Greasy Lake Community

Do you still see Bruce giving high energy rock 'n' roll shows?

Do you still see Bruce giving high energy rock 'n' roll shows?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. If he starts touring again in 2022, do you still see him giving high energy rock 'n' roll shows?

• Absolutely!
    • Maybe he'll still be rocking, but I doubt that he will be rolling much
    • No way, after this covid-hiatus, that kind of shows are behind us

I just saw this video on YouTube and I felt kind of sad after watching it. Ok, we all know Bruce is getting older, he's in his seventies now. And yes, he still looks quite in good shape for his age. Besides a bit of drinking, he has lived most of his live healthy with lots of sport and good food, and no drugs or other addictions.

But what struck me most about this video is the way he walked on stage. He really walks like an old man, someone who hasn't got that much energy left in him. I'm really scared that this one and a half year of sitting at home hasn't been good for a man of his age. I always thought that Bruce would grow old on stage and would keep on rocking untill he dropped dead in the middle of a show.

But when I see him walking on that stage, I don't know if this man is still capable of putting on a two hour (let alone three hour) high energy rock 'n' roll show. I can't see him running around the stage anymore, making the crowd go nuts, singing and screaming songs like Born in the USA, You can look (but you better not touch), Radio nowhere, Badlands or Ghosts.

What do you think? Is this still possible in 2022 and further? Or will the next tour sometimes be a bit embarrasing? I hate to think about going to a show and having to realise that he has gotten too old for this.

And if so, will we be getting a future with more acoustic shows, or a downsized E-Street band with more static shows, fixed setlists, ... ?

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

I just saw this video on YouTube and I felt kind of sad after watching it. Ok, we all know Bruce is getting older, he's in his seventies now. And yes, he still looks quite in good shape for his age. Besides a bit of drinking, he has lived most of his live healthy with lots of sport and good food, and no drugs or other addictions.

But what struck me most about this video is the way he walked on stage. He really walks like an old man, someone who hasn't got that much energy left in him. I'm really scared that this one and a half year of sitting at home hasn't been good for a man of his age. I always thought that Bruce would grow old on stage and would keep on rocking untill he dropped dead in the middle of a show.

But when I see him walking on that stage, I don't know if this man is still capable of putting on a two hour (let alone three hour) high energy rock 'n' roll show. I can't see him running around the stage anymore, making the crowd go nuts, singing and screaming songs like Born in the USA, You can look (but you better not touch), Radio nowhere, Badlands or Ghosts.

What do you think? Is this still possible in 2022 and further? Or will the next tour sometimes be a bit embarrasing? I hate to think about going to a show and having to realise that he has gotten too old for this.

And if so, will we be getting a future with more acoustic shows, or a downsized E-Street band with more static shows, fixed setlists, ... ?

I think: Absolutely. These solo Broadway shows require a very different approach and energy. I firmly believe that with the E-Street Band behind him and 10.000+ audiences the energy starts flowing again. Bruce is the kind of entertainer who feeds of the energy of the crowd. 

• Like 4

So I chose your middle option in the poll, because what I expect is the same incredibly high level of performance with lengthy shows approaching the three hour mark and wild setlists, but I expect the band to cool it a little. Find the guitarists some chairs and let them get a little break here and there, like how Clarence had his throne in 2009. We don't need to crowd surf, we don't need to run the stage from end to end, we don't need to hop up on the piano. Those theatrics are fun but they're never what made these guys GREAT. What made them great was the musical performance. The rest is just a cherry on top. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

I always thought that Bruce would grow old on stage and would keep on rocking untill he dropped dead in the middle of a show.

Really?!

I've often thought if Bruce needs to save his energy, he should take an E Street Revue on the road, with some other (younger) vocalists to pick up the slack.  Brian Fallon is the first one that springs to mind.  Vedder or Flowers less likely. Maybe a female?    I'm sure plenty of people would hate this idea... so flame on, MFs!!

• Sad 3

I see what you mean by him walking like an old man, but I'm pretty sure if that walking style was an accurate reflection of his current walking capabilities, he would not be standing up for 2½ hours performing his Broadway shows. One guess would be that he's just been sitting down on a chair for 30 minutes before going on stage. That's one thing I feel myself already, and I'm only 52. It takes a minute after you've been sitting down to get your legs and back completely functioning again, but after that minute, you're completely fine and can run and dance... if not like you were 25 then like you were 40. If you're a healthy 71-year-old, it may take two minutes, and you'll run and dance like you're 55, but that will still be enough to pull off a pretty hefty rock'n'roll show... I hope.

