Greasy Lake Community

Sways/Waves makes LA Times

25 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

And the problem is...? 

Hope you and family regardless of number of  legs are well Daisey

We are very well thank you Judge

A balmy 14 degrees C of a false spring today 

Got the washing line full and have gone out for fish & chips for lunch (don't tell Borris) ....and i got the covid traced app to actually work! 

Then Gary said and who are the apostles ?

Duh ! I said

The E Street band of course 

• Like 2

I always preferred sways as I think it’s a more gentle movement. An enjoyable article and hopefully some people will get to hear Thunder Road for the first time as a result. Hearing those first couple of lines you just know that the writer/singer is really special and is going to take you on a magical journey. A life changing song. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Gary asked what i was laughing at

So i told him

He replied "You quote him like its the bible" 

My wife asked me what I was laughing at.

So I read to her from the article, "... or he and his fastidious management team routinely signed off on misprinted lyrics."  It took a while to compose myself before finishing the article.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The correct answer is sways.

Way before most of the current posters became members there was one member who was legendary for giving out freebies.  If you don't know what a freebie is you haven't been here long enough.  Bruce was at an event where there was a Q&A session, she had a chance to ask him a question and her question was waves or sways.  His answer was sways.

7 minutes ago, burghfan said:

The correct answer is sways.

Way before most of the current posters became members there was one member who was legendary for giving out freebies.  If you don't know what a freebie is you haven't been here long enough.  Bruce was at an event where there was a Q&A session, she had a chance to ask him a question and her question was waves or sways.  His answer was sways.

That clown doesn't know what he's talking about!

I remember the first time I heard ‘Superstition’ by Stevie Wonder. I thought he was saying “Very superstitious, do things in your pants” when it was really “good things in your past”. Sometimes it ain’t easy to decipher these things. 

• Haha 1

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/springsteen-thunder-road-lyrics-will-be-corrected-jon-landau-sways-waves-1235022240/

I never even registered the lyric sheet even said waves 

Ive always been in the sways camp myself

How 'bout asking Mr Landau exactly what he has aganist Linda let me be the one or lonely night in the park for that matter ?

The lyrics weren't misheard - how I used to love reading every word on the album sleeves. It said 'waves' and that's what it's always been, always will be if I sing along to it.

Sways ... nah. Whoever typed out the lyrics did Bruce a favour - much more imaginative. As said above, Mary sways, her dress waves. As in the tide coming in, brainwaves ... rhythmic motion.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Eileen said:

The lyrics weren't misheard - how I used to love reading every word on the album sleeves. It said 'waves' and that's what it's always been, always will be if I sing along to it.

Sways ... nah. Whoever typed out the lyrics did Bruce a favour - much more imaginative. As said above, Mary sways, her dress waves. As in the tide coming in, brainwaves ... rhythmic motion.

I love lyric sheets 

The advantages to buying records is the printed word is a lot bigger than on the CD lyric sheet

But that doesnt  stop me 'making up' my own versions

I can't even sing along to hungry heart without getting a lot of the words wrong !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

Did you listen to the audio clip I posted above? The vocal take from the album of that line?

18 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Did you listen to the audio clip I posted above? The vocal take from the album of that line?

I'd like to hear a slightly longer version of that - it cuts off the 's' at the end. There's no 's' at the beginning.

It used to wave and now, cos he's been told it doesn't 'fit' he sings sways. Both are just dandy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I'd like to hear a slightly longer version of that - it cuts off the 's' at the end. There's no 's' at the beginning.

It used to wave and now, cos he's been told it doesn't 'fit' he sings sways. Both are just dandy.

No, there's a (short) s sound at the end. It does sound like he sings "Mary dress sways" though, without the s after Mary, but that's probably because of the isolation technique I used not being perfect. The important thing here is that there's no v sound (as in waves) in the last word of the clip.