Greasy Lake Community

No Nukes Concert Film Coming!!!

8 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I had assumed that they would be able to stich them together easily, but I've just checked the clips and the clothes are noticeably different between the two nights. It will be interesting to see how they've decided to approach it.

I reckon there will be short stories in between songs just like we had with the song intros on the Western Stars film. Firstly it pads it out just like WS, and secondly it gets around the clothes changes from the two nights. There might also be a similar “songs from the film” audio-only release, mixed by Bob Clearmountain. 

• Like 2

Best Springsteen-related news I've heard in quite a while, although (due to the main setlist being identical on both nights) it's going to be a fairly short one, and I highly doubt there's much extra footage for any kind of bonus feature. Still, no complaints from me. Bring it on!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

My first time seeing a theatrically filmed E Street Band .....The Section of the film with "Quarter To Three" grabbed me by my throat and never let go ...i couldn't believe what i was seeing ........High quality footage of this would be nice to have i think !!!

Fingers crossed for you.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Of course, with it being composite, the cake and Lynn stuff will be handled sensitively.

And that is not all. To make it still more juicy there is also a spoofing James Brown drama during Quarter to Three — a nurse (Joyce Heiser, the other girlfriend) and two attendants in white coats lugging Bruce offstage on a stretcher, and then Springsteen bounding back onstage, as if revived by the band’s continued playing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, el sergio said:

And that is not all. To make it still more juicy there is also a spoofing James Brown drama during Quarter to Three — a nurse (Joyce Heiser, the other girlfriend) and two attendants in white coats lugging Bruce offstage on a stretcher, and then Springsteen bounding back onstage, as if revived by the band’s continued playing

Never knew that. Tnx.

show-photo.jpg.7781d8cb83cc956a2b585c2dc73e9114.jpg

The next night was far less joyous.  And as Springsteen took the stage, and the chanting and roaring of “Brooooce” once more filled the room, it seemed like an instant replay. But it was Springsteen’s thirtieth birthday, a milestone in the life of any rock star, and one that he seemed to take especially hard. “Well, I’m over thirty now,” he said, after enough cries of Happy Birthday had reached the stage. “I guess I can’t trust myself anymore.” The irony was well intentioned. Yet a few moments later, when someone in the crowd passed up a birthday cake, Springsteen impulsively threw it out into the crowd. As he watched it spatter the clothing of the crowd in that section of the floor, Bruce snarled, “Send me the cleaning bill.” It was an uncharacteristically ugly scene.

And the night got worse. Although Springsteen managed to keep the music going at an acceptable level, he was agitated. During “Rosalita,” he began gesturing to the road crew, pointing out some disturbance in the front rows. But when the security force investigated, they saw nothing, not so much as an argument, much less a fight, which is what they were looking for. Yet Springsteen called them back again, and they still found nothing.

8e5ef4fed464993b50c93153de37f397.jpg.b7ccc53952ac02ca4d951a3363c94e4d.jpg

Finally, Springsteen took matters into his own hands. He leaped from the stage and went down into the front rows. When he reappeared, he had Lynn Goldsmith by the arm, pulling her with him up onto the stage. “This is my ex-girl friend,” Springsteen shouted into the mike, and then he picked Lynn up and carried her to the rear of the stage, where she was quickly hustled from the hall. Backstage, no one was quite sure how to react. Was this moving, or funny, or what? It was, in the end, the most stupid public act of Springsteen’s career, and one which, for that instant, at least, made his rock and roll idealism hypocritical. Goldsmith had been snapping away, in violation of their agreement. (She later claimed that Springsteen had asked only that she not take pictures of him from the photographer’s pit immediately in front of the stage, but that’s not believable.) But Goldsmith’s offense was hardly so major that it required such drastic action on Bruce’s part. Although Goldsmith might have expected the treatment she got—if there is anything Springsteen hates, it’s deceit—this incident isn’t forgivable. Maybe it could be written off as an overreaction on a night when the stress level was running pretty high, but it was still a major embarrassment.

And Springsteen seemed to know it. Right afterward, he stood in front of the mike, trembling, shaking his head. Clarence Clemons looked at him, questioningly. “I don’t know,” Bruce said. “Some nights, I just don’t know….” Then he spun back into the song.

