Greasy Lake Community

Garry Tallent bio book?

Looks like there is a book from Nicki Germain in the works,  photographer and sweetheart to Garry Tallent. Could this be a GWT bio? If that will be the case, then count me in. Garry Talent has always been one of the more straightforward E-Streeters. I remember very well a tweet from him after the last indoor 2016 Brooklyn NY show where Jon Landau announced backstage to the E-Streeters that the nightly full River shows would be discontinued for European tour: he only did trust the announcement when Bruce himself confirmed it during that Brooklyn show to the audience, otherwise he would not listen to what Jon Landau is saying. That's my guy!!!!!

447554805_GarryTalentbio.JPG.ba6b9fa5e19dd2d1d177907c7d69551f.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Have applications been accepted for a new bass player yet? 

Bruce said that the E-Street band is immortal, so I guess the E-Street kids are gearing up

tumblr_n3vh69iLzj1s8qf8no1_500.jpg.7a6c867c480704daf138dba988b3ace8.jpg

E Street kids! Evan Springsteen, Olivia Tallent, Ryan Bittan, Alex Bittan, Jay Weinberg, Ali Weinberg, and Isaac Tallent.

• Love Love Love! 2

Here’s what Garry had to say in Backstreets magazine #42 in the Spring of 1993:

“People ask me if I miss working with Bruce and the E Street Band and for certain reasons I do, but for other reasons I don’t.”

Tallent joined Springsteen on stage in Lexington, Kentucky, during the Boss’s recent tour. “It wasn’t a whole lot of fun,” continues Tallent. “It got me thinking that maybe the band should have ended after the Born in the USA tour. Even the Tunnel of Love tour wasn’t the real thing. The magic was gone. It really was.”

Does Tallent envision an E Street Band – Springsteen reunion sometime in the future?

It’s the furthest thing from my mind,” says Tallent, smiling. “To tell you the truth, I hope if the call came, that I’d be so busy with my own projects that I’d have to turn down the invitation. We all have to move on, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bruce The Boss said:

Here’s what Garry had to say in Backstreets magazine #42 in the Spring of 1993:

“People ask me if I miss working with Bruce and the E Street Band and for certain reasons I do, but for other reasons I don’t.”

Tallent joined Springsteen on stage in Lexington, Kentucky, during the Boss’s recent tour. “It wasn’t a whole lot of fun,” continues Tallent. “It got me thinking that maybe the band should have ended after the Born in the USA tour. Even the Tunnel of Love tour wasn’t the real thing. The magic was gone. It really was.”

Does Tallent envision an E Street Band – Springsteen reunion sometime in the future?

It’s the furthest thing from my mind,” says Tallent, smiling. “To tell you the truth, I hope if the call came, that I’d be so busy with my own projects that I’d have to turn down the invitation. We all have to move on, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Good call, I no longer have that issue of Backstreets but I remember the interview well.

I was in Lexington at the 12/17/92 show and it was quite a surprise when Garry was introduced and came out on stage.  He played on "Glory Days" (and maybe one other), if memory serves.

FWIW, Garry also said in another interview a couple of years later that he wasn't thrilled with the short notice he was given for the Greatest Hits sessions.  He said he was called on a Thursday and was told to report to the studio the following Monday.

And as we know from Carlin's BRUCE bio, Garry was so underwhelmed and offended by INC's lowball offer to join the Reunion Tour that he initially told them "no thanks".  Classic.

• Like 1

Remember late last year as well when the band were playing live on TV a couple of songs from Letter to you on some American talk show, and Garry refused to travel from Nashville to New York as he was concerned about Covid safety. They had to use another bassist. He is a strong willed guy. Glad he changed his mind about joining up with the band in 1999 for the reunion. It wouldn't be the ESB without it's longest standing member. A brilliant bass player as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, el sergio said:

Bruce said that the E-Street band is immortal, so I guess the E-Street kids are gearing up

tumblr_n3vh69iLzj1s8qf8no1_500.jpg.7a6c867c480704daf138dba988b3ace8.jpg

E Street kids! Evan Springsteen, Olivia Tallent, Ryan Bittan, Alex Bittan, Jay Weinberg, Ali Weinberg, and Isaac Tallent.

techically there is a whole other bunch of e-street kids - all 3 of Danny's have played with the band and well Clarence has about 5 kids correct? i think two have played at shows

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AMIW said:

techically there is a whole other bunch of e-street kids - all 3 of Danny's have played with the band and well Clarence has about 5 kids correct? i think two have played at shows

Bruce has 2 more kids himself.

