Greasy Lake Community

No Nukes Concert Film Coming!!!

On 7/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'd never heard this version before, and only learnt of this song because of one of Bruce's radio shows last year.

I've now played this about 5 times tonight. Thank you for mentioning it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7WFVGRknE&t=1s

Have you seen the No Nukes movie or heard the soundtrack (there's about a 50% overlap between them)?  Even with the rough VHS/laserdisc versions that are on youtube, you can see the quality.  By the way, "Before The Deluge" is also in the film. 

I really hope that this release by Bruce will open it up for other artists to release their own sets, and for the original movie to be re-released too.  The footage is brilliant and it's rare to get high quality film from the '70s.  Gil Scott-Heron, for example, did an amazing version of "The Bottle", and it's just sitting in the vault.  Chaka Khan singing with Ry Cooder, Nicolette Larson with the Doobies, Raydio and the list goes on.  Let this stuff out!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jauzins said:

Have you seen the No Nukes movie or heard the soundtrack (there's about a 50% overlap between them)?  Even with the rough VHS/laserdisc versions that are on youtube, you can see the quality.  By the way, "Before The Deluge" is also in the film. 

I really hope that this release by Bruce will open it up for other artists to release their own sets, and for the original movie to be re-released too.  The footage is brilliant and it's rare to get high quality film from the '70s.  Gil Scot-Heron, for example, did an amazing version of "Johannesburg", and it's just sitting in the vault.  Chaka Khan singing with Ry Cooder, Nicolette Larson with the Doobies, Raydio and the list goes on.  Let this stuff out!

That's powerful. Thanks for sharing.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:47 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'd never heard this version before, and only learnt of this song because of one of Bruce's radio shows last year.

I've now played this about 5 times tonight. Thank you for mentioning it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7WFVGRknE&t=1s

It's a great song and probably my favorite Jackson Browne song. When he played here in Sweden some years ago he was asking the audience for requests and I shouted Before the deluge...And he played it. : D

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

They've been removed. That was what first alerted us to the fact that something was stirring.

Ah right. I missed that. 

40 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Really looking forward to the announcement of how this thing is going to be put together i.e. track sequence of the composite show and whether it is documentary format with interviews in between each song etc 

I really hope they don’t put interviews in between the songs that really interrupts the flow of the show. Or make an option that you can also watch it without interviews in between. 
But we have to wait to the press release for the details. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marnix said:

I really hope they don’t put interviews in between the songs that really interrupts the flow of the show. Or make an option that you can also watch it without interviews in between. 
But we have to wait to the press release for the details. 

my guess is a 2 disc set.  1 disc best version of songs sequenced into a live concrt, 2nd disc documentary with some versions of songs not on 1st disc.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eileen said:

Well it's somewhere cos I remember it well ... and the thread on here about it.

Dresses on the right if I remember correctly?

Oh Eileen you're making me blush :lol:

There is also a pucture of him in the shower and if memory  serves me right he looks none to happy 

2 hours ago, bigbonesbilly said:

my guess is a 2 disc set.  1 disc best version of songs sequenced into a live concrt, 2nd disc documentary with some versions of songs not on 1st disc.

That would be ideal. But the LTY film and Western Stars film makes me think there will be stuff in between each song. Seems to be Zimny’s style but I hope I’m wrong and it’s a flowing “show”. We can all get over the changes of clothes worn across the two nights. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

We can all get over the changes of clothes worn across the two nights. 

Paul McCartney's 'Get Back' concert film from 1989/90 features a change of clothes pretty much every few seconds. You soon get used to it and stop worrying about it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stillilllife said:

It's a great song and probably my favorite Jackson Browne song. When he played here in Sweden some years ago he was asking the audience for requests and I shouted Before the deluge...And he played it. : D

Saw him about 10 years ago in the Symphony Hall Birmingham doing a solo acoustic show (piano and about 20 different guitars on stands) and he was just taking requests all night long and at one point he had grabbed a guitar to do one song and someone sang a line of a song they wanted and he put his guitar down and picked up another saying "if you sing your request it will always win out" and he would just DO these songs - effortless - I've been to see him every time he has been in the UK in recent times, always a joy (and I just love the stuff with him and Bonnie Raitt on the Christic shows - although I love everything on the Christic shows ha!).   

