Greasy Lake Community

The Official NFL 2021 thread

burghfan

6 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Man I think referee really can decide who can win. What the fuck was that.

The officials have been told to make taunting a point of emphasis this year.  Marsh was facing the Pittsburgh sideline when he celebrated, the ref took that as taunting.  The ref's take is at the end of the article.

Chicago Bears LB Cassius Marsh says he was 'hip-checked' by ref before being hit with taunting penalty: 'Incredibly inappropriate'

44 minutes ago, burghfan said:

The officials have been told to make taunting a point of emphasis this year.  Marsh was facing the Pittsburgh sideline when he celebrated, the ref took that as taunting.  The ref's take is at the end of the article.

Chicago Bears LB Cassius Marsh says he was 'hip-checked' by ref before being hit with taunting penalty: 'Incredibly inappropriate'

Good!! Celebrate sure! But keep in mind tackles and sacks for losses is your job! 

Boy I wish I could go over to my competitors office and pump out my chest and dance in their lobby every time I beat them out of a bid! :D

• Haha 2

So here we are this week, yet another chance for a Tomlin era Steeler team to lose to a really bad team.  In this case, that's the league-worst-record Lions at 0-8.  Steelers have won 4 in a row to get to 5-3, and would seem to be in line for a sure win at home.  Ahhh, but not with Tomlin in charge.  As burghfan and I both know, the Tomlin era has been riddled with bad loses to really bad teams, despite the fact that Tomlin has never had a losing season as a head coach.  So I decided to do some research and here's the highlights (or lowlights) of bad Steeler loses since Tomlin took over in 2007.  Got a feeling another may be added to the list this week.

2007 loss to 1-8 Jets (Steelers were 7-2)

2009 loss to 2-7 Chiefs (Steelers were 6-3)

2009 loss to 3-8 Raiders (Steelers were 6-5)

2009 loss to 1-11 Browns (Steelers were 6-6)

2012 loss to 2-8 Browns (Steelers were 6-4)

2014 loss to an 0-3 Tampa Bay team that would finish 2-14

2014 loss to 1-8 Jets (Steelers were 6-3)

2017 loss to an 0-2 Bears team who would lose 9 of their other first 11 games and finish 5-11

2018 loss to 2-10 Raiders (Steelers were 7-4-1)

2019 loss to 5-9 Jets (Steelers were 8-6)

2020 loss to 2-10-1 Bengals (Steelers were 11-2)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gsquare said:

So here we are this week, yet another chance for a Tomlin era Steeler team to lose to a really bad team.  In this case, that's the league-worst-record Lions at 0-8.  Steelers have won 4 in a row to get to 5-3, and would seem to be in line for a sure win at home.  Ahhh, but not with Tomlin in charge.  As burghfan and I both know, the Tomlin era has been riddled with bad loses to really bad teams, despite the fact that Tomlin has never had a losing season as a head coach.  So I decided to do some research and here's the highlights (or lowlights) of bad Steeler loses since Tomlin took over in 2007.  Got a feeling another may be added to the list this week.

2007 loss to 1-8 Jets (Steelers were 7-2)

2009 loss to 2-7 Chiefs (Steelers were 6-3)

2009 loss to 3-8 Raiders (Steelers were 6-5)

2009 loss to 1-11 Browns (Steelers were 6-6)

2012 loss to 2-8 Browns (Steelers were 6-4)

2014 loss to an 0-3 Tampa Bay team that would finish 2-14

2014 loss to 1-8 Jets (Steelers were 6-3)

2017 loss to an 0-2 Bears team who would lose 9 of their other first 11 games and finish 5-11

2018 loss to 2-10 Raiders (Steelers were 7-4-1)

2019 loss to 5-9 Jets (Steelers were 8-6)

2020 loss to 2-10-1 Bengals (Steelers were 11-2)

In 2020 the Bengals were starting a backup QB after Burrow was out for the year.

I can't remember the year but the Steelers lost to the Browns when it was really cold, I think the temp was in the teens maybe colder.  The Steelers acted like they wanted to be anywhere other than out in the cold.  I put the blame on the coaching staff for not having them ready/wanting to play.

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Good!! Celebrate sure! But keep in mind tackles and sacks for losses is your job! 

Boy I wish I could go over to my competitors office and pump out my chest and dance in their lobby every time I beat them out of a bid! :D

I forget who said it but there is a quote about celebrating after a TD or big play that is along the lines of it's your job, act like you've done it before or maybe act like you aren't surprised.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, burghfan said:

I forget who said it but there is a quote about celebrating after a TD or big play that is along the lines of it's your job, act like you've done it before or maybe act like you aren't surprised.

