Greasy Lake Community

"The Banner" - 2002 - 2021; But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told

4 hours ago, AMIW said:

Nope 4pm the previous day I got laid off… called @Tootssaid any spare tickets for the show.. went home bought a plane ticket, grabbed some clothes, drove to airport got a hotel, flew to Sacramento via somewhere. Went to blockbuster and fell asleep in the ga line… @toots is the best…the car wash was the highlight of the trip

took the summer and autumn off to follow  the band ending at Shea with some hot laker chickies, karsten and a memorable sing a long one night to nycs with fire rich

Manly tears?

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Can this happen again next tour? Love reading this, this morning. 

Wish we had been around the lake earlier but to be honest when this was happening i was still in the wilderness yet to buy LINYC :lol:

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Can this happen again next tour? Love reading this, this morning. 

It would be nice, but I’m afraid the community is no longer numerous enough for that. Unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

The community will expand again once touring begins anew, don't you think?

There's something special about this being a 'one-off' done in respect of a lost Laker. I didn't know the poor lad nor was I a member here then, but it was quite a tribute in his memory, that's for sure, and was clearly a comfort to his grieving mother. Revisiting his banner now is a fine way to mark her passing and I hope it consoles their loved ones again. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Frank said:

It would be nice, but I’m afraid the community is no longer numerous enough for that. Unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

The community will expand again once touring begins anew, don't you think?

Was trying to think of a way to say it, but I believe JoleBlonAlba said it best, more people will show up when(if) a tour starts again. As I've been here since 2008 joined 2015 and have never seen some of the names on this thread. I see they mostly from the early days as their join dates are 2000, 2001, 2002. and have a few posts, which says they posted after the crash of 2015. Which most posted during the 2016 River tour.  So why not. This time maybe not for anyone person but for the community as a whole. 

In the USA we all could meet in the middle of the US, wait that would be St. Louis, Patty and I will be waiting for you. In England maybe London, Europe maybe Paris? 

• Like 4

I’ll post my signature pic when I get on desktop…For some reason the banner pics won’t load on my phone.

Let’s not forget the banner was also signed by the man himself if not mistaken.

• Like 2

Great story!  Those were good times and I met many Lakers that tour! Signed the banner at a tailgate at Giants Stadium night 3 or 4, can’t remember. Also met nice peeps through the “ticketmonster” site LiveDaily. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, VABOSSFAN said:

I’ll post my signature pic when I get on desktop…For some reason the banner pics won’t load on my phone.

Let’s not forget the banner was also signed by the man himself if not mistaken.

To the left of the S.

image.png.28b726f308dccdd2a03c25a93803a790.png

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Was trying to think of a way to say it, but I believe JoleBlonAlba said it best, more people will show up when(if) a tour starts again. As I've been here since 2008 joined 2015 and have never seen some of the names on this thread. I see they mostly from the early days as their join dates are 2000, 2001, 2002. and have a few posts, which says they posted after the crash of 2015. Which most posted during the 2016 River tour.  So why not. This time maybe not for anyone person but for the community as a whole. 

In the USA we all could meet in the middle of the US, wait that would be St. Louis, Patty and I will be waiting for you. In England maybe London, Europe maybe Paris? 

It was a huge undertaking, managed by dozens of people who coordinated transferring and sometimes shipping the banner between every show.  The people who were "responsible" for it at each event also gave up their time, in order to have it available right up until show time, and many times at after show parties.

Would it be impossible, no of course not - but I think it would be difficult.

The other topic you mention is the nature of how much the internet has changed in 20+ years.  As much as we may love it, discussion boards are dinosaurs and will eventually go extinct.  In 2002-3 there weren't many other options for Bruce fans. Running a board like this back then was expensive and needed some pretty high level techie skills to keep it running.  We were lucky in that we had a webmaster and a community that has always supported it financially.  There wasn't the dozens of platforms available - there were just a few places for Bruce fans.  Now the internet world is fractured all over the place, with just Facebook having more "Bruce Groups" then we could have ever imagined existing 20 years ago.  If one of our long time members hadn't seen the original post from the nursing home employee, this story about the banner still being around could have easily been missed. 

Another factor is the increasing age of Bruce's fan base.  The responsibilities of life change, and as we get older many have less time and interest for things, and some just fade away and check in only when they see something on the news channels related to Bruce - we got a big uptick in traffic when Bruce drank that tequila and got his traffic ticket.  People wanted to talk about that, and this was a place they could do it.

