Greasy Lake Community

Underrated rare live songs

While listening to (part) of the Leeds 2013 concert I was struck by how good 'Local Hero' and 'Gotta Get That Feeling' were and even more struck when I learned both songs have been hardly sung live ('Local Hero' of course with the other band, but only twice with the E-Street Band since 1999). I find both songs underrated and feel they should (could) have been played more. 

What do you think and, also, are there more songs like this that you, personally, feel should (could) have been played more? 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Wish he would have played The Wrestler more...sounded brilliant on the 2009 WOAD tour, but I don't think it has been played again in any subsequent tour.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

While listening to (part) of the Leeds 2013 concert I was struck by how good 'Local Hero' and 'Gotta Get That Feeling' were and even more struck when I learned both songs have been hardly sung live ('Local Hero' of course with the other band, but only twice with the E-Street Band since 1999). I find both songs underrated and feel they should (could) have been played more. 

What do you think and, also, are there more songs like this that you, personally, feel should (could) have been played more? 

I can only answer this with one word ....HORNS !!!

• Love Love Love! 2

10 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Wish he would have played The Wrestler more...sounded brilliant on the 2009 WOAD tour, but I don't think it has ben played again in any subsequent tour.

That is correct. It only has been played live 21 times between March 23rd, 2009 and June 4th, 2009. 

Chimes of Freedom. Performed on the European leg of the TOL tour and the Human Rights tour. One of my favorite covers. Just awesome. Hasn’t been played since 1988.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Wish he would have played The Wrestler more...sounded brilliant on the 2009 WOAD tour, but I don't think it has been played again in any subsequent tour.

I think the slower songs are always replaced by newer slower songs. Jack of All Trades took the Wrestlers spot. Then The Wall took JOAT spot. And so on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Another one that I really like (also played in Leeds 2013) is 'Secret Garden'. Another beautiful song played not often enough.

• Like 6

All songs -well, most of them- from Tunnel, Rising, Magic and WOAD that were not played that often, or never again, after the tour in support of their album.

Some of them were regulars on their tours, or maybe even played every night, but not that much, or never again, after that tour; or never played that often anyway (especially the WOAD songs).

Assuming we are talking about ESB; for songs from non-ESB albums it is understandable (sort of) they are, or were, rarities on ESB Tours.

As 1) guilty of the most unpopular post in the history of Greasy Lake, and 2) Not a big fan of rarities, I'll leave it to that.

(Edit: 'Not a big fan of rarities'; maybe that is also an unpopular post?)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

21 minutes ago, Lampi said:

All songs -well, most of them- from Tunnel, Rising, Magic and WOAD that were not played that often, or never again, after the tour in support of their album.

Some of them were regulars on their tours, or maybe even played every night, but not that much, or never again, after that tour; or never played that often anyway (especially the WOAD songs).

Assuming we are talking about ESB; for songs from non-ESB albums it is understandable (sort of) they are, or were, rarities on ESB Tours.

As 1) guilty of the most unpopular post in the history of Greasy Lake, and 2) Not a big fan of rarities, I'll leave it to that.

(Edit: 'Not a big fan of rarities'; maybe that is also an unpopular post?)

As always your contribution is appreciated! 

13 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

This may be a tangent to your original question, but I did like the fact that Bruce gave the E Street treatment to many of the 1992 songs on the final leg of The Rising tour in 2003.  Sadly that trend didn’t really continue after that.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

59 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Cynthia 

Week on the highway (some of us never got the 2016 river tour)

Better a week on the highway than weak on the highway haha!

• Haha 1

There are a ton of songs that deserve to get more play. 

For whatever reason, I feel like all of the war horses from the Rising (Lonesome Day, Sunny Day, Mary's Place, and The Rising) should be retired for a while. They have been regulars at E Street shows for almost 20 years now. 

That would free up some space for less frequently played, but great songs like Downbound Train, Gypsy Biker, Streets of Fire, Kingdom of Days, If Wish I Was Blind...

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

I wanted to list the American beauty EP songs but when i checked on Eddy's site none had been played live :(

Bruce must have forgotten all about them

I hope they get included on tracks 2 

• Love Love Love! 1

13 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Another one that I really like (also played in Leeds 2013) is 'Secret Garden'. Another beautiful song played not often enough.

I was going to say this,was a totally unexpected surprise,took me a few seconds to realise what it was as never thought I would hear it live,just closed my eyes & thought of Clarence on the sax outro. 

90's Bruce gets some stick but it's a very interesting period.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I was listening to the Sessions Band show from 2006 at Wembley Arena recently and I was lucky enough to have been at that show.

The version of Devils and Dust with the sessions band that night was absolutely magnificent. I really wish he would have played it more often since, as i'm sure given a similar sort of treatment from the ESB it would have evolved into a regularly played classic. However like so many songs from D & D it's rarely played now.

Also, infamously, hardly any songs from WOAD were played after that tour, and even in the later stages of the tour itself. To be honest, much as I quite liked the album, the songs really didn't translate well into live performance...possibly Outlaw Pete excepted. Even Kingdom of Days sounded a bit forced in concert I thought.

• Love Love Love! 1