Greasy Lake Community

Acoustic closing songs

While listening today too @JimCT's recording of Los Angeles, November 4th, 1984 I couldn't help but notice, and play on repeat a couple of times, the beautiful and excellent acoustic version of 'No Surrender' and I thought it would have been very nice to have had that played to close some concerts as he did with 'Thunder Road' and 'This Hard Land'. 

What do you think about the acoustic closing songs and are there any other songs you would have wanted to hear? 

18 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

While listening today too @JimCT's recording of Los Angeles, November 4th, 1984 I couldn't help but notice, and play on repeat a couple of times, the beautiful and excellent acoustic version of 'No Surrender' and I thought it would have been very nice to have had that played to close some concerts as he did with 'Thunder Road' and 'This Hard Land'. 

What do you think about the acoustic closing songs and are there any other songs you would have wanted to hear? 

“The Promised Land” was a nice acoustic closing song on the Joad tour

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

That is my personal favorite version of No Surrender, bar none. It is a completely different song than the full-band, fist-pumping, campaign-event version that the song has become. But that moment in time, when Bruce was on the road experiencing huge commercial success but without his dear friend Steve, with whom he had experienced the last 20 years, truly brings out the love he has for his absent friend. You can't help but ache with him. But I'd caution that the emotional context of that performance is "of that moment" and unique - it doesn't last forever, not in the same way. That is after all what we want from live performances: not the rote repetition of the studio performances but performances infused with the emotions of the performer, of the audience, even of the society. That first performance of 41 Shots at MSG in June, 2000 cannot be duplicated.

For the complementary experience of Steve's expression of love for his friend Bruce, you need to go the the closing night at the Meadowswamp, 1984-08-20, and that marvelous first-time performance of Drift Away, with Steve's, "Thanks for the 20 years you've given me." ~@2:35 Another performance "of the moment", unique and so very special.

I was lucky enough to be at both. Grown men wept, gladly.

If my recording of 11/4 captured and preserved that moment so that more than 35 years later you can recognize and experience it afresh, that's just wonderful!

• Love Love Love! 5

My Beautiful Reward closed quite some shows in 1992-1993 (or maybe only in 1992).

Dream Baby Dream was a very special closing song in 2005, but also something to experience in person, with hearing it on audio on recordings of 2005 shows not quite capturing the magic of the personal experience. And the studio version on High Hopes is just dull.

My Best Was Never Good Enough at the one Joad Tour show I saw (Rotterdam 1996) was just a weird ending (just as the studio version is a weird ending to the Joad album).

And I don't think acoustic No Surrender would be a good closer of a show (maybe more a good opener?).

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

He has played Incident a couple of times on acoustic guitar, although not at regular shows. I think that, followed by Thunder Road, would be a great ending.

• Love Love Love! 2

…if you stuck around after the last encore of each show on The Rising Tour, while your fellow fans filed out of the arena where you’d all been transported for the last three hours, you’d see and hear this remarkable arrangement being played out on the video screens in the starkly lit, empty arena:

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

16 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

My vote dream baby dream from D&D tour 

Mesmerising. 

Is that fully acoustic though seeing as he played it on an organ? Although I guess once he stood up and the music kept playing.... It doesn't get much more unplugged than that. :D

• Haha 1

I assumed the question here was an acoustic closer to a full blown ESB show - I don't regard any of the solo (acoustic!) tours to be included here (and whilst My Beautiful Reward was a lovely show ending back in 92/93 it was far from acoustic!). I've seen quite a few (several of them mentioned already here) but nothing tops Thunder Road - the only downside being that one has therefore not heard a full band version of TR during the evening/show - but it is a great way to finish (if intent in doing so in that fashion).

As for ones I'd like to hear - I'd love to see Bruce be bold enough to leave either Born To Run or Dancing in the Dark out of the main show and do BTR in the same vein as during the TOL tour (excellent!) - or - DITD the way he did it during the 92/93 shows which was on his own but with an electric guitar - needless to say both songs are big crowd pleasers and appeal to the masses and in that sense either one would go down a storm I think.  It is unlikely (he would be that bold) and therefore coing off the subs bench (again if we are not to get it, full band, during the night) I also think Land of Hope and Dreams would be pretty cool...........but I'm fairly confident (ahve convinced myself anyway) that we will be sent home at the end of the night on the next tour with I'll See You in My Dreams and a solo acoustic version of that would be a poignant way to close out the night........so of all of these I think that is the most likely (to end the night - but of course may not be acoustic!?...........but it WOULD work!). 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, J said:

Mesmerising. 

Is that fully acoustic though seeing as he played it on an organ? Although I guess once he stood up and the music kept playing.... It doesn't get much more unplugged than that. :D

Seen this is Pittsburgh 2014. Yes and a bit emotional for me as it was the last show for awhile, until The River 2016 popped up out of nowhere. 

The Pump Organ kept playing as he walked to the front of stage and said that the E-Street Band loves you. 

• Love Love Love! 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, JimCT said:

marvelous first-time performance of Drift Away, with Steve's, "Thanks for the 20 years you've given me." ~@2:35 Another performance "of the moment", unique and so very special.

I was lucky enough to be at both

I think that performance of Drift Away is one of the greatest things ever done.  You were truly blessed. 

• Love Love Love! 2

2 hours ago, muscum said:

I think that performance of Drift Away is one of the greatest things ever done.  You were truly blessed. 

If you're not familiar with the No Surrender the OP mentioned, listen to that Drift Away again, and then this.

• Love Love Love! 2

10 hours ago, JimCT said:

If you're not familiar with the No Surrender the OP mentioned, listen to that Drift Away again, and then this.

This No Surrender is fantastic and I've always thought the acoustic version far superior to the electric - I've seen him do the electric version more than 20 times but never the acoustic :angry:

I'm not complaining though as I've attended a lot of shows and got 99% of my bucket list songs.  Acoustic closing numbers that stand out for me are the 2013 Irish This Hard Land citied by Buddhabone

12 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

This Hard Land from Ireland in 2013

and If I Should Fall Behind from Leeds also in 2013.

The singing here is so powerful that even the drunken idiots shouting "we love you Bruce" etc, couldn't hide the beauty of the performance.

• Love Love Love! 1