Greasy Lake Community

The Official NFL 2021 thread

burghfan

4 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Why he starts harassing him for no reason?

There was a reason to harass/block him.  Brady was trying to head down field towards where the Eagles were in the process of returning the INT.

Brady should have done like Peyton Manning did when he threw an INT, put his head down, jog towards the nearest sideline, and go away from the line of scrimmage and the action.  Do that and the defense has no reason to block/harass you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Can everyone here be a Colt fan for a day Sunday? We play the Houston Texans! My clan and I will be at the game. Pic's to follow! 

I whole day seems like a lot, I can do a few hours.

I was checking to see what the point spread was, Colts are favored by 10, and saw that that game has the cheapest tickets available ($22) of any game this weekend, next cheapest at $35 is Cincy at Detroit.

Just now, JudgeBrown said:

Is Johnny Unitas playing? If so sure.

Seriously sure.  I am still in baseball depression mode so I am open to anything.  Well almost. I would not support the Cowboys.  Go Colts.

18 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

I'm sure they will beat Texans.

Meanwhile let's root against Patriots . since you all hate them.

Root against the Patriots?

No problem, be happy to. 

By the way I have lots of experience doing this already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a slight problem with me rooting for the pats to lose today.  I didn't realize that they were playing the Cowboys.

I think the best case scenario would be the game ends in a tie.

OK, a couple quick facts for people jumping on the Colts bandwagon today.

The best player ever for them was Johnny Unitas.  He was born in Pittsburgh, was drafted and cut by the Steelers before playing for the Colts.

The longest tenured coach for the Colts was Ted Marchibroda.  He coached his 1st game for them in 1975 and the last in 1995.  Fun fact - Ted Marchibroda was born in my home town of Franklin PA.

55 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Looks like NFC are more competitive.

They have 4 team 5-1  1 team 6-0

This is strange. Because NFCwere beat up by AFC in pre season.

While the NFC does have 4 teams that are 5-1 and Arizona at 6-0 none of the other teams in the Conference are above .500 and Detroit is 0-6.

Preseason records don't mean much.  Some teams try to win way more than others.  Some teams want to work on getting some reps running the ball, or pass blocking, or seeing how a WR reads the D, while they want to see if a CB is good in man coverage, can a LB cover a TE, etc.

The Steelers picked up the win, but typical of a Mike Tomlin coached team it was way closer than it needed to be.

I don't know the tuck rule that well but it looked like Ben's fumble should/could have fell under that.

I thought at the end of regulation that time got added to the clock, like it stopped at 16 but was at 18 when they lined up for the next play.  If what I think I saw for the clock is right the Seahawks don't get to kick the field goal to tie.

TJ Watt showed that he is worth the contract he signed just before the season, 7 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 2 QB hits, and the forced fumble in OT.

I saw an article on ESPN that had this about the tuck rule.

With the Tuck Rule -- one that said any ball that left a quarterback's hand was a forward pass -- no longer in effect, once the ball starts coming back toward the quarterback's body, the passing motion is over, and it's therefore not a forward pass. Instead, it's a fumble.

"I was told that even though the ball was going forward, my arm was going backwards," Roethlisberger said. "I had to ask Josh Dobbs, who's an aerospace engineer, how that works. He said it's not possible. I can't get fined for that because I'm just telling you what Dobbs said."

19 hours ago, burghfan said:

I thought at the end of regulation that time got added to the clock, like it stopped at 16 but was at 18 when they lined up for the next play.  If what I think I saw for the clock is right the Seahawks don't get to kick the field goal to tie.

I disagree burghfan.  It looked to me that they clocked it with 1 second left on the clock, so they would have the opportunity to get the field goal team out there.

My question is WTF was Metcalf thinking in not going out of bounds immediately after his catch?  They have no time outs, they're already in field goal range, he's not gonna get a huge amount of extra yardage or score, and he could have been tackled in bounds also.  Real bonehead play on his part.

Seahawks' DK Metcalf responds to Shannon Sharpe's criticism of late-game decision vs. Steelers: 'Stop questioning me'

On 10/18/2021 at 8:22 PM, gsquare said:

I disagree burghfan.  It looked to me that they clocked it with 1 second left on the clock, so they would have the opportunity to get the field goal team out there.

My question is WTF was Metcalf thinking in not going out of bounds immediately after his catch?  They have no time outs, they're already in field goal range, he's not gonna get a huge amount of extra yardage or score, and he could have been tackled in bounds also.  Real bonehead play on his part.

Seahawks' DK Metcalf responds to Shannon Sharpe's criticism of late-game decision vs. Steelers: 'Stop questioning me'

Yes, the Seahawks did spike the ball to stop the clock with 1 second left.  I am talking about when I think the Seahawks took their last time out, the clock was showing 16 seconds, when the next play, Metcalf fumble, started there were 18 seconds.  If the 2 seconds aren't added there the Seahawks don't spike the ball in time.

Former ref and current CBS Sports NFL rules analyst Gene Steratore says Tomlim has a valid point about the replay at the end of regulation.

Former NFL Referee Responds To Mike Tomlin's Replay Criticism

8 hours ago, burghfan said:

It appears that the Colts aren't, or weren't, as high on Jacob Eason as @Jimmy James

Seattle Seahawks claim QB Jacob Eason off waivers with Russell Wilson still on IR

That makes no sense, and will come back to bite them. 

Unless there is something behind the scene's that I don't see? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

That makes no sense, and will come back to bite them. 

Unless there is something behind the scene's that I don't see? 

I don't know what the rule is for moving somebody from the 53 man roster to the practice squad is but they may have been trying to put him there and he had to be put on waivers as part of the process, if so a risky move that bit them.

I would think that if they didn't see he had a future with them that they would have tried to trade him before putting him on waivers.  If they did that means that the other 31 teams thought the Colts were asking too much, or didn't want to give up anything for him.

• Sad 1