Greasy Lake Community

Why didn't Bruce release more album during 1975-1987.

• Tenthavenuefreezeout changed the title to Why didn't Bruce release more album during 1975-1987.

Between those years we had Born to Run, Darkness on the edge of town, The River, Nebraska, Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love. That's six of the greatest albums of his career, and in my opinion enough to be getting on with. Born to Run took over a year to make, then there was the lawsuit etc.  He did have loads of songs written  for each album, but he was so meticulous back then about the type of songs he felt would fit onto each album that many were either put into the vaults or given to others. In my opinion, with maybe one or two exceptions according to people's own tastes, he got it right. Many songs from that period were eventually released on Tracks and hopefully many more will see the light of day with the next strongly rumoured release of archived material.

It wasn't really until the release of Born in the USA in 1984 that he received worldwide popularity. It was an album release of it's time (right in the middle of the MTV era), so the songs were given the chance to be heard by many more people than usual due to the age of video. It was a smart move commercially to release that album at the time he did. A decision very much driven by Landau though.

• Love Love Love! 1

I think more is not always better and I believe we got the best of what he had during those years. 

• Like 2

I think that time period is well represented and he made the best albums of his career during that timespan. I think when he looks back on it, and we look back on it, 87-2002 is the period that seems kind of lost. Especially the 90’s. Human Touch, Lucky Town, and Joad. That’s it. You did have Greatest Hits and Tracks. But only 3 studio albums. 

• Like 2

I think it was in late 1998 or early 1999 in an interview with Record Collector that Bruce said that he should have released more EPs of non-album songs in the past. I agree with that idea: imagine how many copies he could have sold during the tours from 1978 to 1988 (especially during BITUSA tour). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

He certainly have lots of songs.

If he release them with albums instead of Tracks boxset.he could been more popular.

I think you need to use a different online English translator.B)

9 hours ago, Wbt774 said:

Tracks. But only 3 studio albums. 

To me Tracks is a "new" studio album. As is The Promise and the 11 new songs on Ties That Bind. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

19 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

He certainly have lots of songs.

If he release them with albums instead of Tracks boxset.he could been more popular.

I'm not sure he could have been more popular than during the BITUSA era, I think that's just about the most popular he ever could have been. 

Also... I don't think any of the tracks songs would have made him more popular. 

Giving away some 'pop songs' that ended up on The Promise -like he did with Fire and Rendezvous-  could have made Bruce more popular in the late 70s as a songwriter for others.

As said in another post in this topic, he could have released stand-alone singles in the 70s and 80s (Sherry Darling was considered for a 'summer single' in 1978). Amd put non-album songs on the B-sides of singles pre-Hungry Heart.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J said:

I don't think any of the tracks songs would have made him more popular. 

Perhaps not more popular, but I think he could have had several more hits with non-album singles. 

If you take all the records, and then you add what was released from the vaults so far, you have one of the greatest catalogs in history.

In my mind, the outtakes make the choices he made for the albums better in most cases.

• Like 2

I’m not sure I’m following this correctly - he did release a lot of albums during those years! No, he didn’t do what Billy Joel did - which was basically release something nearly every year (maybe that’s why that guy hasn’t written one new song since 1993), but the years your mentioning were very productive for the guys. 

However, I don’t think anyone here doubts his success would have been more than what it was before 1984 had he released "The Promise” in 1977; which - as far as I’m concerned - is truly the fourth album.

Brad

With the exception of the Appel lawsuit and the post Born in the USA + seven singles mania, in that period he released an album every two years (one of which double). Except for Nebraska, he supposed these album by touring intensively. I don’t see much space for additional album releases. It’s in the nineties that he should have put out more music, IMHO.

If i dare to give my explanation (and i surely dare), it would have been something like this: Mr Springsteen has during the time from his first record to Tunnel of Love explored the relation between on one side the question of who he thinks he is and who he wants to be, and on the other of what the world is and what he wants it to be. His album during this time span is all and everyone stations on this road of his quest for a real, authentic life. Each album of his is expresses an specific form of this relation, and since his ambition is to as stringent as possible make this specific relation as clear and obvious as possible to him self and his audience, he chooses those songs that most clearly expresses  his view of his own place in the world.

Any other song, written at the same time, would only blur his message, and that is what he so seldom publish any more songs than those chosen for the album. (Later, of course, when he has surpassed the world-view in question, when he was freer, he can publish them, but then as tracks that the audience has to try to follow, i.e a a not so stringent way of his quest for his then asked for authentic life).

Not satisfied with the relation in which he live and which he has expressed in an album, he tries to express another relation in the next album; he is in his own life searching fo a new kind of relation, and tries to express this new relation in a new album. The new album has to be analog to his new world-view, and to reach a new world-view, is not just to make a new album, and so he has to evolve, before he can make the next album.

Alas, because his albums each and all expresses his existential relation to himself and the world, he can not publish any more album, then the one he publish.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:34 AM, estband said:

Because during the period in question Springsteen was an artistically conservative control freak (NEBRASKA notwithstanding).

I wonder how he managed to bring himself to hand that tape over?   Apparently Stevie had a role in convincing him (Stevie is involved in most of the coolest things Bruce has done).    But I bet Bruce needed some extra therapy sessions after that.

6 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I wonder how he managed to bring himself to hand that tape over? 

Because originally the tape, as it was, was not meant for release but as demos for the band?

29 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Because originally the tape, as it was, was not meant for release but as demos for the band?

I'm pretty sure for that purpose he would've given copies to the band.  I meant handing it over to the engineers and saying "make a record".