Greasy Lake Community

New Archive Release: Giants Stadium, August 22, 1985

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Thanks! Very nice connection once again between Seeds and Atlantic City: "reciting of “our love may have died and our may be co-o-old“, and just over a minute later at 3:37 we’re floored by the intensity, the panic in his voice as he tells us about his search, and struggle, for a job, excellently linking this track to “Seeds” in the process." (note that on some US 1985 stadium shows the Dylanesque chords of “Darkness on the Edge of Town” followed Seeds, a perfect segue from rampant rage to suppressed fury, so that is something to look out for in the future Archive shows)

"and “Judge don’t take my BOY this way!” at 2:33 to convey the anxiety in Johnny’s mam’s voice. The way the latter reverberates around Giants Stadium is an added bonus." => that reverb or echo is not yet touched so much when talking about the 1985 stadium shows but it was the very much the essence of this song when played with 2 men facing a whole stadium

“I’m on Fire” is many of the casual audience’s favourite, and there’s no denying Bruce plays it a lot for them." => whaaaat? Wait! So I am a casual listenerrrr now :)

Many thanks for checking it out! I've just skimmed Brucebase and "Darkness" follows "Seeds" on the August 19th show, so it's (fingers crossed) more than likely we'll get to hear those Dylanesque chords someday. Gerrin!

And at the risk of not continuing the conversation about the acoustics of Giants Stadium, I need to clarify I didn't mean "I'm on Fire" is only the casual audience's favourite, haha! Sorry if I worded that poorly, I was just trying to imply it's one that the casual audience love more than, say "Lucky Town" or "Roulette', for example.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, badlands78 said:

second set from these shows ends rather anticlimactically with “Bobby Jean”.  I think something like “Bobby Jean” into “Backstreets” into “Rosalita” (just for example) would be a better set closer, no?

Ending with Bobby Jean is some kind of development that was expressed in his songwriting

Nice post! (not quoting the whole post as that is not necessary).

And Rosalita was not played at U.S.A. shows (anymore) after it was dropped from the setlist in Fall 1984 (except the last show of the tour in Los Angeles).

Bruce once said (or Dave Marsh said it in his Glory Days book) ending the second set with Racing In The Street or Backstreets [after Rosalita was dropped] emphasized the development in his writing into more darker songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

58 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Many thanks for checking it out! I've just skimmed Brucebase and "Darkness" follows "Seeds" on the August 19th show, so it's (fingers crossed) more than likely we'll get to hear those Dylanesque chords someday. Gerrin!

Darkness On The Edge Of Town.mp3Attached to this post the Darkness audience version from the The Best Of Absolutely Everything (Ev2) 1985-09-19 bootleg played right after Seeds, no count in at the start of the song as usual. The Darkness song had a very different feel paired with Seeds on the US 1985 tour. And lest us not forget that the Seeds/Darkness pairing was played too on 1985-09-30 - LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL COLISEUM, LOS ANGELES, CA preceding the intro story of The River as we all know from the Live 1975-1985 box paraphrasing Jon Landau "We might have something here"

• Like 3

Darkness On The Edge Of Town.mp3Attached to this post the Darkness audience version from the The Best Of Absolutely Everything (Ev2) 1985-09-19 bootleg played right after Seeds, no count in at the start of the song as usual. The Darkness song had a very different feel paired with Seeds on the US 1985 tour. And lest us not forget that the Seeds/Darkness pairing was played too on 1985-09-30 - LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL COLISEUM, LOS ANGELES, CA preceding the intro story of The River as we all know from the Live 1975-1985 box paraphrasing Jon Landau "We might have something here"

Great post

played 10/2 as well

7 hours ago, el sergio said:

Oh man that version is class. I'd never heard it before, so thanks a bunch for sharing it! I love that calmer intro and Bruce's similar vocal styling - and the rest of it ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rumble said:

Just read this and your 9/27/85 reviews

love your passion for the shows

Thanks for giving them a chance, it's more than appreciated and it keeps me inspired to continue writing them. Here's to the next U.S.A. World Tour show, but until then, this one needs replaying over and over!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

So last night i was snuggled into the new winter sheets listening to the spoken intro before the river ...and ny phone went dead as the charger had come unplunged :angry:

So part two on the walk to work soon

On 7/24/2021 at 6:48 AM, Lampi said:

As you can find everything on Brucebase: Growin' Up was performed at two of the six New Jersey shows, including the previous night.