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Promise61 said:

bruceenhanced-buzz-12644-1362594752-2.jpg

And a few years later, the same guy in lady’s pants would co-write a book with the leader of the free world… ;)

• Bruuuuce! 1

18 hours ago, Frank said:

He probably saw the cover picture… Lynn could have chosen one in which both eyes belonged to the same person… ;) 

That is common practice in the Springsteen camp by always choosing not so flattering untouched cover portraits (check Darkness and River covers). The most glaring example should be the Songs book from 1998

917572027_BruceSpringsteen-Songs.jpg.16c006e7256325c69f944aa44552d2a3.jpg

• Bruuuuce! 1

28 minutes ago, el sergio said:

tzimnyc @clearmountain mix is amazing !!
#tzimnyc #springsteen#newfilmalert #brucespringsteen

Thrilled that they gave it to Bob.  That's not a given these days.

My Holy Grail would be the The River album totally re-engineered and re-mixed by Bob.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, el sergio said:

If memory serves me right, the Springsteen camp was upset about the book being published but little they could do about it. If you take a look, some pictures are taken inside his Homdel NJ house and quite intimate and this was 1984, we all know what kind of control freak Springsteen was  http://www.matthijsjanssen.nl/2013/04/bruce-springsteen-1978.html

Well my memory serves me right, here is the complete story:

Bruce met Joyce Hyser in October 1978, during a month's break in the Darkness Tour. During some of that Oct 78 break Springsteen was out in California with Goldsmith, who had a photo assignment out there. Bruce made a guest appearance with THE KNACK at the Troubadour in Los Angeles while he was out there and if I recall Bruce & Lynn attended a DEVO show too (but Bruce didn't play). Hyser was a model at the time, LA & NYC is where the model scene was based. Lynn had model looks in her own right!

The Darkness Tour ended on Jan 1, 1979. In early Feb 1979 Springsteen and Goldsmith took a short vacation together in the winter resort of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. There are published photos of Bruce and Goldsmith taken by celeb photographer Ron Galea (sp?) walking happily together in Jackson Hole in Feb 1979. Things were fine at that point. It was all about to change though.

From Jackson Hole they went on to Los Angeles, where they both had some business to attend to (this is when Bruce got together with Warren Zevon to work on the re-write of "Janey Needs A Shooter").

It was while in Los Angeles with Goldsmith in Feb 1979 that the Feb 1979 issue of the Japanese music magazine 'JAM' was released (the Asbury Library has a copy in its Bruce collection) - this issue contained an 8-pg photo spread of Springsteen under the title "From Lynn Goldsmith's Studio". Springsteen was shown or informed by someone of the JAM magazine spread while in Los Angeles. Goldsmith had sold the photos for considerable money. Bruce had not been told and some of the photos (which have since appeared on boots) were of a rather personal, intimate nature.

Springsteen literally terminated the relationship with Goldsmith right then and there in Los Angeles in Feb 1979 - finished, adios. Not a pleasant ending. Springsteen likely felt betrayed, if not manipulated.

The relationship with Joyce Hyser really began in March 1979, when Bruce got back east. Hyser lived in the NYC area. So the relationship took off. She was hanging out a lot with Bruce at his Telegraph Hill Road farm in Holmdel during the March-May 1979 period when all the early ESB reheasals for 'The River' were taking place in Bruce's barn - in fact in April 1979 when Springsteen got hurt (leg) in the off-terrain vehicle accident on his farm - it was Hyser that was riding the buggy with him. Bruce was laid up for about 4 weeks - delayed the sessions at the Power Station.

The very public spat with Lynn Goldsmith that took place at the No Nukes Concert in Sept 1979 - that, of course, had its basis in the events of Feb 1979 (in case anyone has long wondered why Springsteen reacted like he did to Goldsmith at No Nukes). (source from the Sandford book?)

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 2:46 AM, el sergio said:

That is common practice in the Springsteen camp by always choosing not so flattering untouched cover portraits (check Darkness and River covers). The most glaring example should be the Songs book from 1998

917572027_BruceSpringsteen-Songs.jpg.16c006e7256325c69f944aa44552d2a3.jpg

Hay :lol:

That ain't  that bad :wub:

5 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I was hoping Zimny wouldn't be involved in this.   I take it he is?  I don't understand Bruce's faith in this guy.

I loved the western stars film and the sweeping cinematic scenes and stories in between songs. But No Nukes ‘79 should just be a blu ray of songs performed, seamlessly edited back to back, concert style. But pessimistically I feel the chances of that are close to zero. The Rolling Stone article describes it as a documentary film, which doesn’t bode particularly well for it being the live performances without (some unwanted) stuff in between songs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

The Rolling Stone article describes it as a documentary film, which doesn’t bode particularly well for it being the live performances without (some unwanted) stuff in between songs

The use of the word documentary is indeed disturbing. However, its such an early stage that I'm not sure that Rolling Stone will have had any more information than the rest of us. Hopefully 'documentary' was just their way of saying 'a film which documents the concerts'

I'm still hopeful for a concert film, even if they all keep changing their clothes every other song!

• Like 1