Greasy Lake Community

The Official NFL 2021 thread

burghfan

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes the uniforms were also a throwback, but very little change, on the sleeves there were 3 strips, current uniforms don't have that. 

Ah, so a throwback, but not an easy to spot one like the Steelers bumblebee, Tampa Bay creamsicle, or New England with the Patriot on the helmet.

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

#fly over gate

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/politics/nfl-flyover-investigation-military-faa/index.html

shocked to the patriots or Tom Brady not involved in this

Mike Vrabel, the Titans head coach was a teammate Tome Brady, and played for Bill Belichick.

AB has been suspended 3 games for having a fake vaccine card.  He isn't going to appeal so he will start serving the 3 games now.  He was already going to miss the next 2 games due to an ankle/heel injury so this is really like a 1 game suspension.  I think that he should have to miss 3 games that he is healthy enough to play in.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Antonio Brown suspended 3 games for COVID-19 violation

10 years ago there was a similar low flyover at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City - i dont know if this was lower or not but i saw it from the 8th floor of the hospital across teh street and i remember thinking i was actually higher up than the aircraft

if you look at the water tower i was just to the right of it if you can make out the UIHC on the hospital

Bose, or some other company that makes noise cancelling headphones, should sign the Cowboy DB who Hill jumped over because you know that he is going to hear about that.  The commercial could start by showing the play, then cut him with the headphones on smiling while his teammates roast him for the missed tackle.  At the end have a graphic that says tuning out the noise makes your day better or something like that.

@burghfan, here's a blast from the past about one of my top two favorite Steelers. 

Nick Saban tells how Mick Jagger helped turn Jack Lambert into an All-America linebacker

Maxwell Donaldson, The Tuscaloosa News

Thu, December 2, 2021, 9:56 PM

Nick Saban recounted a story on his weekly radio show appearance Thursday from his time as a player at Kent State when the team would work security for concerts around the area.

It was at one of those concerts that an occurrence created a circumstance that played a part in transforming future NFL Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert into an All-American.

Football players could make $50 by working concert security and getting a free show. The middle linebacker at the time, Bob Bender, was near the stage and knocked down an item that was thrown at Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger.

Jagger immediately hired Bender as part of his security team.

"Jack Lambert was a defensive end on our team and he was going into his junior year and we had this guy named Bob Bender who was the middle linebacker," Saban related. "... So we go do the Rolling Stones concert in Cleveland. There's about 20 of us on the football team, but you were security. You know, you stand on a stage and you stand on the mixer or whatever. You get 50 bucks you get to see the show free. I mean, it was like the best deal in town.

"So Bender's on the stage, Mick Jagger comes off (and) somebody tries to throw something on him, and Bender knocks it out of his hand. And Jagger calls a man and they hire him as a bodyguard."

Kent State, under coach Don James, played a 4-3 defense. With Bender off to work for the Rolling Stones, Lambert moved from defensive end to fill the middle linebacker spot.

Lambert became the key player in a goal-line stop against Miami-Ohio in a game for the conference championship.

Miami had first-and-goal at the 1-yard line and went with its running back, Bob Hitchens, who went on to his own NFL career. Four times in a row Hitchens tried to jump over the middle of the defense into the end zone, and all four times Lambert leaped up to meet him head-on and knock him back short of the goal line.

"They never score," Saban said. "It is the greatest, like, individual performance I've ever seen."

• Like 2

A friend took a guess for when tickets for Bruce at Three Rivers Stadium during the BITUSA tour would go on sale and was 1st in line with a couple of his friends.  They got tickets in the 1st 3 rows dead center, his girlfriend at the time is the one who danced with Bruce during DITD.

Anyway to the part that relates to sports and the post above from @gsquare.  Security would be around every few songs to try to get people to not stand on their chairs.  Most times people would either crouch down so they were at standing height or get down but still have 1 foot on their chair so they could get back up quicker/easier.  This was done only after much yelling from security.  Then a different security guy came and had slightly better results.  He would look at a section and raise an arm then lower it while pointing at the ground and people would sit.  For those brave enough to start to get back up as soon as he turned his back he would repeat the process.  People would eventually get back on the chairs after he was gone, but he was back to repeat the process a couple times.  The reason he was so good at it?  He looked like he could be a double for Jack Lambert.

The Detroit Lions beat the Minnesota Vikings to pick up their 1st win of the season.  That leaves the 2017 Cleveland Browns as the most recent team to not win a game.

With the win that really tightens up the race for the #1 overall pick.  The Lions with 1 win and 1 tie are only a 1/2 game up on Houston and Jacksonville who each have 2 wins.

The big news of the day, at least from this Steelers fan view, is the Steelers beat the Baltimore Ravens who came into the game with the best record in the AFC.

The win by the Steelers also moves them ahead of the Indianapolis Colts in the playoff hunt.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, burghfan said:

The Detroit Lions beat the Minnesota Vikings to pick up their 1st win of the season.  That leaves the 2017 Cleveland Browns as the most recent team to not win a game.

With the win that really tightens up the race for the #1 overall pick.  The Lions with 1 win and 1 tie are only a 1/2 game up on Houston and Jacksonville who each have 2 wins.

Vikings fucked my bullet proof 10 fold accumulator. I’m off to kick the cat.

Joe Starkey: T.J. Watt wins games, and the AFC North has gone nuts

The above article starts with the following.

The Steelers are 6-2 when T.J. Watt plays most of the game, 0-3-1 when he doesn’t.

That’s not an accident.

I could easily argue they are 6-0 when they have a healthy Watt, 0-5-1 when they don’t. He didn’t look right coming off injuries in Green Bay or Cincinnati, but I’ll stick with the 6-2 number. It’s telling enough.

58 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

image.thumb.png.fca0a4012225265fc71ec56a0011b113.png

When Big Ben re-did his contract to free up cap room some of the local reporters said it was structured so that it was essentially a 1 year contract.  For the last 5, maybe more, years there has been talk/speculation that he will retire.  Having the news come out that he may retire is kind of like hearing that Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, burghfan said:

When Big Ben re-did his contract to free up cap room some of the local reporters said it was structured so that it was essentially a 1 year contract.  For the last 5, maybe more, years there has been talk/speculation that he will retire.  Having the news come out that he may retire is kind of like hearing that Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

For sure.  I was more interested in the possibility that Strong from little old Nevada might be the QB of the future.  Especially today with "our" head coach leaving increasing the likelihood in my mind that Strong sits out the upcoming crappy bowl game against one of the Somedirectional Michigans.