• Like 3

I wouldn't read TOO much in to that walk - he's been doing that sort of walk for some time now (even at some of the rock shows!) - jeez the walk on in Paris is 2016 (as he made his way to the piano for the solo Incident) was way worse than this one!, and a cracking night ensued!  I've seen plenty of my other favourite artists "age" - none more so than The Who - one of the more "physical" and energetic bands in rock n roll history and YES - compared to their own younger selves they pale, BUT, even as they are now they still kick asses 30 years younger than them!  Bruce WILL slow down (he doesn't have a choice in that) - the piano jumps and knee slides are already a things of the past and (even if he "could") I think post Covid crowd surfing will be a thing of the past but will/they still put on a rocking show, hell yes.

He is 6,7,8 years younger than Pete & Rog, Mick & Keef, Macca etc and they (whilst not what THEY were) are still putting on good shows and Bruce has an ego and won't want to be less than his peers - I think we have more than one ESB tour to come IMHO (will be making up for lost time when they can get back out)before he then goes on to something a bit more lower key as he gets to his late 70's - I don't think (health permitting) he will ever stop touring. The rock shows I think will be circa 2 hours 40 mins now and the set list will be structured such that he has breathers - or - if he maintains circa 3 hours still it will be with the reintoduction of more talking / intros (like years ago) to provide the breathing space - and TBH Broadway may have had that sort of effect/influence "anyway".  He will only come up short against his own 25, 35, 45, 55 year old self (just like The Who) and his rock voice may weaken a bit but it'll still be great and I'm sure he will pick material he is comfortable with.........fear not......I've been here already with others, it will be okay!       

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

P.S. Actually on reflection I think (ego) he will STILL hit / surpass the 3 hour mark on the next tour (with a structured set list) and I wouldn't be at all shocked (if he starts talking more again / doing intros to set some songs up) if 3.5 hours is still commonplace! I don't think he is ready for doing less than 3 hours yet!

• Like 2

Folk his age still run marathons and I have had plenty of cyclists much older then me fly pass and I'm very old.

its will all be about pacing  the shows as in never two in a row good long gaps between travelling etc  

My main worry is his voice but then again I been worrying about that since the band got back together again .

The River has never sounded better ! 

Give me Johnny cash's voice in his last years over anything he sang  before.    

• Bruuuuce! 1

I have some doubts about this so I voted for the second option in the poll. I'm sure any future stadium shows would need to be modified to fit Bruce's (and the band members') ability to perform. I'm okay with that but this is one of the reasons I'm hesitant about seeing Bruce live again. The last thing I wanna see is a show that is sad and awkward to watch.  

Durring my lifetime NZ has been a preferred and welcoming  market for aging and broken down has been  past it rockers 

Bruce and the ESB  have a very very long long way to go before they fit that category but he will still be welcome here any time, any day, any age, any year 

• Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, *Janey* said:

I have some doubts about this so I voted for the second option in the poll. I'm sure any future stadium shows would need to be modified to fit Bruce's (and the band members') ability to perform. I'm okay with that but this is one of the reasons I'm hesitant about seeing Bruce live again. The last thing I wanna see is a show that is sad and awkward to watch.  

I don't think it will be sad and awkward - it WOULD be a good time to move back indoors (at this age) but there is zero chance of that in Europe I suspect as the demand (post Covid) will be immense - best we could hope for would be indoors on the tour AFTER this next one (when they are the wrong sidse of their mid 70's) although even then I won't be holding my breath!  There WILL be indoor shows but few and far between in Europe unfortunately. Passport at the ready! (let's just hope the world is such that a tour in 2022 can even be contemplated...........let's see where life is by Easter next year!!?).

No, I expect less energy from him and the band on stage. But I'm sure the audiences will be as energetic as ever, or even more so after Covid.

In a 2019 interview on Music- news he said:
"I don’t run. I can’t run anymore! I’ll walk very fast however and I just generally take care of myself pretty well with the diet and exercise a little bit but that’s about it."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert65 said:

No, I expect less energy from him and the band on stage. But I'm sure the audiences will be as energetic as ever, or even more so after Covid.

In a 2019 interview on Music- news he said:
"I don’t run. I can’t run anymore! I’ll walk very fast however and I just generally take care of myself pretty well with the diet and exercise a little bit but that’s about it."

That sounds like bad knees from jumping off Roy's piano all these years - i can relate although not from jumping off pianos 

Perhaps should wear those fancy new sneakers on stage not boots 

I look back at what I did, physically, professionally, 20 to 30 years ago. 

I look back at what I did physically, casually, 10 to 20 years ago. 

No way I could do the professional stuff at even a 25% level now. 

