnel album Ain't Got You is a nice opening song that serves as an introduction to what follows. On the live versions on the Tunnel Tour Bruce sounds like a character from a Lou Reed song that you don't want to meet in a dark alley.

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

I was just about to post that very thing! I absolutely love that transition.

Spot on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 8:59 AM, 65pacecar said:

TOL tour Ain’t got You into She’s the one is outstanding. 

This is one of my personal favorites as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with above comments.

Chasin' Wild Horses into Sundown is the best moment on a Bruce album post-Reunion

Incident into Rosie is the best moment on a Bruce album pre-Darkness

Also want to give a shout to the guitar transition of Candy's Room into She's the One when done live!

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...