(Must say you can find many things on this website too; there is more to this website than only the forum)

He played it often enough early in 85, then it took a break until the New Jersey shows, then it got played semi often, including the last night of the tour.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:07 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A damn fine review again. Thank for the time and effort. I usually look for forward to your review as much as I am for the concert! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:07 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That was great Paolo

I enjoyed your review 

I found myself nodding along to what you were saying

But i need another couple of listens 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

A damn fine review again. Thank for the time and effort. I usually look for forward to your review as much as I am for the concert! 

Never anticipated this kind of feedback when I firsr wrote that Grand Rapids 2005 review in February 2018. Can't stress enough how much I appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That was great Paolo

I enjoyed your review 

I found myself nodding along to what you were saying

But i need another couple of listens 

Cheers for checking it out, Daisey.

All of these shows need more listens, even the ones we've played well over a hundred times.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, davalav said:

To my ears, this show offers better sound than the two 1984 shows (Aug. 6 and 20) and even the later 1985 show (Sept. 27) that I purchased. Band is tighter. Mixing of show is better. You can track the evolution of the band's performances from the fall of '84 for sure.

I used to think Aug. 20, 1984 was the BITUSA peak. No more. And speaking of Aug. 20, I am still pissed about that feedback/whistling sound that ruins Born to Run and Detroit Medley for me. Needs a fix!

I admit I can't be objective, because I saw five of seven LA 84 shows, but those 84 Oakland/LA shows were the apex of the tour: the two longest set lists of the tour (10/22 and 10/25), Nebraska five-packs, spell binding versions of Shut out the Light, dedicated to Ron Kovac on 11/4, absolultely heart breaking performances of Follow that Dream, dedicated to his "little sister" on 10/28, California Sun, overwhelmingly powerful openings of Born in the USA>Who'll Stop the Rain, and first ever USA into Badlands to start a show (10/28), incredible Glory Day raps with twilight zone guitar, epic pink cadillacs with laser focused raps like "on the fifth day, He wanted to take a drive but he needed some highway so He created the L.A.Freeway….and the Lord sat back and said ´What the f*ck is this?'"  Bruce's parents in the house on 10/21. Also, in LA: Night, Stolen Car, I fought the law, Johnny Bye Bye, a reworked version of Darkness, and mesmerizing Point Blanks, some of the best shows of the two-year tour, including the 33-song opening night set in LA and closing night in Oakland, and an unheard of 17 song first set on Holloween, and blow off the roof versions of Born to Run with introductions like "this song, I guess, this is my, this is my favorite song I ever wrote, I guess…when I wrote this I felt….felt like I was born…..” and "this is your town so fight for it."  Let's not forget he dropped Rosy for the first time since 74 one show before the first Oakland concert and then didn't play it after 10/28 until March 85.  He was feeling it. Bruce was so strong and feeling so powerful and alive. It was incredible to watch. The way he moved around the stage, almost like Jackie Chan. The most physical I've ever seen him. He bounced down from singing to the back of the stage to the front of the stage with the greatest of ease, as if he was just yawning. It was that effortless. And also remember, during some of the Nebraska songs, most of the band would go off stage, and it would only be him and Nils or him and Max, for example.  He was so focused but still relatively spontaneous with the sets, understanding he worked within the USA set structure overall. I saw all 85 Coliseum shows and there were magical moments there too, like the blow your bind brazenly bold and passionate debut of War. But for my money, those Oakland/LA 84 shows were really special and set the standard for the tour, as for as stands go.  There were a lot of great shows and stands, like Philly, NJ, and other stops. He reached the apex in LA. After LA, the Nebraska five-pack went away, the set lists got shorter, etc. Those five-packs were like a mini concert unto themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Very strong show, and as always the small details. The, slightly amended intro, to ‘I’m Going Down’; one of my favourite Bruce songs and another great version. The slightly changed phrasing on ‘Dancing in the Dark’, plus the minor key intro. The organ/piano interplay at the conclusion of The River. Consistently strong vocals throughout. Hindsight is everything with the BITUSA songs, here ‘Working on the Highway’ is still fresh and is just a fun, slightly silly song. Ok, the shows from this tour will always be slightly synth heavy, but it was the eighties. Hard to complain about this one, unless musically it just isn’t your thing.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

44 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Which part of song? 

About 3/4 of the way in

Ill have another listen tomorrow 

It sounded like the mp3 version of a stuck record crossed with - (if you can remember) the Malmacian mating call from ALF

• Haha 1