Greasy Lake Community

The Official NFL 2021 thread

burghfan

1 hour ago, JudgeBrown said:

For sure.  I was more interested in the possibility that Strong from little old Nevada might be the QB of the future.  Especially today with "our" head coach leaving increasing the likelihood in my mind that Strong sits out the upcoming crappy bowl game against one of the Somedirectional Michigans.  

I knew that you posted due to who the potential pick was, I was just pointing out that the news/rumor of Ben retiring isn't that new.

What is the knee issue that is mentioned?  Is he injured, healthy, or back but still not 100%?

I may have to take back my comparison of Mac Jones and Trent Dilfer.  Dilfer only played for the Ravens 1 year, in 2000, when they won their 1st Super Bowl, I was thinking that he played more than just the 1 year for them.  The fewest passes he attempted was 22.  It doesn't seem fair to compare him to somebody who only attempted 3 passes.

23 hours ago, burghfan said:

I knew that you posted due to who the potential pick was, I was just pointing out that the news/rumor of Ben retiring isn't that new.

What is the knee issue that is mentioned?  Is he injured, healthy, or back but still not 100%?

Unclear. Missed senior HS season due to significant knee injury that still concerns NFL teams. Definitely can make NFL throws.  A throwback pocket guy not a dual threat.  I think the arm alone gets him on a roster but after that who knows?

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

chick fil a employees get choice of free car, cash or steelers tickets!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/chick-fil-a-franchisee-gift-her-employees-new-car-rent-cash-or-steelers-tickets/JQSGQOFEE5BCHAOK3WZDEDZZWM/

i wonder what sort of person would choose steelers tickets @burghfan

https://twitter.com/CFARobinson/status/1468223935150010368

Twitter post with video.

40 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Why go for 2 there, ops Viking TD.

My guess is that if you make it you are within 1 score, if you don't you are 2 scores down and you know how desperate you need to be.  If you wait until the 2 point conversion would tie the game and don't convert there may not be enough time on the clock to get another score.

12 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Very productive week for my Colts. Steelers, Bills, Bengals and Raiders all go down. Thanks for opening the door. Can't believe I was actually rooting for Tom Brady and The KC Chiefs.  

Colts up to the 6 seed! 

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Colts up to the 6 seed! 

JJ's statement is true.

But it is hard to tell how good the Colts are, 2 of the wins are against teams that currently have a winning record and one of those teams (49'ers) had a losing record when they played.  4 of the wins are against Houston, Jacksonville, & the Jets who as of now would pick #2, 3 & 4 in the draft.  Also, the Colts were swept by the Titans.

The next 2 weeks will give an idea of how good they are as they face the 2 teams that have the #1 seed in their conference.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Jimmy James said:

Why go for 2 there, ops Viking TD.

One of the Steelers writers has an "Asked and Answered" column a few times a week where he answers questions sent in by fans.  This was in today's column.

BRADLEY DYLL FROM HERMITAGE, PA: I have a question about the Steelers attempting a 2-point conversion when trailing by 9, 29-20, with 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Steelers did not succeed, and it put them in a 2-score situation late in the game. I thought that was the wrong call when an extra point would have kept them within one score. Watching the Ravens-Browns, the Ravens did the exact same thing. Am I missing something about going for the 2-point conversion instead of the extra point?
ANSWER: If it were my decision on Thursday night, I would've kicked the extra point to make the score, 29-21, because I always have believed the best way to handle it was to go for a 2-point conversion only when it became necessary either to tie a game or take a late lead.

After the loss to the Browns, Ravens Coach John Harbaugh was asked about why he made the same decision in Baltimore's loss to Cleveland. "It was pretty much a standard, really, non-decision," Harbaugh said. "You do it at that point in time because you're gonna have to get a 2-point conversion. So you understand if you get it or don't get it early, where you are going from there, how many possessions you're going to need and what you're gonna have to do. If you wait until the last 2-point conversion and you don't get it, the game is over. You've lost. So you try it early. We're in a 7-point game? We know where we stand. We don't get it, we're in a 9-point game and we know that we need two possessions."

When CBS switched back to the studio in New York after the Ravens-Browns game ended and before coverage of San Francisco-Cincinnati began, Bill Cowher criticized Harbaugh's decision and blamed analytics. During the segment, Cowher made the point that instead of consulting analytics, coaches instead should use more common sense. I don't know that one viewpoint is definitively correct, but those are two successful coaches explaining why they believe what they believe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, burghfan said:

JJ's statement is true.

But it is hard to tell how good the Colts are, 2 of the wins are against teams that currently have a winning record and one of those teams (49'ers) had a losing record when they played.  4 of the wins are against Houston, Jacksonville, & the Jets who as of now would pick #2, 3 & 4 in the draft.  Also, the Colts were swept by the Titans.

The next 2 weeks will give an idea of how good they are as they face the 2 teams that have the #1 seed in their conference.

Well playing the Patriots this coming weekend, Wentz will need to be the man, because you know for a fact Belichick will take Taylor out of the game. I actually believe we can beat the Cardinals now after watching last night performance. The only problem with the Cardinal game is it's Christmas Night? I'm writing the Patriots game off as a lose, and then win 3 in row and into the playoff's