Surprisingly, not very much was made of this incident in the reports following the shows. Not until the following Monday, at least, when a report appeared in the New York Post, quoting Goldsmith as saying that she was considering suing Springsteen for $3 million for public humiliation and for being “manhandled” backstage. It didn’t seem likely that she had much of a case; a good part of the crowd that night thought she was being honored, for one thing, and for another, it was clear in the film of the show that Springsteen had handled her pretty gently, and that Goldsmith was laughing in his face. In any case, no lawsuit was ever filed. (Bruce Springsteen Two Hearts, the Story by Dave Marsh)

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

If there’s to be a run of cinema screenings like there was with Zimny’s Western Stars film, then I’m going to see it. And more than once too. 

That was my first thought 

Ive only seen Bruce once on the silver screen - at the end of the doco  20 feet from stardom 

It was sooooooooo good !

Unfortunately the film of western stars visited lots of places all around us on a map but impossible for me to get to at the time

I am overjoyed at the thought of an actual dvd/blue ray release 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, el sergio said:

The next night was far less joyous.  And as Springsteen took the stage, and the chanting and roaring of “Brooooce” once more filled the room, it seemed like an instant replay. But it was Springsteen’s thirtieth birthday, a milestone in the life of any rock star, and one that he seemed to take especially hard. “Well, I’m over thirty now,” he said, after enough cries of Happy Birthday had reached the stage. “I guess I can’t trust myself anymore.” The irony was well intentioned. Yet a few moments later, when someone in the crowd passed up a birthday cake, Springsteen impulsively threw it out into the crowd. As he watched it spatter the clothing of the crowd in that section of the floor, Bruce snarled, “Send me the cleaning bill.” It was an uncharacteristically ugly scene.

And the night got worse. Although Springsteen managed to keep the music going at an acceptable level, he was agitated. During “Rosalita,” he began gesturing to the road crew, pointing out some disturbance in the front rows. But when the security force investigated, they saw nothing, not so much as an argument, much less a fight, which is what they were looking for. Yet Springsteen called them back again, and they still found nothing.

Finally, Springsteen took matters into his own hands. He leaped from the stage and went down into the front rows. When he reappeared, he had Lynn Goldsmith by the arm, pulling her with him up onto the stage. “This is my ex-girl friend,” Springsteen shouted into the mike, and then he picked Lynn up and carried her to the rear of the stage, where she was quickly hustled from the hall. Backstage, no one was quite sure how to react. Was this moving, or funny, or what? It was, in the end, the most stupid public act of Springsteen’s career, and one which, for that instant, at least, made his rock and roll idealism hypocritical. Goldsmith had been snapping away, in violation of their agreement. (She later claimed that Springsteen had asked only that she not take pictures of him from the photographer’s pit immediately in front of the stage, but that’s not believable.) But Goldsmith’s offense was hardly so major that it required such drastic action on Bruce’s part. Although Goldsmith might have expected the treatment she got—if there is anything Springsteen hates, it’s deceit—this incident isn’t forgivable. Maybe it could be written off as an overreaction on a night when the stress level was running pretty high, but it was still a major embarrassment.

And Springsteen seemed to know it. Right afterward, he stood in front of the mike, trembling, shaking his head. Clarence Clemons looked at him, questioningly. “I don’t know,” Bruce said. “Some nights, I just don’t know….” Then he spun back into the song.

Surprisingly, not very much was made of this incident in the reports following the shows. Not until the following Monday, at least, when a report appeared in the New York Post, quoting Goldsmith as saying that she was considering suing Springsteen for $3 million for public humiliation and for being “manhandled” backstage. It didn’t seem likely that she had much of a case; a good part of the crowd that night thought she was being honored, for one thing, and for another, it was clear in the film of the show that Springsteen had handled her pretty gently, and that Goldsmith was laughing in his face. In any case, no lawsuit was ever filed. (Bruce Springsteen Two Hearts, the Story by Dave Marsh)

I hate my birthdays 

(The only thing i actually look forward to is my greasy lake birthday thread)

I found turning 25 and 40 particularly hard (not sure how this years big milestone is going to go) so i get this cake throwing thing 

Ms Goldsmith was somewhere doing something Bruce had asked her not to, if there are sides to be taken I'm with Bruce on this 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I hate my birthdays 

(The only thing i actually look forward to is my greasy lake birthday thread)

I found turning 25 and 40 particularly hard (not sure how this years big milestone is going to go) so i get this cake throwing thing 

Ms Goldsmith was somewhere doing something Bruce had asked her not to, if there are sides to be taken I'm with Bruce on this 

There is some quote of a young Springsteen: “Don’t trust anybody over 30”

But when we celebrate someone's birthday we're not only celebrating the length of their life. We also celebrate how much they've grown in the past year. Birthdays are important because they give everyone a day to feel special and see how much those around them love them.

• Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

There is some quote of a young Springsteen: “Don’t trust anybody over 30”

Well, this wasn’t Springsteen in particular. It was part of the generational struggle that characterised the mid-sixties and most of the seventies. Most kids from the Vietnam era would have agreed. At thirty back then, people were supposed to be (and behave like) adults, have steady jobs, and be married with a couple of children. Let’s not forget that the first generation of pop-rock icons became stars in their very early twenties (some even before), and by their own admission, they thought their career would be over in a couple of years.     

P.S.

Remember the article that virtually saved Bruce’s career? Landau’s first lines go, “It's four in the morning and raining. I'm 27 today, feeling old, listening to my records, and remembering that things were diffferent a decade ago.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the movie is a mix of both nights  mixed and edited to one show this will probably the setlist / running order of the movie. Only Stay is 2 times in the set because one of them has also a different guest so i'm not sure which version they will use or one of them will be added as bonustrack. The first 9 songs where played both nights so they will pick the best version but i guess this will be it: 

1. Prove it all night
  2. Badlands
  3. The promised land
  4. The River
  5. Sherry Darling
  6. Thuner road
  7. Jungleland
  8. Rosalita (come out tonight)
  9. Born to run
  10. Stay(with Jackson Browne and Rosemary Butler) -  first night
  11. Stay (with Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, and Rosemary Butler) - second night
  12. Detroit Medley - only played first night
  13. Rave on - only played first night
  14. Quarter to three - only played second night

This is only pure speculation till we get the official press release announcement . But this is my guess of how they gonna release the show(s). 

14 hours ago, jmw said:

Casual fan that I am, I don't really know much about Nukes. (Sorry) I need to go and write lines of shame.:rolleyes:

Think I might have to join you.

It seems to be something amazing from reading this but then again alot that is thought of as amazing here doesn't grab me.

Exhibit A - Western Stars

So if anyone would like to give me an insight as to the excitement of this.

• Like 2

I'm having a bit of a mild tummy flutter here cos my No Nukes video isn't in the Welsh dresser with my other ones ... Summertime Blues being one of them. It may be with vinyls upstairs

Does anybody know what's on the cover and side of that video so I know what I'm looking for?  I've watched that many times over the years and love it - not just Bruce's part in it. (I'm picturing Bruce in blue, no sleeves, mid song)

Just thinking ... I've still got a video player but I'll get a local lad to transfer it on to DVD for me. I'm too lazy to set up the player.

That's if I find it.

• Hug 1

^  That's the one! Thanks. He's wearing blue in the Summertime Blues one - and I pictured that cos I'd looked at it 10 minutes ago. :)

I'm on my way to look for it now.

I can't find it. Oh woe is me!

• Hug 1

I remember seeing it at the cinema (that word shows that it was a long time ago) and was the first time I heard the bruuuucing being discussed - "why are they booing?" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marnix said:

If the movie is a mix of both nights  mixed and edited to one show this will probably the setlist / running order of the movie. Only Stay is 2 times in the set because one of them has also a different guest so i'm not sure which version they will use or one of them will be added as bonustrack. The first 9 songs where played both nights so they will pick the best version but i guess this will be it: 

1. Prove it all night
  2. Badlands
  3. The promised land
  4. The River
  5. Sherry Darling
  6. Thuner road
  7. Jungleland
  8. Rosalita (come out tonight)
  9. Born to run
  10. Stay(with Jackson Browne and Rosemary Butler) -  first night
  11. Stay (with Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, and Rosemary Butler) - second night
  12. Detroit Medley - only played first night
  13. Rave on - only played first night
  14. Quarter to three - only played second night

This is only pure speculation till we get the official press release announcement . But this is my guess of how they gonna release the show(s). 

I agree this is the logical tracklist - and I hope without linking chat between the songs as it would disrupt flow.  

Rosalita has to be from night 1.  Otherwise Lynn Goldfishbowl would sue for royalties!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Born To Walk said:

As would including 'Stay' twice

I've had an idea, they could maybe include one performance of Stay and put on the bonus features if there will be any the other performance, id prefer it if they released the Tom Petty and Jackson Browne version

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameron J. McMenemy said:

I've had an idea, they could maybe include one performance of Stay and put on the bonus features if there will be any the other performance, id prefer it if they released the Tom Petty and Jackson Browne version

Including one as an Extra would be far more likely than including both in the main film/

4 hours ago, el sergio said:

can Honestly say that ive never heard this story.....Obviously he will cut this part out but I wonder why Bruce was in such a mood that day? fascinating