I am just glad when I outpace my children, occasionally, on the casual stuff.

I am 15 years younger than our idol.

Bruce can do what makes him happy, I am good with that.  He and The E-Street Band have given me enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's, you have tempered my fears a bit :-).

If I can summarize the poll and the comments, I would say that Bruce and the band still have some great years of touring in them. Maybe not the high energy shows with running up and down the stage, jumping of piano's and falling on his knees, but still 2,5 hour shows with great music, adjusted setlists to fit his voice and energy level and lots of energy from the crowd.

I can settle for that!

• Like 1

I imagine a 2022 tour similar to the first incarnation of the reunion tour. Shorter shows, with a couple of key slow numbers in the middle of the main set. Not only this would fit his (and his band’s) age, but the casual audience as well. I guess the days of marathon shows are probably behind us, and I’m not talking of rock n’ roll in general.  

2 hours ago, Frank said:

I imagine a 2022 tour similar to the first incarnation of the reunion tour. Shorter shows, with a couple of key slow numbers in the middle of the main set. Not only this would fit his (and his band’s) age, but the casual audience as well. I guess the days of marathon shows are probably behind us, and I’m not talking of rock n’ roll in general.  

He could do himself a favour by just making the songs shorter.  Ramrod was 4:05 on the album, and on the 80/81 tour it was usually just under 5 minutes.   On Live in Barcelona it was a ridiculous 8:48.

If he just plays the songs without the neverending jam at the end, he could keep the same number of songs and shave at least half an hour off the show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

He could do himself a favour by just making the songs shorter.  Ramrod was 4:05 on the album, and on the 80/81 tour it was usually just under 5 minutes.   On Live in Barcelona it was a ridiculous 8:48.

If he just plays the songs without the neverending jam at the end, he could keep the same number of songs and shave at least half an hour off the show.

I'd rather have shorter songs and more of them  :D

13 hours ago, Thunder_road_belgium said:

Maybe not the high energy shows with running up and down the stage, jumping of piano's and falling on his knees, but still 2,5 hour shows with great music, adjusted setlists to fit his voice and energy level and lots of energy from the crowd.

I go to see Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band for the music.  I don't need acrobatics.  If that's what I wanted to see I'd go to a circus. 

15 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I go to see Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band for the music.  I don't need acrobatics.  If that's what I wanted to see I'd go to a circus. 

But if you're not there to see "a show", you could easily watch a video or listen to an album! We are there to "see a show"! I really don't see why we can't expect a full out ESB blow out show. 

That being said my last two shows were whole River album shows. My wife said to me, "we have never sat down through so much of a Bruce show ever" 

12 hours ago, Frank said:

This makes me feel old 

On the no nukes thread someone is talking about the 40th anniversary of B ITUSA 

It was only a few years ago surely :(

They play this 80s radio station at work - im 12/13/14 again 

59 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

But if you're not there to see "a show", you could easily watch a video or listen to an album! We are there to "see a show"! I really don't see why we can't expect a full out ESB blow out show. 

That being said my last two shows were whole River album shows. My wife said to me, "we have never sat down through so much of a Bruce show ever" 

Oh Jimmy

Two river '16 shows 

Which ones ?

I have them all

I'll listen to yours again

Yesterday i felt so down in the dumps over covid

I mean you know mostly its good to be here in an island(s) thousands of miles from everyone but how am i ever going to get out ? or how is Bruce ever going to get in ?

Managed isolation spots are almost impossible to get

Most of us are not even vacinated yet

I mean hopefully Bruce inc would get an arrangement to isolate at some luxury rural hideaway ?

But then there was a huge hugh and cry when the Wiggles got spots - i mean the Wiggles ? How could anyone hate the Wiggles? They make tiny small people really really  happy 

But this present regime is populating the politics of envy (soon someone will propose taxing happy thoughts, hopes and dreams) 

There are few flights to anywhere internationally  - i guess Bruce would fly in on a private jet 

We briefly had a travel bubble with next door but while it was active iy was paused more than it was open

Now things are really bad over there with multible states on harder and harder lock down (still not as hard a lock down as our one last year)

Kiwis were warned before booking flights if you get stuck over there because the boarder has to close its a risk they have to factor into their contingentcy plans  and that's exactly what's happened 

And now its the sky season and our slopes and ski towns  are empty of Australians 

We are chronically short of workers in all sorts of occupations and inflation is at a 20 year high and there is a housing crisis that neither party know how to fix 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

No comparison at all between a live show and a video/album!   The atmosphere, the people, the not quite knowing what will come next. 
But the performers jumping around? that doesn't really add anything for me.