Greasy Lake Community

"The Banner" - 2002 - 2021; But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told

20210724_080621.thumb.jpg.9d91dab37e69520ebc36a92c082de5d8.jpg

This is on June 2003 in front of the Olympiastadion in München. Next to me (with hat) is dear Beate (sixtychevy369 here). She was very active on here at this time, but I lost trace of her. Anybody knows her, too?  Well I guess this hapens to a lot of us, dear people come and go...

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, theseshadows said:

20210724_080621.thumb.jpg.9d91dab37e69520ebc36a92c082de5d8.jpg

This is on June 2003 in front of the Olympiastadion in München. Next to me (with hat) is dear Beate (sixtychevy369 here). She was very active on here at this time, but I lost trace of her. Anybody knows her, too?  Well I guess this hapens to a lot of us, dear people come and go...

I have hung out with Beate on many occasions and been to several shows with her in Germany and Denmark, but I too have sort of lost contact with her. I know that her wonderful husband Burki (also in your picture, wearing a hat) passed away. I can only imagine how hard that must have been for her. I miss them both.

• Love Love Love! 3
  • Hug 1

Wow, I’m crying reading this. Amazing. This is one of the best things I’ve ever read about. Hits so close to home after everyone here pulling together for RJM this year. 

• Like 1
  • Hug 4

The banner…. I remember it and those times well….Happy that my little signature is a small part of this enormous outpouring of love….I still remember the location on the banner where I signed it…. I too saw 8 Rising shows I believe and the banner was right there with us….Incredible story.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 4

Signed that banner opening night of The Rising tour. Meadowlands NJ. Greasy Lake tailgate party. I scored one ticket to that show thanks to some members here. Drove to the show alone. Met some Lakers, made some friends and signed that banner. This site was relatively young at that stage. Alot of members have come and gone. That banner tells a story of what this community was, is and still can be. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 3

10 hours ago, burghfan said:

I just saw this on FB before I saw this thread.  I haven't read all of the FB thread yet, It's HUGE!

Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

And yes I pinned my own thread, what of it?

Another Internet Moderator abusing his power ...Typical :D....Incredible Story ..... The fact that it was important enough for the Mom to schlep around with her is almost tear inducing. The internet is a crazy place ....It really DOES create bonds and do good things ....

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3

14 hours ago, judyg said:

Time flies and it also seems to stand still sometimes. Last night was one of those nights. So many memories...

I signed the Rising Tour banner when it was still young and clean and not yet smelly. 

Seeing it rediscovered last night and reading all the responses on FB was so great. 

I love this photo of me signing the banner because the person behind me is Rich Nappi, another Laker gone too soon. There is also another VIP laker in the background.  :) 

banner.jpg

We all were a lot younger, cleaner and more fragrant as well.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, burghfan said:

I just saw this on FB before I saw this thread.  I haven't read all of the FB thread yet, It's HUGE!

I'm not sure but I think there was a thread about who was taking the banner to each show, where it was going to be, and who they were handing it off to so it would be at the next show.

I know Andrew and myself each took it to several shows both pre and post stink.

Where is @AMIW I think he would like to see this.

15 hours ago, burghfan said:

I know it wasn't a pleasant smell, and that much Febreze was used and the smell was still there.

I know there is a story about what happened to it that it smelled, but I can't remember what it is.

It was aired out in my basement for more than a week.  I didn’t want to wash it, so I tried spraying it with Fabreze.  And tried again…. And again.  I used a whole bottle.  I always thought the smell just came from all the time it spent on the ground, in cars, etc.  

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

8 minutes ago, Magnus said:

What absolutely wonderful memories . GL was around when I discovered in right before Tracks came out, but in my mind, 2002-2003 were still GL in its early days. I forget where I signed the Rising Tour banner but I got to more than my fair share of shows then, so I'm sure I must have.

I'm not sure if anyone has linked, but the Rising Tour Banner's history is documented here:

https://www.greasylake.org/v6/the-circuit/lake_scrolls_content.php?Id=124

Actually, the concept of a GL community banner was first introduced on the Reunion tour. There was a Reunion Tour banner, with "South Jersey" on it - was that where the Banner started? I remember taking it with me to the NC and Pittsburgh shows in 2000. There's some more info here.

https://www.greasylake.org/v6/the-circuit/lake_scrolls_content.php?Id=123

I don't stop in at GL as often as I used to, but I do like to check in now and again. And most of the fans who were regular back then haven't posted here in a long time.  If you've joined this community in the past decade or so, these banners may seem like ancient history from before your time, all full of names you maybe don't recognize.  But I do hope the memories of these early 2000s-era banners show all the current regulars here, all the occasional posters, and all you lurkers realize that the wonderful community you are part of has some real history and staying power. GL has been around for I'd guess coming on 25 years now, Perhaps CK or any other  GL historian can confirm?

And that's about the same amount of time as the period from the original release of Greetings from Asbury Park to TGOTJ. Or maybe even Tracks.

You did.  Check the FB thread.

8 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I don't stop in at GL as often as I used to, but I do like to check in now and again. And most of the fans who were regular back then haven't posted here in a long time.  If you've joined this community in the past decade or so, these banners may seem like ancient history from before your time, all full of names you maybe don't recognize.  But I do hope the memories of these early 2000s-era banners show all the current regulars here, all the occasional posters, and all you lurkers realize that the wonderful community you are part of has some real history and staying power. GL has been around for I'd guess coming on 25 years now, Perhaps CK or any other  GL historian can confirm?

And that's about the same amount of time as the period from the original release of Greetings from Asbury Park to TGOTJ. Or maybe even Tracks.

I found it in 1999-ish and it was a decent group of people even then.  

Some of it is archived here

https://www.greasylake.org/v6/the-circuit/lake_scrolls_content.php?Id=122

Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 16-43-52 The Lake Scrolls Greasy Lake.png

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

20 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Sacramento 2003!  The only show I know of where the GA line wasn't at the venue, but was down and across the street and started at a Blockbuster video store!

Great show if you haven't heard that one BTW - also where I met Toots, GKid, Rocco, JudgeBrown, Quaddy, Bratosser, Ricky was there too - sheesh there were lots of us at that one, can't remember them all

As for signing, I think I signed in Phoenix on that tour

Those are the only important people you met in Sacramento?

2 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Those are the only important people you met in Sacramento?

Shucks, I said I couldn't remember them all - wait, you were in Sacramento in 2003?  

I thought I only saw you on the East coast shows

7 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Shucks, I said I couldn't remember them all - wait, you were in Sacramento in 2003?  

I thought I only saw you on the East coast shows

Nope 4pm the previous day I got laid off… called @Tootssaid any spare tickets for the show.. went home bought a plane ticket, grabbed some clothes, drove to airport got a hotel, flew to Sacramento via somewhere. Went to blockbuster and fell asleep in the ga line… @toots is the best…the car wash was the highlight of the trip

took the summer and autumn off to follow  the band ending at Shea with some hot laker chickies, karsten and a memorable sing a long one night to nycs with fire rich

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2