None of this makes me sad, things change and that's a positive thing - what would make me sad is if this forum was filled with a bunch of old folks, arguing for the 23rd straight year if it is "sways" or "waves".......oh wait ;)

• Like 5

You know I agree with change. But again this is my Bruce fix! Yes I can go elsewhere, but don't. I take that back I do visit ACB every now and than when things are slow here. I don't seek out political forums any more, as I fell all minds are made up. But I do believe with enough people involved even with in or board we can pull this off, maybe to a smaller extent. I bet a couple thousand signatures? 

• Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

It was a huge undertaking, managed by dozens of people who coordinated transferring and sometimes shipping the banner between every show.  The people who were "responsible" for it at each event also gave up their time, in order to have it available right up until show time, and many times at after show parties.

Would it be impossible, no of course not - but I think it would be difficult.

The other topic you mention is the nature of how much the internet has changed in 20+ years.  As much as we may love it, discussion boards are dinosaurs and will eventually go extinct.  In 2002-3 there weren't many other options for Bruce fans. Running a board like this back then was expensive and needed some pretty high level techie skills to keep it running.  We were lucky in that we had a webmaster and a community that has always supported it financially.  There wasn't the dozens of platforms available - there were just a few places for Bruce fans.  Now the internet world is fractured all over the place, with just Facebook having more "Bruce Groups" then we could have ever imagined existing 20 years ago.  If one of our long time members hadn't seen the original post from the nursing home employee, this story about the banner still being around could have easily been missed. 

Another factor is the increasing age of Bruce's fan base.  The responsibilities of life change, and as we get older many have less time and interest for things, and some just fade away and check in only when they see something on the news channels related to Bruce - we got a big uptick in traffic when Bruce drank that tequila and got his traffic ticket.  People wanted to talk about that, and this was a place they could do it.

None of this makes me sad, things change and that's a positive thing - what would make me sad is if this forum was filled with a bunch of old folks, arguing for the 23rd straight year if it is "sways" or "waves".......oh wait ;)

And Terry...

• Haha 1

I remember this during the Rising Tour and pretty sure I signed it, under another name back then, I think in Milwaukee.  

How incredibly touching and moving to know Steve's mom kept it with her until the end.  It obviously meant a lot to her.  How fortunate someone spotted the workers post about it, it was meant to be, a sign.  Which Bruce Facebook page was it on, there's so many different Bruce sites on there.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

7 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

I remember this during the Rising Tour and pretty sure I signed it, under another name back then, I think in Milwaukee.  

How incredibly touching and moving to know Steve's mom kept it with her until the end.  It obviously meant a lot to her.  How fortunate someone spotted the workers post about it, it was meant to be, a sign.  Which Bruce Facebook page was it on, there's so many different Bruce sites on there.

The Facebook group is called “Everything Bruce Springsteen.” I’d never heard of it and only one former GL member belongs to it and spotted the post….edited to say that I joined that group and it looks like there were three former Greasy Lakers there. 

There are several Springsteen Facebook groups.  I belong to a few. One of them, Spring-Nuts, seems to be a close group and I could see them doing something like a banner (they have t-shirts!) but I think Greasy Lake’s banner days are over. Like Mikey said, that’s not a bad thing…it’s just that times have changed. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, gkid8 said:

I was there.  With Quaddy (swear to God), Wildheart, bratosser, smokey.   My first time in the pit.  I was on the C side.  It was incredible.  San Jose, CA 2002.  JudgeBrown was there on Steve's side in the stands if I remember right.  Best show I've ever been to.  

Gello 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, rachelharms said:

Wow, I’m crying reading this. Amazing. This is one of the best things I’ve ever read about. Hits so close to home after everyone here pulling together for RJM this year. 

I had to stop reading for a bit, couldn't see through tears.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Lovely memories. I never got near the banner but followed its journey at the time. Forgot all about it until I read this. 

So nice to see the name @toots again. She sent me stuff from Jersey, things I would never have had the chance to have and that will always mean so much. I have a Stone Pony matchbook she sent me that I look at every day. We got to know each other a wee bit as my original name was Hoots. I came across the Lake in 1999 and its been with me everyday since then pretty much.

Being a Brucie fan for me has been about the people I have been lucky enough to get to know about over the years, not just in person but virtually.  

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:22 PM, Aussie Johnny said:

I remember signing the banner at San Siro in 2003.

Hi! Since you signed at San Siro I am sure we spoke as I was guardian of the banner there!   I received the banner, it’s backpack and numerous sharpies prior to the Vienna show and displayed it outside Ernst Happel and San Siro for all who wished to sign.
 I then carried it aboard my flight  back to the U.S., shipping it back to Jukebox Grad after landing. 
After 18 years!!! I am feeling a bit self conscious regarding this “stink” however.  As has been well documented it was very wet in Milan that night !  
This was a touching story.  Would the archives at Monmouth U. be interested in the banner?

• Like 2