Patti also has 3 kids. :D:lol::D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Remember late last year as well when the band were playing live on TV a couple of songs from Letter to you on some American talk show, and Garry refused to travel from Nashville to New York as he was concerned about Covid safety. They had to use another bassist. He is a strong willed guy. Glad he changed his mind about joining up with the band in 1999 for the reunion. It wouldn't be the ESB without it's longest standing member. A brilliant bass player as well.

I thought Garry made the right call as did Soozie 

3 songs on tv are not worth getting covid over 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:48 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

I thought Garry made the right call as did Soozie 

3 songs on tv are not worth getting covid over 

Did anyone in the band get Covid? 

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Did anyone in the band get Covid? 

Luckily not that we know but checks out what's happening across the ditch https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300361573/covid19-close-contacts-top-15000-as-superspreaders-spark-new-stadium-cases-in-australia

Under the threat of losing his deal with Columbia, Springsteen’s future was riding on the success or failure of Born To Run, and he meticulously wrote, and re-wrote, and re-wrote its verses, and obsessively recorded, and re-recorded, and re-recorded every detail in aim of perfection—working his E Street soldiers like a general entrenched in a fight for life. But despite the lore of high stakes historically framing the album’s gestation, E Street bassist Garry Tallent paints a less dramatic picture. “It was very organic,” Tallent tells American Songwriter, “we were all kind of caught up in doing it, and we didn’t think too much about it …We just tried to make it sound right, and tried to make it feel right.”

“Thunder Road was one of those songs that, with the pictures that the words gave you—it was just real immediate, and we said, ‘Yeah, okay! This is a great song, let’s work on this. Let’s make this happen,” says Tallent.

https://americansongwriter.com/behind-the-song-thunder-road/

Gosh, Garry Tallent really has something different to say. Up until now Garry Tallent contributions were seldom. He did include his recollections from that legendary 1974 Cambridge concert in the Barry Schneier book. But his contributions were suspiciously absent from the Brian Hiatt book. Roll on that bio!

• Like 1

So is this actually a thing or just guessing/hoping? I would love to read a book from him. Different perspective and not afraid to speak truthfully.

22 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

So is this actually a thing or just guessing/hoping? I would love to read a book from him. Different perspective and not afraid to speak truthfully.

I put in a question mark in the topic title. It is all based on this tweet from Nicki Germaine (=sweet heart from Garry Tallent)+ responses. So what do you make out of it?

447554805_GarryTalentbio.JPG.ba6b9fa5e19dd2d1d177907c7d69551f.JPG.853183ce3ae7d7f5d99db70fc9db3619.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

Upbeat Book Lover Edie @BookUpbeat

15 jul. Awesome! When will we be able to buy an autographed copy?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nicki Germaine @Nicki_Germaine

15 jul. We are probably looking at the fall of 2022. But who knows? If it’s sooner, my Twitter friends will hear it first! It’s pretty darned exciting!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis @wow2wow

A GWT bio? I'm there

Pre-Estreet band

-----------------------------------------------------------

That Pre-Estreet band remark might be interesting. Garry Tallent kept some kind of picture archive from that era, check it out here https://www.garrytallent.com/#about

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, el sergio said:

I put in a question mark in the topic title. It is all based on this tweet from Nicki Germaine (=sweet heart from Garry Tallent)+ responses. So what do you make out of it?

447554805_GarryTalentbio.JPG.ba6b9fa5e19dd2d1d177907c7d69551f.JPG.853183ce3ae7d7f5d99db70fc9db3619.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

Upbeat Book Lover Edie @BookUpbeat

15 jul. Awesome! When will we be able to buy an autographed copy?

-------------------------------------------------------------

15 jul. We are probably looking at the fall of 2022. But who knows? If it’s sooner, my Twitter friends will hear it first! It’s pretty darned exciting!

Dennis @wow2wow

A GWT bio? I'm there

Pre-Estreet band

-----------------------------------------------------------

That Pre-Estreet band remark might be interesting. Garry Tallent kept some kind of picture archive from that era, check it out here https://www.garrytallent.com/#about

Hmmmmm….. interesting. Certainly looks like a book coming out. What does the response “Pre-Estreet Band” mean? If the book is about his time pre-E Street, I’m not interested. 

I remember that Gary said during the TOL tour, he was about to quit. Until at one show they played Badlands again and he stayed. Does anyone know what show this was? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I remember that Gary said during the TOL tour, he was about to quit. Until at one show they played Badlands again and he stayed. Does anyone know what show this was? 

Badlands was only played at the very end of the Tunnel Tour. Must be the show where Badlands made its tour debut, in Munich 17 July 1988.  (BTW the next show after Munich was the East Berin show).

• Like 1