Definitely heard something like that from Madden on many occasions.  "Act like you've been there before."

13 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

Definitely heard something like that from Madden on many occasions.  "Act like you've been there before."

When I was growing up I was a fan of the San Diego Chargers. In 1976 we traded for a WR named Charlie Joiner. He was a joy to watch. He would catch a pass, get tackled, get up and go back to the huddle for the next play. It didn't matter if it was one yard or fifty or if it was a simple catch or an amazing one. His reaction was always the same. He was never the fastest receiver but he ran routes with precision. He worked hard. When  he caught a touchdown he handed the ball to the ref and went back to the sideline.  He was, to me, the consummate professional. He acted like he had been there before and he was just doing his job and he did it very very well. He did not need to promote himself and make a big deal out of a catch, especially like some players today do when they make a tackle or get some yardage and they scream and yell like they won the game and their team is down by 20 points. The part of todays game that has really turned me off is when a player calls himself a warrior. Not even close. He is playing a game and goes home to his fancy house afterwards. I worked for the Navy, as a civilian for 34 years and I knew many real warriors and most of them were very humble people happy to be home with their family after being deployed for 6 months to a year.

Anyways just my two cents....

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

54 minutes ago, DarknessandHope said:

When I was growing up I was a fan of the San Diego Chargers. In 1976 we traded for a WR named Charlie Joiner. He was a joy to watch. He would catch a pass, get tackled, get up and go back to the huddle for the next play. It didn't matter if it was one yard or fifty or if it was a simple catch or an amazing one. His reaction was always the same. He was never the fastest receiver but he ran routes with precision. He worked hard. When  he caught a touchdown he handed the ball to the ref and went back to the sideline.  He was, to me, the consummate professional. He acted like he had been there before and he was just doing his job and he did it very very well. He did not need to promote himself and make a big deal out of a catch, especially like some players today do when they make a tackle or get some yardage and they scream and yell like they won the game and their team is down by 20 points. The part of todays game that has really turned me off is when a player calls himself a warrior. Not even close. He is playing a game and goes home to his fancy house afterwards. I worked for the Navy, as a civilian for 34 years and I knew many real warriors and most of them were very humble people happy to be home with their family after being deployed for 6 months to a year.

I remember him and agree.

Adding my 2 cents what really ticks me off is the showboating, flexing etc. done by a guy whose team is down 21 points etc.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarknessandHope said:

If I remember correctly, Jointer was part of the team when Don Coryell took over, great years. 

I remember the last few years of the Big Red (St. Louis Cardinals Football) when the Cardinals were playing in the East, Cowboys, Redskins, Giants and Eagles. I forget the players name for the Big Red, but he scored a touchdown late in a game v the Redskins. Got up did his little dance, and Redskin defender, just tapped him on the shoulder and showed him the scoreboard. Redskins 34 Cardinals 10 

• Like 2

I agree with the celebrations after routine plays, you're a pro, act like you expected to catch the pass or run for the 1st down, etc.  One that gets me is when a pass is incomplete because it was off-target and the DB signals incomplete like he had something to do with it not being caught.

• Like 2

OK, raise your hand if you know what roughing the passer is.

The group, if anybody, who raised their hands should not include the officials from the Baltimore-Miami game.

Play # 1 - Jackson is driven into the turn with a defender on top of him.

Play # 2 - Jackson is barely touched and remains upright.

Play # 2 is the one that gets the roughing the passer call.  The only thing I can come up with that makes any sense is that the officials realized the screwed up the call on play # 1 and the 2nd was a makeup call.

I'm not much of a gambler at all. I put a wager on the Colts maybe once or twice a year. But a buddy of mine called tonight, who happens to be a semi-pro handicapper. I mean the dude has graphs, books and charts to come up with a semi logical result. Told me to take the 7 points and the Dolphins. And if I want to really gamble take the under 46. I did put a wager on the Dolphins and 7. Not on over/under.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I'm not much of a gambler at all. I put a wager on the Colts maybe once or twice a year. But a buddy of mine called tonight, who happens to be a semi-pro handicapper. I mean the dude has graphs, books and charts to come up with a semi logical result. Told me to take the 7 points and the Dolphins. And if I want to really gamble take the under 46. I did put a wager on the Dolphins and 7. Not on over/under.

You can buy extra treats for that sick kitty!

On 11/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, Jimmy James said:

This year has been a total minefield to bet on. I normal stick all Sunday games in a accumulator and would normally be off by one or two. It’s almost impossible to pick 4 or 5 this season.

• Like 1