Greasy Lake Community

New Archive Release: Giants Stadium, August 22, 1985

I remember as a teenager following record fairs around the country praying I would see a few Bruce Springsteen live bootleg cassettes. I once bought Wembley 1985 on 3 cassettes for £45 with the shitiest black & white photocopied inlay.

It was like treasure, I loved every minute of listening to that crap sound.

Now I think (all things considered) that Bruce Inc are missing a trick with the Archive Series however to have these shows in this sound was something I could only have dreamt about in those days. People complaining about covers always makes me smile though.

• Like 7

On 7/23/2021 at 5:56 PM, el sergio said:

And yeah we finally got that Sherry Darling as the perfect concert closer and send the folks happily back to their homes:

"Springsteen indulges in a charming bit of adulation baiting with “Do You Love Me?” Finally, “Jersey Girl” serves as the perfect summer-night coda for the Garden State.That would be more than enough for most, but the expanded band isn’t done quite yet. Bruce goes back to the River one last time to a song he wrote expressly for a summer party, “Sherry Darling,” driving home the band-fan relationship as he sings, “I got you and you got me.”

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JimCT said:

6 stadium shows at the Meadowswamp, and not a Detroit Medley in sight :(

That's definitely a miss. I listened extensively to your November '84/January '85 shows and I instantly missed it. It seems it was performed only once between April 22nd, 1985 (Osaka) and October 2nd, 1985 (Los Angeles) in Pontiac on September 4th, 1985. Always a definite highlight! 

Regarding the new show, I have listened to it now a couple of times and it's a fantastic performance. Personal highlights so far are 'Seeds', 'The River', I'm Going Down', 'Thunder Road', 'Pink Cadillac' & 'Twist and Shout-Do You love Me'. 

• Like 3

born in the usa instead has too many keyboards better los Angeles

Top version of Badlands Out in the street and Atlantic City

But Thunder road is by far one of the best versions ever... epic!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

BEST Sherry Darling I've ever heard. It should end more shows!!

Also 85 was the best year for Thunder Road and BTR.

Love this release!

Thunder road absolutely nr.1

• Like 1

Haven't compared closely, but to my ears this is the best quality sounding release from the '84-'85 tour so far. I love the versions of 'Trapped' and 'I'm Going Down' from this tour. I understand when a tour isn't particularly to your liking (I skip the '78 releases for that reason), but to judge a show by the set list on paper alone is crazy; Bruce has never been an artist who regularly mixes up his set. If you follow that logic then the Archive series would be wrapped up very quickly. Ok, 85 may not have the intensity of '81 but there's still plenty to recommend it. The Nebraska songs sound very fresh, and powerful, as does the Born In The USA material. As mentioned already, 'Trapped', and 'I'm Going Down' are great.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Haven't compared closely, but to my ears this is the best quality sounding release from the '84-'85 tour so far. 

Agreed. I like the 5 and 6 August 1984 mixes, 20 August 1984 and 27 September 1985 are fine but a little dry for me… but this one just pops out the speaker brilliantly. One of my favourite archive releases. 

One other thing that I’ve not seen anybody mention: how brilliant is Gary here? His bass playing throughout is wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Ach...i've changed my mind after reading those Lakers reviews and especially after hearing that incredible version of Sherry Darling ( a song I wish he would play more often). I'm gonna get it !

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Ach...i've changed my mind after reading those Lakers reviews and especially after hearing that incredible version of Sherry Darling ( a song I wish he would play more often). I'm gonna get it !

Looking forward to your review :)

5 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"preantepenultimate"

:o

Can’t wait to blast this show out on big speakers. For now it’s on the high res audio player through my new Sony WF-1000XM4 true wireless earbuds (they are stunning by the way - best earbuds I’ve ever had) and it’s glorious. 

• Love Love Love! 3

52 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Can’t wait to blast this show out on big speakers. For now it’s on the high res audio player through my new Sony WF-1000XM4 true wireless earbuds (they are stunning by the way - best earbuds I’ve ever had) and it’s glorious. 

I'm certain your neighbors will enjoy it as much as you do :D :D :D 

• Love Love Love! 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:00 AM, davemunday said:

On 'paper' this release doesn't seem to have a lot going on...

I’m happy about this release but it seems that the second set from these shows ends rather anticlimactically with “Bobby Jean”.  I think something like “Bobby Jean” into “Backstreets” into “Rosalita” (just for example) would be a better set closer, no?

3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Funny!!! I have the same ones. I spent the late morning in the back yard listening to it. Very nice headphones. Great dynamics!!!

Oh, and I think that cat from Jersey is pretty good.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks! Very nice connection once again between Seeds and Atlantic City: "reciting of “our love may have died and our may be co-o-old“, and just over a minute later at 3:37 we’re floored by the intensity, the panic in his voice as he tells us about his search, and struggle, for a job, excellently linking this track to “Seeds” in the process." (note that on some US 1985 stadium shows the Dylanesque chords of “Darkness on the Edge of Town” followed Seeds, a perfect segue from rampant rage to suppressed fury, so that is something to look out for in the future Archive shows)

"and “Judge don’t take my BOY this way!” at 2:33 to convey the anxiety in Johnny’s mam’s voice. The way the latter reverberates around Giants Stadium is an added bonus." => that reverb or echo is not yet touched so much when talking about the 1985 stadium shows but it was the very much the essence of this song when played with 2 men facing a whole stadium

“I’m on Fire” is many of the casual audience’s favourite, and there’s no denying Bruce plays it a lot for them." => whaaaat? Wait! So I am a casual listenerrrr now :)

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I’m happy about this release but it seems that the second set from these shows ends rather anticlimactically with “Bobby Jean”.  I think something like “Bobby Jean” into “Backstreets” into “Rosalita” (just for example) would be a better set closer, no?

Ending with Bobby Jean is some kind of development that was expressed in his songwriting, as the characters of “Thunder Road” and “Backstreets” became those of “Darkness on the Edge of Town,” and those in turn became the forebears of the folks in “Born in the U.S.A.,” “Bobby Jean,” and “My Hometown.”. And the Bobby Jean song, long attributed to his relationship with Van Zandt, is the perfect coda to one of Springsteen's lifelong journeys, taken with a friend, to do something good. No — to do something great.

• Like 2